PDA

View Full Version : The Joy of Engineering

SegwayDan
08-09-2005, 11:59 PM
Sometimes you can tell so much about a person by observing or experiencing something they created. By extension, you can tell so much about a company by observing or experiencing its products. Such is the case with Segway, of course, but a friend of mine just sent me this link to a truly amazing ad Honda produced.

http://www.gpdservices.com/HondaAccord.htm

I know Honda by its products. Not necessarily the best in the world, but generally quite capable and of substantial quality and often clever and thoughtful design: motorcycles, generators, cars, etc.

To me, this ad stands as art and as an impressive product of Honda's ad agency. I think it's quite artful, not only in its ultra painstaking attention to detail, but in its aesthetics and the "story telling" it does by including actual parts and components of the car and how they're abstracted to perform their respective "unnatural" tasks.

It's at once humorous and riveting as it severely pushes the envelope of irrelevance in order to yet support the stated message in the voice over.

Part of what makes something art is the impression the artist creates in the viewer of his mastery and the thought in the viewer's mind of how difficult it would be for anyone else to achieve such an effect. What a challenge (and what fun) it must have been for the art director of this ad to have not only come up with the idea, but to have sold it to Honda, and at such an amazingly high price.

But I think the ad accomplishes something significant. It's a truly original approach to the perennial task of communicating the abstract desirable qualities of one's products.

"Segway Dan" Swanson
727-403-2628
www.segwayclearwater.com

Red Seg
08-10-2005, 12:29 AM
quote:To me, this ad stands alone as an impressive product of some ad agency.
I agree! The agency was the London office of Portland, Oregon's Wieden+Kennedy. They are also known for their Miller Beer, Nike and Coke spots.

I like their 5 rules of creativity
http://thinksmart.typepad.com/good_morning_thinkers/2005/05/5_rules_from_wi.html

** Act Stupid
** Shut up
** Always say yes
** Chase Talent
** Be Fearless