PDA

View Full Version : What it did for me.

Hans
07-10-2005, 06:57 PM
I thought about posting this on the gereral forum but I think it concerns mostly us older types that are fighting arthritis. Like many folks I watched the Segway development with interest but didn't think it was really for me. Then I read about the new model XT to be released and I got kind of excited.

Retired, I have been fortunate enough to work in a small college town, Manhattan, Kansas (the locals call it the Little Apple) but always inside. Thus, my spare time was spent on outdoor activity, running dogs, hunting with a camera, enjoying the flora and fauna, etc. That all left me about ten years ago when arthritis began to get the best of me. At his point I can barely walk .25 mile around a perfectly level, air-conditioned mall. Add a two percent grade and that can be cut in half and the walking speed almost stops.

Well, after the usual research and finding that Medicare and the state insurance agencies didn't even want to begin to help unless you could sit on it inside your home, I understood why LLC put the statement "not a medical device" in the description. Asking the medical doctors I know about it resulted in shaking heads and arms thrown in the air as if to say "yet another crazy government rule." My doctor was quick enough, however, to write a perscription for an XT and that should leave me clear to write it off as a medical expense. I bought the XT in early May but it did not arrive until eight weeks later. Lots of excuses from the dealer were forthcoming.

Anyway the long and short of it is that I'm gliding the trails and the fields now much like I used to walk them and as such it has given me some 10 years of life back. Thanks Segway.

One other thing may be worth noting. LLC recommends that a person should always be above the machine when going up or down a hill. I agree with the down part but not with the up part, at least not for us old arthritic types. I can put it in power assist mode, get on the down side, keep my feet under me and it will pull me up a hill that I could never make on foot, even with a walking stick.

I hope this will help some other folks make a good decision regarding a Segway to glide on. Did I mention --"it's fun"!

Hanley Jackson

Tarkus
07-12-2005, 02:30 PM
Thats great to hear ! It's not just "older types" who have had there life changed by the HT.

I suffered a spinal cord injury 8 months ago. I was told I would never walk again but now can stand, walk and function to some extent. The one problem was long range mobility and with the Segway thats now gone.

Good luck & safe gliding

legpain
07-14-2005, 11:56 AM
Welcome Hans!

I see you're not a member of DRAFT. Would you please go to WWW.DRAFT.CC and join? This is a great story and you can cut and paste this story over there.

Thanks,
John

Lastquest
10-02-2005, 03:54 AM
Dear Mr. Jackson;

It is sad that Life is So Short! You sound like you are the kind of man I would have enjoyed to know! But I think I do know You!

As a handicap man at 53, I fight every day to enjoy what God has given me! Life is Too Good!

I had become withdrawn until I got my Segway! Now I Love to get out and glide. Dozens of people stop to talk with me because of my Segway. In can look "Eye to Eye" with my fellow man. They are amazed with my HT and most would like to try it! I have let hundreds of people glide on my Segway. I have a responsibility to promote the gift Mr. Kamen has given me!!! Thanks Dean! I will meet you to Thank You personally!

Genius is rare, my favorite is Edison; right after him is Kamen!

GO Mr. Jackson....Glide RSVP LastQuest@Comcast.net Love to Hear form You!

gbrandwood
10-02-2005, 10:58 AM
I do think this would have been equally suited in the general forum. "What has a segway ever done for us?" (monty python style) :). Still, it's great to hear how positive an effect these machines are having. Nice post to read - thanks and good luck!

-

To segue, or not to segue, that is the question.

Dragan
10-06-2005, 06:35 AM
Hans,
It's really great to hear another story about how the Segway has improved someone's quality of life. I've been amazed at the number of mobility impaired customers who have found us, the Segway, and regained freedom in their lives that they invariably thought was gone forever.

I know other dealers have stories of customers who's lives have changed because of the Segway; my favorite is one of our first mobility impaired customers. He arrived at the store on a mobility scooter, almost unable to take a single step without assistance. He suffers from MS, is a young man, with a young family and seemed to have a permanent frown on his face. The first time on the Segway was a challenge both for him and I; I wasn't at all sure he would be able to manage, but he did.

