PDA

View Full Version : Kimberlys essay comparing wheelchairs to Segways

Stewbonz
08-03-2005, 03:30 AM
Kimberly Hutchens, a student in Bangkok wrote the following essay for a school project.

An investigation into the performance characteristics of the Segway Human Transporter (HT) and the wheelchair.

Preface:
For this essay, I initially wanted to do an investigation and comparison between the facilities available for people with disabilities in western and in Asian countries. As I was collecting data for the investigation in Bangkok, I noticed that the majority of the buildings and sidewalks do not provide ramps to make movement for people in wheelchairs easier. And even for a person who is able to walk, maneuvering on the sidewalks is made difficult with the stalls of clothes, with dogs, beggars, food vendors, and motorcycles driving up and down. One day I noticed a man on a Segway HT riding on Sukhumvit road, going over bumps and potholes easily. I managed to track the man down; his name is Jeff Jarvis (see photo) and he owns a shop in Sukhumvit Soi 4 renting Segway HTs, giving tours on them, and discussing Segway business opportunities with visitors. When I met him, I talked to him about the fact that I am doing an investigation into wheelchairs, and he suggested
doing a comparison between the two. I found his proposal interesting, and changed my topic to “An investigation into the performance characteristics for the disabled of the Segway HT compared to the wheelchair”.

In researching this topic, I made considerable use of the internet, finding articles and background on the Segway HT. I spent several hours with Jeff Jarvis, learning to use the Segway and discussing it. This man knows the Segway inventor personally, and trained at the Segway manufacturing plant in the U.S. In addition to learning how to use the Segway HT, I talked with other Segway riders, and I corresponded with disabled users of the Segway HT. The disabled users gave me their candid comments on using the Segway HT compared to using a wheelchair; their insights were most valuable since no amount of research could duplicate such personal experience. I did the same type of research on the wheelchair, primarily the mechanical wheelchair, not the power wheelchair. I used one personally, I talked with hospital staff about wheelchairs, and I obtained comments by daily users of wheelchairs, both mechanical and electric.

Introduction:
For this investigation, I looked into the characteristics of both the Segway HT (see photo) and the wheelchair in order to compare them. It became obvious that there are significant differences, including some that I did not expect to find. The Segway HT does appear to provide advantages over the wheelchair to physically disabled people in a crowded urban environment, and in illustrating this hypothesis, I intend to cover issues such as cost, size maneuverability, materials and construction, psychological advantages as well as physical advantages in the following paragraphs.

Segway HT Basics:
Dean Kamen, the inventor of the Segway HT, earlier created a device similar to the Segway HT specifically for the disabled – called the IBOT. Kamen came up with the idea of creating the IBOT one day after stepping out of the shower when he slipped, and spun around quickly to stop from falling. This gave him the main idea behind the IBOT – “a self propelled chair on wheels that knows, using gyroscopes and microprocessors, how to keep its balance.” From this he later expanded his ideas and created the Segway HT, a self-balancing two wheeled “scooter” meant primarily for people without disabilities.

The Segway HT is an electric-powered transportation device. Its dimensions are no bigger than the average adult body, and it has the ability to emulate human balance. The Segway HT uses the same space as a pedestrian, and can go almost anywhere a person can walk. The Segway HT allows people at home and at work to go farther, move more quickly, and increase the amount they can carry anywhere they currently walk.

To put it simply, the Segway is made up of a series of sensors, a super micro-processor control system, and a motor system. The sensor system consists of five individual gyroscopes, although it only needs three such units for movement forward, backward and sideways; the two extra sensors are for backup or reserve purposes to make the vehicle completely reliable. All information from the gyroscopes is passed to the “brain” (two electronic controller circuit boards) consisting of a cluster of ten microprocessors which equal three times the processing power of a personal computer. This much processing power is needed for the Segway to maintain balance and control. The result of this sophisticated blend of technology is a relatively small sized, two-wheeled vehicle that is powerful, reliable, fairly comfortable, safe, and is easy to use.

The Segway HT (“I-series) weighs 39 kg and is powered electrically, eliminating pollution. When the batteries are charged, the Segway HT can run for up to 10 km before needing to be recharged. To turn the Segway HT on, one presses the red button on the handlebars. This makes the Segway HT go into balancing mode helping the user to get on, then the driver puts in the desired drive key. The Segway HT has three keys - black, yellow and red. Each key permits or programs the maximum speed that the Segway can run, allowing the users to go at speeds they feel comfortable using The maximum speed that the black key can run is 9.6 km/h (learning mode), yellow at 14.4 km/h (sidewalk operation mode), and the red at 20 km/h (open environment mode). Each key also allows the Segway to turn increasingly easily and quickly since the faster modes make the Segway more responsive.

