PDA

View Full Version : FAQ: Segway vs Bikes

Meng Wong
07-02-2005, 02:47 AM
I'm sure this topic has been done to death, which is why I'm asking if there's a FAQ that summarizes it.

Thesis: the Segway is a solution to a problem that is already solved -- by the humble, affordable, learnable bicycle -- which sometimes even folds up!

In Japan, China, the Netherlands, and many other societies, bicycles are an accepted alternative to the car. They are an established part of the culture, complete with locking stands, bike lanes, and an entire infrastructure of sales and support. In those kinds of countries, citizens ride bikes the way Americans drive SUVs.

Now, lots of people believe in the New Urbanism. Lots of people are convinced that the days of cheap oil are behind us. Lots of people are consciously downsizing their commute in favour of public transit. People like us. Pass the green Kool-Aid, brother.

But most of those people aren't buying Segways. They're buying bicycles. In the alternative mainstream of the anti-car movement, bicyclists already have critical mass. To the true believers, the Segway folks are the lunatic fringe, to be looked upon with the head-shaking pity usually reserved for Prius buyers. The bike guys look at us, with our telltale dependencies on complex electronics, and say, "they almost get it, don't they? They're so close."

What do we have to say to that? (And have we written it down anywhere?)

---
p133 since 200505

pam
07-02-2005, 09:47 AM
No, there is no FAQ because this is a forum about Segways, not about bicycles. I'm not sure why we would have a FAQ about it. It's like comparing apples to oranges. And yes, you're right, the topic was discussed quite thoroughly around the time the HT first came out. But since then we've had fewer bicycle advocates on the forum trying to tell us how crazy we were :). JohnM hangs out, but he has had a niche interest in the HT legislation (and how it might impact bicycle legislation), and has been a valued, contributing list member.
Pam

Stewbonz
07-02-2005, 11:10 AM
The countries that depend on bicycles are switching to motorcycles as their economies grow.
A $1000 Segway would be serious competition.

JEFF JARVIS
http://www.thailandsegwaytours.com/