PDA

View Full Version : my segway won't start! please help

hereiam
07-04-2005, 10:28 AM
when I put my key into the keyhole all the segway does is beeps but no display pops up. Please help me.

pam
07-04-2005, 01:43 PM
Sounds like the Beep-no-start problem that occasionally occurs for us. I haven't had it since I got upgraded to the 12.0 software, but it did occur a couple of times before that.

One thought is that if you try to restart the HT too quickly after you've turned it off, it might cause it. That never explained why it would happen for me after sitting in the office for a couple of hours.

There are two different techniques that are supposed to work. One is to quickly tap the key into the key contact for a number of times (20-50??). The second (which I always used, instead) was to take off the control shaft and unplug and replug the two cords inside. That was like a hard boot on the computer. Worked like a charm every time. In fact, I have quick release bolts on both my units just in case I need to do it again.

Good luck!
Pam

X-man
07-04-2005, 02:00 PM
Try Pam's suggestion.
I had a machine that did that three times in a short period of time and took the CS off for a hard re-boot ala her instructions so I bought a quick release for that machine and it hasn't happened since. That was over a year ago.
I think I scared it.

Bob.

"Every dog in office is obeyed with such unquestioning meekness, that every dog in office is tempted to become a cur."
William Hepworth Dixon - New America

drolsinatas
07-04-2005, 05:09 PM
check to make sure the steering is not engaged at all. or maybe the mode button is stuck.

This thing rules.

amturnip
07-04-2005, 11:41 PM
An old thread -- http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5831 -- contains some wisdom not yet repeated here.

yosgof
07-05-2005, 12:10 AM
quote:Originally posted by pam

Sounds like the Beep-no-start problem that occasionally occurs for us. I haven't had it since I got upgraded to the 12.0 software, but it did occur a couple of times before that.

One thought is that if you try to restart the HT too quickly after you've turned it off, it might cause it. That never explained why it would happen for me after sitting in the office for a couple of hours.

There are two different techniques that are supposed to work. One is to quickly tap the key into the key contact for a number of times (20-50??). The second (which I always used, instead) was to take off the control shaft and unplug and replug the two cords inside. That was like a hard boot on the computer. Worked like a charm every time. In fact, I have quick release bolts on both my units just in case I need to do it again.

Good luck!
Pam

Pam, what do you mean by heaving a quick release on both you units? I though both were firmly attached. :D

- Yossi
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/3365119-lg.jpg

voiceguy
07-05-2005, 05:23 AM
Happy Independence Day - Morning after!

On the rare occassion I have experienced the no-start-up situation, I do something simple which seems to enable the machine every time.

If there is no start-up after a coupla trys, I give the on/off button a press, wait one second or so (I don't know if this is necessary) and then try again to start with the key. It's worked, I think, every time.

If you guys could try this next time a no-start happens, I'd be very interested to see if this solution works for others.

A quick button press would sure beat a C/S removal ... or even repeated (key) taps.

Voiceguy

"All I need is a full battery ... and a star to steer her by"

pam
07-05-2005, 07:01 AM
Can't tell if you're teasing or not, Yossi - I'm such a literal kind of gal. Anyway, the quick releases are here...

http://shop.segway.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=7

(and a little gentle teasing is ok, too {grin})
Pam

yosgof
07-05-2005, 07:47 AM
Pam - Thanks, I ordered one from Dragan and am waiting for it to arrive. And of course I was teasing :D

Oh and one more thing, when you say you are a literal kind of gal am I to assume you teach literature? :D:D:D

- Yossi
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/3365119-lg.jpg

pam
07-05-2005, 07:46 PM
That's a very big grin! I wouldn't teach literature. I might have to give up reading my mysteries and science fiction!
Pam