Since the Segway HT was only introduced to the public in 2002, there haven’t been any physical modifications done to the existing product by the manufacturers. To date it appears that the Segway HT is primarily used for working or business purposes rather than personal entertainment or enjoyment. For example, the Segway HT is widely used in large warehouse complexes because it’s quicker than walking, takes up very little space and is otherwise more convenient than a standard vehicle. And if there is a load to be moved, a cart can be attached to the Segway HT. Municipal police departments are also providing their officers with Segway HTs in some cases, finding them advantageous over cars and, in some cases, over horses or bicycles. They are also being used by mailmen on their routes. The Segway HTs haven’t been as popular for personal or recreational use as originally thought, but, of the Segway HTs that have been sold, some are being used by people in cities who live close to their work and don’t find a need for a car, or are attracted to a “green” vehicle which emits neither noise nor smoke, and is space efficient. As Segway inventor Kamen puts it - “Cars are great for going long distances, but it makes no sense at all for people in cities to use a 4,000 lb piece of metal to haul their 150 lb asses around town.”

Standard Mechanical Wheelchair Basics:
The wheelchair, on the other hand, is not as complicated mechanically, and the basic mechanical wheelchair uses neither electronics nor computers. (There are electric computerized models as well.) It consists of a seat, two large wheels on an axle, which is attached to the back of the seat, and two small wheels near the feet. The user moves the device by pushing with his/her hands on the circular bars attached to the outsides of the large wheels.

For a portion of a day, I was able to test/use a manual wheelchair in the area behind Bamrungrad Hospital, along Sukhumvit Soi 1; I could not get access to a power wheelchair. I found that moving the wheelchair by pushing on the large side wheels was very tiring and difficult. I did not have to use the wheelchair on any hills, which would have been very difficult, but I did encounter speed bumps, potholes, sidewalk and street cracks, pedestrians, motorcycles, cars, and piles of trash. The heat of the day and exhaust from passing cars, plus the difficulty in moving the wheelchair, made the experience very unpleasant. Moving through this small lane was difficult; the little time that I used it on the sidewalk was even more difficult because there was less space, and much of that was crowded by stalls, parked motorcycles and pedestrians. I think that using such a wheelchair in a store, particularly in a department store with tight aisles, would be challenging. I know that powered wheelchairs are more comfortable than the old manual model that I used, and that they can move perhaps a bit faster, but one would still have to be seated in them, moving in the traffic; it would be very difficult to use a wheelchair on a sidewalk in this area of Bangkok. Turning the manual wheelchair could also be difficult on uneven pavement, or in an area with potholes or pavement cracks. The wheelchair that I used was also uncomfortable, and I felt every bump and hole that I went over. After only about 90 minutes, I wanted no more of the wheelchair, but I had to continue simply to get back to the hospital. Noted in my research is the fact that sitting in a wheelchair for long periods can cause health problems. Having used the wheelchair for only a short period, I can understand.

Comparison:
On the Segway HT, one can move very quickly on the street in traffic, or on the sidewalk, even around obstacles and pedestrians. One stands on the Segway, looks over passing cars, and is above the exhaust smoke of cars and trucks. Also one can see traffic problems coming, unlike in a wheelchair. The Segway HT’s wide, soft tires and its power give it the ability to get up and down curbs, transfer from street to sidewalk, and it is narrow enough and maneuverable enough to get through traffic jams easily. The power wheelchair is a bit faster than the manual wheelchair, but neither are maneuverable compared to the Segway HT, and the Segway is far faster. When riding the Segway, the breeze is cooling, but in a wheelchair, one feels only the heat.

The traffic in Bangkok is very dangerous, making safety a very important factor to be considered. The Segway HT, if driven on the road or in a crowded space, can react and stop quickly, and as stated before, even go up curbs. The wheelchair takes time and space to be turned around, unlike the Segway which is able to turn 360 degrees in exactly the same spot.

In addition to the lack of comfort of the mechanical wheelchair, and other problems noted above, I know that moving/carrying a wheelchair in another vehicle is difficult. The manual types are somewhat heavy, and the power wheelchairs weigh even more. The manual models can be collapsed to put into the trunk of a car but are still awkward, and most power models cannot be collapsed; the power wheelchairs can be transported only by vehicles with special lifts and special locks. The Segway HT is a bit heavy – 80-90 pounds – but the handle can be collapsed, and the entire unit can fit into the back seat or into the trunk of a car. It could easily be carried onto a bus, onto the BTS, on onto the subway.