After an hour of practice, we decided that he would be wise to test a machine prior to buying, so we loaned him one for a week. I got a phone call after three days from him - he wanted to buy. He came back to the store a few days later a changed man. A smile was plastered on his face, he was animated, telling us about all of things he had done in the previous week that he had been unable to do for nearly a decade. The topic of walking his kids to school brought tears to his eyes and ours too...it was obvious how significant this accomplishment was to him.

When we were getting his new machine ready to go, I asked him if he wanted me to transfer his handicapped placard to the segway from his scooter and he said "NO WAY!" very emphatically. He followed that with the explanation that on the Segway, he wasn't handicapped anymore, and didn't need it. He's said several times since that the Segway beats back the beast (his MS) and let's him live again.

We've also had calls from his family telling us how much his quality of life has improved in the last 6 months, and it's really gratifying to be able to be a part of that.
This Segway thing...it's truly something else!!
Keep on enjoying the glide!
Wayne

Segway of Alberta - Calgary
www.mysegway.ca

Sal
10-06-2005, 09:24 AM
I LOVE to read stories like the ones above!

Thank you for making my Thursday a little brighter!

-Sal

Think Different
www.apple.com

Segway Chat Member since July 2003
Segway Owner since August 2003

Gaye
11-05-2005, 04:47 PM
Simply INSPIRATIONAL!
I have some difficulty with walking (an inherited problem with osteo arthritis) but I have a 6 year old daughter that I am anxious not to limit by my disability. Some of my fondest memories of my parents are walking in the countryside and I would like that for her too.
It was suggested that I look at a Segway as it would improve my mobility without drawing too much attention to my disability. Children can tease and although I can take it I would prefer my daughter not to have to; I would just look like a normal mummy having fun with her daughter!
However it has become quite clear I simply cannot afford a new Segway and am looking for a reliable second hand one.
Thanks everyone above for the inspiring anecdotes - aren't folk brilliant!?
Gaye

I'd like to fly like a bird and gliding on a Segway would surely be the next best thing?!

dutchman
11-07-2005, 06:24 PM
Dragan thanks for sharing this story. Hans also thanks for sharing. I am a new user (1 whole day now) and I have a disability. I have RA (Rheumatoid Arthritis) and have difficulty walking longer distances. Now after just one day I feel so much better. I know this is going to help me so much in life thanks.
Andre

Gaye
11-14-2005, 06:47 AM
I now qualify to speak about Segways as my Segway i170 arrived yesterday.
I have osteo arthritis quite severely in my left hip so thought long and hard (and searched long and hard too!) before I purchased my HT. Yesterday was my inaugural run; TOTALLY and PHENOMENALLY brilliant!
I had a bit of a practise on nice flat concrete area and then joined all my family (incuding the dogs) on a mile long country walk long a farm track. Incidentally I can see the value of getting one of those comfort mats as on rough terrain you are are a trifle knackered!
ABSOLUTELY SUPERB! My little one said "Mummy you've never been this far with us before and now you can come out with us all the time, and you haven't got your sore hip AND you can even take me out on my bicycle!"
It made every single penny and all the effort worthwhile!
Even my husband (who knew nothing of my purchase until it arrived!) was mightily impressed and took to it like the proverbial duck to water. He isn't looking forward to the credit card bill arriving though!
I am a very happy and lucky lady. Thank God (or Dog if you are dyslexic!) we live in an era of inventors and entrepreneurs.
Forget my aspiration to fly with the birds; Segway has to be more fun!
Gaye
PS My daughter likes everything to have names and so my Segway is now Harriet the Chariot!
PPS I Believe if you have a disability you don't need to allow it to restrict your entire life but I would recommend you find a dealer and TRY one before you purchase. I am originally a nursing sister and can see that some conditions would make SAFE Segway riding a little difficult. And safety has to be paramount (even superceding fun!)

Gliding, like cleanliness, is close to godliness!

Gliding, like cleanliness, is close to godliness!

