PDA

View Full Version : Segway telephony

adobephile
07-10-2005, 10:28 AM
My wife and I recently changed our residence, and we took the occasion to cancel our land line(s) service with Verizon. We realized that we could manage all of our calls quite nicely via Cingular wireless and save quite a bit of money in the process. Cingular lets us share minutes between our two numbers on one plan, and it has rollover minutes, too, as well as free call between us and all other Cingular subscribers.

We had upgraded our phones a year or two ago to Nokia 3650s, mainly because of their Bluetooth capabilities and their compatibility with Apple Computer's iSync and .Mac systems which provide automatic and wireless synchronizing of data (Address book and calendars) between phones and computers. Though not without a few quirks and limitations, this setup has worked well for us.

Now recently, we each acquired Bluetooth headsets for our phones. The Motorola HS850's are also working well and having their own impacts on our respective lifestyles. We had used the conventional wired headsets, especially while driving. But the cord would constantly snag on things, and the earbuds were either uncomfortable or would fall out, usually at the most inopportune times.

For me the wired headset would blow out of my ear when I was gliding at any speed. And the wind noise made any underway phone conversations impossible. It was also way too awkward to dial numbers while gliding, as my belt clip phone holder isn't quite made for the 3650 and obscures its face in a leather pouch. Previous swivel belt clips have all broken.

Now with the BTH, it cancels wind noise much more effectively so that I can actually converse while gliding. And I can voice dial, too! Wow. What a difference. It's quite a unique sensation, actually, not only to be gliding, which is its own thrill, but to be "in touch" telephonically at the same time.

Of course, this connectedness extends to non-Segway situations in the car and elsewhere. I can leave the phone at my desk (velcroed to my computer monitor!) and still make and receive calls, for example.

What I look forward to next is an enhancement which will allow multiple simultaneous connections for the headset which will allow simultaneous use between phone and computer. My Mac's Bluetooth would enable the headset to be used for voice control of it as well as with video teleconferencing over my broadband internet connection. That would really be sweet.

"The job of art is to chase ugliness away."
Bono, U2.
From a personal appearance
at an Apple Computer music event.
October 26, 2004

Daniel Swanson
http://www.van-garde.com

KSagal
07-10-2005, 01:35 PM
Dan,

Sound wonderful... Say, you don't happen to have a bandaide holding your glasses together, do you?

Karl Ian Sagal

Each road you travel should be just a bit better for having had you pass.

adobephile
07-10-2005, 07:49 PM
quote:Originally posted by KSagal

Dan,

Sound wonderful... Say, you don't happen to have a bandaide holding your glasses together, do you?

Karl Ian Sagal

Each road you travel should be just a bit better for having had you pass.

Ha. Ha. Ha. Very funny. The supreme gadgeteer calling the kettle black. ;)

Perhaps when you poor Mass hicks get cellular service you can play with my kind of toys, too!

"The job of art is to chase ugliness away."
Bono, U2.
From a personal appearance
at an Apple Computer music event.
October 26, 2004

Daniel Swanson
http://www.van-garde.com