Price of the Segway HT is high, and this ca be a deterrent to a prospective buyer. At this time, a new Segway HT costs more than US $4,000 if purchased in the U.S. A manual wheelchair costs far less, but the price of a power wheelchair ranges between US $4,000 and US $20,000 depending on the features on the wheelchair. The new power wheelchairs offer many features, some controlled by computerized sensors, and even the newer manual wheelchairs are becoming lighter and more comfortable. The former thin, hard rubber tires of the wheelchair have been replaced by more comfortable tires that cushion the user from an uneven pavement. And new types of batteries give the power wheelchairs the ability to travel up to 20 miles…on level pavement. The Segway HT can travel only about 15 kilometers before needing to be recharged, but it can cover that distance more than three times as fast as a power wheelchair, and in greater comfort. And the Segway has no problem climbing hills.

I think the difference in the ease of movement for both devices is partially because of the tires. Tires (Michelin) have been custom designed for the Segway HT, made from a silica-based compound to help enhance traction and minimize marking on indoor floors. The specially engineered tubeless construction allows for low pressure for comfort and traction while minimizing rolling resistance for a long range. The tires are quite wide and light. I have had the Segway HT roll over my feet a couple of times by accident when I was wearing sandals, and it felt no different than a person stepping on my feet. The width and the traction of the tires help to get up ramps and prevent getting stuck in little ditches, unlike the wheels of a wheelchair, which are no more than an inch in width. Wheelchair wheels are more likely to get stuck between small cracks in the ground or ruts in the pavement or sidewalk. The two small wheels in the front of the wheelchair just exacerbate the problem- especially if there are small potholes on the street or sidewalk.

As well as the obvious physical differences between the two devices, I found that when I sat in the wheelchair, I felt very small (half the height of others) and very, for lack of a better word, disabled because everyone turned to stare at me. So I noted a definite psychological difference in the two transportation devices. During this investigation I talked with a number of people who use wheelchairs, and a common response from them is that they feel like they are not normal, and that they are looked down upon. In fact, the Paralyzed Veterans of America (PVA) have campaigned for “civil rights and equal opportunities for people with disabilities”, demanding respect, dignity, and opportunities for people with disabilities. There was also evidence shown in one case, which was taken to the U.S. Supreme Court, that “a number of mechanisms cause people, consciously or unconsciously, to form negative attitudes toward persons with disabilities”. They made statements specifically about the wheelchair- . “it's degrading to be a couple of feet below everyone else all the time”

The Segway HT seems to be a far better device than the wheelchair for transporting people who have difficulty walking …in some cases. If the person is not able to stand for long periods of time, finds it difficult to move himself in a wheelchair, or doesn’t want to be looked down on, he may opt to add a seat to the Segway HT. Although there have not been any changes made to the design for adding seats, owners or those who need to sit down custom design and make their own seats. For example, paraplegic Leonard Timm; he has just taken a plywood box, added foam to the top of it, and secured it to the Segway HT platform over the weight sensors. To get on the Segway HT, he lays it against his bed and slides on. (See photo of Leonard in a Thai Hilltribe village. Note that he has the handgrip fully compressed.)

COMMENT FROM segway CHAT,
trigeek
Starting Member

USA
Seattle, Washington
9 Posts
Posted - Sep 05 2004 : 12:26:37 PM

what a great topic! will your paper be online? i would love to have access to it as an advocate for disabled kids.

what are the advantages of a segway over an electric wheelchair? well, you just have to spend a day in wheelchair to know the answer to that one! the world isn't made for wheelchairs. it's degrading to be a couple of feet below everyone else all the time, to roll up to a counter and have the person behind it not be able to see you, to be limited in where you can go both indoors and out because of your mobility abilities and size (large footprint). i could go on and on but suffice it to say being in a wheelchair was very limiting for me.

more specifically, a wheelchair just wouldn't cut it for my job. i'm a pediatrician. i work in a hospital. the counters (with phones, charts, paperwork, vital signs, computers...) are all at standing height. patient beds and incubators are also. yet because of my rheumatoid arthritis i can't run around for 30 hour shifts as demanded by my job. i solidify after about 4 hours on a good day! the segway is an absolute lifesaver. i scoot wherever i want to. noone looks down to me. i squeeze in tight spaces. i can move quickly down the hallway. i can be at the height i need to reach my charts and write orders.

there's another factor that's significant for me but i'm not sure how common an issue it is.. i am able to stand. i can step on and off a segway. in fact, i'd be in pain if i had to sit for hours. but prior to the segway there were really only two mobility options, walk or sit in a wheelchair. how odd would it be for me to wheel around then stand up when i got to my destination and walk around for a bit? it'd feel weird. with the segway, i step off it and park it somewhere when i'm going to be in one spot for a bit, for example in a patient's room. i can sit on a chair for a while, or stretch my joints.. not sure if i'm explaining that part right it's just easier to move in and out of than a wheelchair."