Georgem
01-09-2006, 04:56 AM
I am new to many worlds here. I am new to forums and chatting, and also new to posting. I am newly retired from a government position, and relatively new at being terminally ill with Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS.) I saw a fellow on a Segway in September and saw an immediate solution to one of my problems.

During my 21 years in the Army and 22 years in the Civil Service with the Army, I have dragged my wife to wherever the Army needed me. She went without complaint, but the plan was that, upon retirement, we would move to where there is a beach. She loves to walk on a beach, and the price is right for retired sergeants.

We moved to Florida this Fall, but I am no longer able to walk any great distances, particularly over sand. I saw a fellow on a Segway, googled Segway, found a local dealer, and ordered an XT. It took a month to get it, and I have only been on the beach with it three times since, but being able to go with her has been priceless.

I am not sure that I needed an XT. A normal i180 might have done as well, and the XT is a bit of a brute, but I got it now and I am enjoying it as best I can.

Coming down with

Gaye
01-09-2006, 04:22 PM
Congratulations Georgem on your new mobility!
I do think maybe you made the right decision in getting an XT as it must cope better with sand than an i170 or i180.
If you ever fancy a house swop for a 400 year old thatched house in the English countryside then I will leave my i170 for you to use!! However I would also be leaving you my spaniel and beagle!
I envy you the walking on the beach!
Keep well and live life to the full.
Regards,
Gaye

Segway - LITERALLY revolutionising my life!

Gaye
01-13-2006, 08:24 AM
Georgem (and others)
Just been reading about a new seat that may come out that can be attached and used with a Segway.
Might be worth a look - it's on this SegwayChat - especially for Georgem as with your Lou Gehrig's Disease you may have days that you would like to use your Segway but would not really want to face that long a standing period.
I believe they will be around $800 (quite a hefty price tag!) and available possibly from end of January?
Gaye

Segway - LITERALLY revolutionising my life!

Atin
01-28-2006, 03:02 PM
I dont consider myself old, I just turned 40 last August. But I suffer from Spinal Arthritis (Ankliosing Spondalitis) and MS..
It had gotten to the point I couldnt even go to my mailbox..
Since getting my HT yesterday I have been back and forth to the mailbox about a hundred times..
I cant beleive the freedom I feel when Im using it..
Yesterday bafter I bought it, the sales person took me to Bicentenial park in Nashville, it is not a big park, but big enough I had never been able to see it..
We saw it yesterday afternoon. What a pleasure to get done with all that sight seeing and not be in horrid pain or fatigued to the point of taking a nap..
I also cant wait till March. Part of my hobby is doing charity work for the Star Wars people. I can now for the first time participate in a parade like the rest of our people and not from the front seat of a car..
Sorry if Im rambling, but I have not felt this young since I was diagnosed 10 years ago with MS...

Atin Miller
501st Southern Outpost Star Wars Stormtrooper Legion
http://highlandcitadel.com/501stso/

Tarkus
01-29-2006, 11:19 PM
quote:Originally posted by Atin

I dont consider myself old, I just turned 40 last August. But I suffer from Spinal Arthritis (Ankliosing Spondalitis) and MS..
It had gotten to the point I couldnt even go to my mailbox..
Since getting my HT yesterday I have been back and forth to the mailbox about a hundred times..
I cant beleive the freedom I feel when Im using it..
Yesterday bafter I bought it, the sales person took me to Bicentenial park in Nashville, it is not a big park, but big enough I had never been able to see it..
We saw it yesterday afternoon. What a pleasure to get done with all that sight seeing and not be in horrid pain or fatigued to the point of taking a nap..
I also cant wait till March. Part of my hobby is doing charity work for the Star Wars people. I can now for the first time participate in a parade like the rest of our people and not from the front seat of a car..
Sorry if Im rambling, but I have not felt this young since I was diagnosed 10 years ago with MS...

Atin Miller
501st Southern Outpost Star Wars Stormtrooper Legion
http://highlandcitadel.com/501stso/

Welcome. Be sure to check www.draft.cc