PDA

View Full Version : i180 – maneuverability?

Haecceity
07-18-2005, 11:15 PM
I'm posting this in the sub-forum for those with disabilities because that is the perspective I am seeking. I plan to take an i180 for a test-run within the next few days, but I'd really appreciate some feedback from those who would know, personally, as well.

Segway's website touts the "power assist mode." Just how helpful is that? How easy/difficult is it to ascend and descend stairs? Have any of the posters in this forum been able to do so without assistance? How easy/difficult is it to transfer the Segway into and out of a car?

Thanks.

Tarkus
07-19-2005, 04:17 PM
I think that would depend on the type of disability you have. In my case I had a spinal cord injury that has cost me use of toes & lots of other strange "it doesn't work any more".

The power assists works well for me but I don't ever need to go up more that a few at a time. If your talking lots of stairs I would look for the elevator.I have seen able body people do stairs but I'm not about to try it as can ill aford a fall. I will bump down curbs though.

You won't lift it into the trunk unless your a real body builder type. Too heavy and awekward. I use a 5' folding ramp from Harbor Fright (80.00) to load into my 2 door blazer. Works great and only takes about 3min to load or unload.

I have good general mobility but anything other than a rutine short walk and I need help, & "Tarkus", my 180, is always ready to go.

Inside or out with a little practice you can go about anywhere.

Good Luck

Haecceity
07-19-2005, 07:11 PM
Thanks for responding, Tarkus. It's good to have additional perspective(s).

I'm not thinking about more than a few stairs, so your post leaves me optimistic.

I looked up that ramp, though, and I'm now thinking that I seriously underestimated the sheer size of a Segway! I'd have to get a ramp or simular, at the very least. I am far from being a bodybuilder, heh.

Thanks again.

Tarkus
07-19-2005, 07:32 PM
just re-read your post. I can move it up/down stairs solo in power assist. I don't RIDE up/down stairs although I've seen the kids do it.

Haecceity
07-19-2005, 07:34 PM
I weigh just over 100lbs. Riding would possibly be do-able, you think?

Tarkus
07-19-2005, 09:58 PM
I won't recomend it, but I've seen it done.

austin@SOH
07-21-2005, 09:16 AM
The Segway is great for many things but, I do not recommend riding it up and down any type of staircase. That is a perfect way to injur yourself and/or the machine. Once those handlebars take that first hard blow, it usually results in a $400 repair, at least.

Power assist mode is great for taking it up and down stairs. It allows you to control the full torque of the motors and as long as you are in the front of the Segway, I have found you can pull it up and down almost anything. A few of our customers had a physical disability which permitted them to lift the Segway so, they went out and bought a pair of ramps for their cars, and they load it with ease. It really is a great machine with very few limitations and if you push them, it might cause you to get hurt.

Austin Colby (Austin@SOH)
Segway of Hagerstown
339 West Antietam Street
Hagerstown, MD 21740
Phone: (301) 766-0488 Mon-Fri 10am-6pm EST
Fax: (301) 766-0215

Haecceity
07-21-2005, 06:37 PM
Thanks for your feedback as well, Austin—it's duly noted. I suppose I could [*gasp* ;)] always ask for assistance if I found getting a Seg up and downstairs on my own too difficult.

dgbint
07-21-2005, 09:02 PM
Welcome

If you weigh about 100 pounds,you might want to check out a p Series.
It's generally smaller and lighter, but functionally almost identical.

Good Luck
Michael

austin@SOH
07-25-2005, 03:16 PM
I also agree with Michael, if you are right around that 100 lb mark, try the "p" series. It weighs about 70 lbs and is easier to move than the "i". The range and top speed are a little less, but than again, so is the price sticker. If you have any questions please let me know and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Austin Colby (Austin@SOH)
Segway of Hagerstown
339 West Antietam Street
Hagerstown, MD 21740
Phone: (301) 766-0488 Mon-Fri 10am-6pm EST
Fax: (301) 766-0215