PDA

View Full Version : How wet is too wet ?

Tarkus
07-03-2005, 12:51 PM
I've read the info on drying out a Seg after a heavy rain but I would like some "real world" input on the subject.

Thanks

X-man
07-03-2005, 08:35 PM
I have heard of occasions where the charging port was taped shut (waterproofed) and then the machine was driven though a pool.
Not recommended however.
Answering your question - keep the charging port dry and you should be OK but all bets are off if there is any thunder and lightening.

Bob.

"Every dog in office is obeyed with such unquestioning meekness, that every dog in office is tempted to become a cur."
William Hepworth Dixon - New America

KSagal
07-04-2005, 01:07 AM
At an event last spring, a number of us got caught in the rain.

I don't mean rain, I mean downpour for an hour or more...

I cannot speak for others, as I did not observe it, but I just had the charge port covered properly, and a piece of packing tape over the key port, and had no problems...

Some of my added on lights shorted out, but all else went great. We frollicked about like unicorns while the ark started floating...

We glode around, 12+ mph through puddles 3 inches deep, and splashed like kids... No one's machine stopped or seemed to have a problem.

At another event, I witnessed a young glider glide right into a shooting fountain... He did it more than once, but one time it did do an emergency shutdown. He later reported that the cover was open on that pass. He was up and running in less than a minute.

not scientific, just my observations.

Karl Ian Sagal

Each road you travel should be just a bit better for having had you pass.

terryp
07-04-2005, 01:32 AM
On the day of heaviest rain on record in Seattle, I glided home from work in the worst of it - over 6 miles. I wore waterproof pants and jacket, but didn't cover anything on the Seg. I did my best to avoid deep water, but other than that, just trusted the machine, and had no problems.

Segway - What's holding you up?

X-man
07-04-2005, 09:23 AM
Wasn't it Gene Kelly that sang "I'm gliding in the rain"?

Bob.

"Every dog in office is obeyed with such unquestioning meekness, that every dog in office is tempted to become a cur."
William Hepworth Dixon - New America