PDA

View Full Version : Reasonable reply

gbrandwood
07-10-2005, 12:49 PM
As I arrived at a pedestrian controlled crossing, I found myself waiting next to a man and woman with a baby in a push chair. The man asked me how much the seg cost, and the woman, just a our little green man appeared, shook her head and said, "well i just think they're lazy". Without delay, I said, "well, it depends how far you're going, and how quickly you want to get there" and then sped off leaving them to ponder!

Felt that was a reasonably polite response and put forward my case quite succinctly :).

-

To segue, or not to segue, that is the question.

PD1
07-10-2005, 01:09 PM
I think that sums it up very well. A point brought out at Segfest was that a average person (in America) would walk less than a mile before opting for another form of transportation. I was surprised how short the distance was. Your response lets the listener ponder how far they would walk and consider a Seg instead of a car. PD1

The Seg I ride is named after my Aunt Eileen.

KSagal
07-10-2005, 01:14 PM
While having a great time at segfest, a photographer and his wife came out of a Wedding reception at the hotel.

He approached and was friendly enough, but very cocky. He said matter-of-factly that He saw no reason why if a person could walk, they would use a segway...

I thought for a moment, considered clobbering him with a potted plant for being so aggressively ignorant.

Instestead, I told him that I generally don't make judgements on what other people should do in their lives, especially when you don't know anything about them...

I relayed a story about when I was 20 and a security guard part time at a hospital... Late at night a person wanted into a locked and secure part of the building complex. He was passing thru. I explained that he would have to go a different way, It was much further but did not go thru restricted areas, and that it was his only option, therefore I could see no reason why he was arguing with me...

He said that because of his Quad bypass, he could not make the extra long walk, and that I should not have judged the situation with out knowing... He was right...

I went on to tell the photographer, who had only seen me on the seg, that he did not know that I am a veteran with an artificial joint (Actually massively reconstructed...) and that most days you could not tell, I did not know what would be the situation down the road...

I went on to tell him of the many projects that I do ala seg, that could not be done effectivly while walking... and all the dinosaur juice that I don't burn doing it...

I pointed out some individuals with different generic stories, from the guy doing research for a fuel cell manufacturer, to the various other stories...

By now the wife was giving him the look that only wives are able to give, you know with the one eyebrow up, that says, "You opened your big mouth, and now you look like an idiot!"

He appologised for being so presumptive, and we had a nice conversation...

Karl Ian Sagal

Each road you travel should be just a bit better for having had you pass.

BarnyFife
07-10-2005, 08:03 PM
I like to ask them back if they think someone on a motorcycle is lazy and why don't they walk.

amturnip
07-10-2005, 09:08 PM
quote:As I arrived at a pedestrian controlled crossing, I found myself waiting next to a man and woman with a baby in a push chair. The man asked me how much the seg cost, and the woman, just a our little green man appeared, shook her head and said, "well i just think they're lazy".

So let the little squirt get up and walk, then!

KSagal
07-10-2005, 10:54 PM
quote:Originally posted by gbrandwood

As I arrived at a pedestrian controlled crossing, I found myself waiting next to a man and woman with a baby in a push chair.

I frequently speak directly to the todler in this situation. I say, "The smart ones are always on wheels..."

Karl Ian Sagal

Each road you travel should be just a bit better for having had you pass.

yosgof
07-11-2005, 09:03 PM
In Israel there is a saying that roughly translates as “The jealous ones shall perish first”. :D

- Yossi
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/3365119-lg.jpg

wwhopper
07-11-2005, 09:17 PM
I was gliding tonight in Newport RI - an early American town, with no sidewalks and small streets with little parking.

I glided from one side of town to the other to meet a friend for a drink.

As I was gliding along someone in a car said - why don't you walk. I came up to them at a stop light in traffic and as I was parking my SEG - said - you really should get rid of that car and ride a Segway! Get out into the open air and enjoy this lovely town you live in.

They just looked at me like I was nuts!

Which maybe I am - but a glide down cottage row and into town was turely wonderful.

Though my hosts are tired of me saying the word SEGWAY! Though everyone wants a ride on one!

Maybe I won't go home - Segfest DC can happen on its own!

Will W Hopper
DCSEG Member
Come out to the Mid-Atlantic Regional SEG America Event - SegwayFest - DC Sept 23-25 in Washington DC - The Most Segway Friendly City in America!

soloseg
07-11-2005, 10:21 PM
I have came up with a come back line that stops the Seg complainers dead in their tracks....

When I encounter a snide remark from some walker, I just smile and say I have a defective heart valve and this is the only way I can get out and enjoy the nice day.....

I wish them good health and glide off.....

Tarkus
07-11-2005, 10:37 PM
I say nothing as I have no need to defend my choices to strangers.

drolsinatas
07-11-2005, 10:56 PM
In an attempt to avoid all of this, I let everyone try my Segway. The negative people instantly "get it". They ask why? I say "why not?" It's just something else to have. We all know how much money we spend on pot, beers, and dunkin donuts. Why not change it up?

Not to change the subject, and I'll start a new post for this, but last night was the first time I rode ("glided") completely WAISTED and IT... WAS....AWESOME!

This thing rules.

gbrandwood
07-12-2005, 04:03 PM
You were wearing a tight belt? Will have to try it ;)

-

Sailor
07-12-2005, 09:06 PM
It's the really odd one liners people will randomly yell at me that crack me up the most - I find that when people actually discuss the Segway with me they quickly agree that it's a valid alternative (often using tactics like Karl relates above).

The one liners though, they can be memorable - especially when yelled from a truck. My favorite so far was "Walking's Faster".

citivolus
07-12-2005, 11:09 PM
quote:Originally posted by wwhopper

I was gliding tonight in Newport RI - an early American town, with no sidewalks and small streets with little parking.
Wow, you were way down Ocean Drive. A Segway must be the best thing for a town that has a one-way street that's one-way in alternating directions. I had friends that used to live between First and Second Beach. I'd recommend a visit to Purgatory Chasm and a glide down Cliffwalk. I promise you won't forget it.

--
swiftly flying