PDA

View Full Version : Casual observations by a old owner – Day 758

X-man
07-02-2005, 04:32 PM
If I haven't done it, seen it or read about it, will some new experience occur?

Bob.

"Every dog in office is obeyed with such unquestioning meekness, that every dog in office is tempted to become a cur."
William Hepworth Dixon - New America

yosgof
07-02-2005, 06:19 PM
Spoken like a true old timer.

- Yossi
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/3365119-lg.jpg

lwillis
07-03-2005, 01:17 AM
But the cool thing is every day is similar to that first one.

The difference is that we have many experiences "under our belts", and a high level of confidence on how to ride and handle the Segway. But that isn't where we necessarily get our thrills as Segway owners.

Every day when we go for a glide, you can still see those wonderful expressions. You know the ones; somebody catches you out of the corner of their eye and does a double take. I still get looks where I swear people's mouths drop open. I still meet people who have neither seen or heard of a Segway. They want to know all about how it works, how do I maintain balance, how long it took to learn to ride, etc.

And then there is that thrill of offering a "first timer" a demo glide. You go through the orientation spiel that we all have done 100's of times. Buy now we have this condensed down into a 2-minute speech. They step on, still skeptics that this whole dynamic stabilization stuff might actually work. And then they learn how to go forward and back, and start to maneuver around. Then you see that thing we refer to as the "Segway smile" appear on their face.

That's the thrill we get each and every day that is reminiscent of our own very first time. My son refers to it as being like Santa Clause, as we spread smiles and joy wherever we glide.

Les Willis
Looking for a glide