I found that the Segway HT would not be appropriate for all disabled persons. Although it can be used by paraplegics (as shown above), others with such severe disabilities might not be so adventurous or might otherwise find the Segway HT not suitable to their needs. The Segway HT offers speed, power, travel distance, safety, stability and reliability. This combination of advantages appears to be most appealing to disabled persons who do retain some natural mobility, but for example cannot walk for long distances or stand for long periods of time unassisted; the pediatrician (show at the left.) gives an excellent account of her reliance on the Segway HT. In many cases, depending either on health reasons or personal preference, a traditional or powered wheelchair would be more appropriate than the Segway HT, or the iBot might be preferable if the user needed assistance in climbing stairs, for example. (The Segway HT can climb or go over small curbs, but it generally cannot be used for climbing stairs.)

Conclusion:

Segway HT Standard Manual Wheelchair
Size Platform Height: 21 cm
Footprint: 48 x 64 cm

Seat Width: 40.6 cm
Seat Depth: 40.6 cm
Seat Distance from Floor: 48 cm
Arm Height from Seat: 25.4 cm
Arm Height from Floor: 74 cm
Overall Height: 92 cm
Overall Width-Opened: 60 cm
Overall Width-Closed: 30 cm
Cost $4000 $500 to $4000 depending on brand and models
Weight 39 kg (Without footrest) 17 kg
Comfort Comfortable. But if you stand for too long or wear the wrong shoes it gets uncomfortable. Seat is, however when you push yourself your arms begin to hurt and the edges of the armrest dig into you.
Ease of Use Lean forward to move forward, lean backwards to move backwards, and stand straight to stop from moving. Can move easily up curbs and on uneven terrain. Depends on the situation. If it is on a smooth paved road it is easy. However going over uneven terrain or up curbs is difficult.
Environmentally Friendly Runs on electricity. When batteries are finished, to reduce environmental damage, customers are advised to bring old batteries to recycling centers. Human powered
Psychological Benefits When on the Segway HT, you are at the same height as others. Feel smaller and less significant because people have to look down when talking to you. When wheeling along the road, a lot of people give “sympathetic” glances at you.
Compactability When the Segway HT needs to be transported in a small space, it can be taken apart and put into a box. The manual wheelchair cannot be taken apart but it can fold width ways. The length and height remain the same
Safety Redundant electrical systems.
Robust mechanical systems

From the table above, it is obvious that the Segway HT is a far superior mode of transportation- especially when it comes to comfort and ease of use. However, as stated above, the Segway HT is not for everyone. Those with difficult walking long distances but who still have strength to stand may find using the Segway HT a far better option rather than the wheelchair. However for people who are wheelchair bound, there are modifications that could be made to the Segway HT that will enable them to use it and feel more “psychologically” comfortable in public. I have said that since the Segway HT has only been introduced to the public three years ago, there have not been any physical moderations made to it. But people such as Leonard Timm, have customized their Segway HT’s to suit their personal needs. This is possible since, with the cavities available (see picture at right) so that a seat can be put in. Please refer to Appendix B for the rough sketch of the possible seat that could be attached. Naturally, the type of seat that is chosen will depend on the individual.

For those who are not able to use the Segway HT, even if they modified it to suit their needs, Dean Kamen, the inventor of the Segway HT, has created the Ibot- a revolutionary electronic wheelchair which can climb up stairs and raise up on the back two wheels in order to help the user to access hard to reach places, for example high cabinets. The Ibot sells for the price of $29,00; more than most people are willing to pay. In that case, the standard mechanical wheelchair is able to be modified (only not so much). The cushions of the seat as well as the arm rests can be changed easily. Perhaps the tires as well to thicker, higher quality rubber, reducing the chances of getting stuck in cracks along the pavement or potholes.

JEFF JARVIS
http://www.thailandsegwaytours.com/

pam
08-03-2005, 08:01 AM
I'd give that young woman an 'a' - no question about it.
Pam

X-man
08-03-2005, 07:54 PM
A+

Bob.

Life is not about how fast you run, or how high you climb, but how well you bounce.

woodenapple
08-04-2005, 03:13 PM
I agree that she did an excellent job on her paper. As more people see newspaper articles or papers such as this, more people will have their eyes opened to the possibilities - the life changing possibilities!

Rodney

May all your days be Segway days!