PDA

View Full Version : I Took the Tour

pwelty
06-29-2005, 05:31 PM
Ok, so this post could go in the Rental section of the chat but I'm posting here as it is also a general chat about Segway.

On June 23, my sister and I went to Long Beach Segway and we did the 2 hour Segway tour. Of course I rode my own, but she rode a beauty yellow 180. I can't say enough good things about the Long Beach Segway staff they were knowledgable and patient. As we both had ridden before we skipped the Segway training and went right to iPod training. These little iPod's slipped right into the velcro cell phone holder on the bags and the ear pieces were very comfortable.

We started from the Pike in Long Beach, over the bridge to the Queen Mary, around to the Aquarium of the Pacific, down the beach towards that large old hotel (can't remember the name), and back to Segway of Long Beach. Total of 2 hours and tons of fun. The iPod narrator was full of info about Long Beach which really added to the trip. Yes, I could have ridden along without the narration but I don't think it would have near the fun. My sister, who was not familiar with the area got the biggest benefit and ridding the Segway added to the experience.

Now, I must add that this was not a cheap 2 hours. $95.00 for the Segway and the iPod for my sister and $50.00 for just the iPod for me. If you are thinking of a fun couple of hours with out of town guests it can get expensive but the grins are a good trade off.

As a side note, Segway Long Beach seems like a nice store. Wide open doors and flat interior mean you can glide right in which is always a fun thing to do. They also will allow personal Segways to charge there if you get to LB and are low on battery power.

I know that their staff monitor this chat and that they have a website if you have specific questions about the tour or the store. By the way, I do not work for Segway of Long Beach and they did not give me any promotional incentive to write this post. Just in case you were wondering.

beckpm
06-29-2005, 08:52 PM
Interesting. Just one question: Do you think it was safe riding with the ipod on and the earbud in your ear? Not distracting? Some vechicle codes (yes I know the HT is not a "vehicle") don't allow earphones and some people who ride bikes believe it is not safe to listen while riding. I have a little 1gb shuffle which I dearly love, but have never used it while gliding. What do the rest of you think? Maybe I have been missing something?

<div align="right">http://www.segwaychat.com/photos/beckpm/smallsig.GIF</div id="right">

Mr. Protocol
06-29-2005, 08:56 PM
Segway's documentation says don't do it. I have an iPod but I haven't used it while gliding. I don't think I'd be comfy using it those places where I have to glide in the street (due to bomb-cratered sidewalks), but on Ocean Front Walk I'd feel fine about using it. No cars, and anybody who's foot I run over is going to be yelling loud enough I'll hear 'em anyway. :-)

ZoliHonig
06-29-2005, 09:04 PM
I know you shouldnt do it, but man is it awesome- imagine blasting ur favorite song on the car radio, but on a seg, its really fun, just do it when its a quiet commute.

---
[8]-Zoli[8]

KSagal
06-29-2005, 09:56 PM
I am a news junky and listen to news and radio programs all the time...

My hook is that I do not use both ear buds, even when listening to music. I know that the sterio is much better listening, but one ear is enough to hear and it leaves one open for safety...

By the way, I use an ear bud for my cell phone, and have a splitter that I use for my radio or diskman, or whatever...

Karl Ian Sagal

Each road you travel should be just a bit better for having had you pass.

Nightline
06-29-2005, 10:20 PM
I felt the same way before I did the initial tour with Segway of Long Beach. I had no problem still hearing what was going on around me. I wouldnt use a mp3 player or radio and have it at full blast though.

------------------------
I love riding my Red i80
------------------------
Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it. - Maya Angelou

Mr_Laurenzano
06-30-2005, 01:26 AM
So I guess taking on the phone and drinking coffee at the same time is a no no while riding my seg. Opps.

Segway-
Half the speed of a car,
Twice as Smart.

BJ
06-30-2005, 04:00 AM
Whats the differance in riding with earphones, as with riding in a car with the radio on loud??

amturnip
06-30-2005, 07:37 AM
It's just the same as in a car. You want to be able to hear a bicyclist call out softly, "On your left!" before passing you. You want to keep focused on surface hazards, without unnecessary distractions.

Moreover, you want to hear any beeps that might emanate from your EPAMD.

Luckily, whereas the car radio can help keep you calm in bad traffic, or pump you into a frenzy when you want to BE bad traffic, those two factors don't really apply to EPAMDs, which are serene always.

Also, it should be noted that your ears are largely responsible for your sense of balance... listening to loud earphones while sailing an EPAMD is like smoking while eating: you might accidentally swallow the earphones.

tpkanaley
06-30-2005, 10:18 AM
I electrically ambulate (see Washington DC thread) with my MP3 player quite often. I too only use ONE earbud. I have had to delete some songs that rely too heavily on sterio, but otherwise its great and I can hear everything around me just fine.

Tim

segtownmst
06-30-2005, 03:03 PM
I listen to music everyday on my commute to and from work. I ride on the Iron Horse Trail here in the Bay Area - which is a very popular bike and walking trail. I always leave one ear open so that I can hear what is goign on around me. I feel too isolated with both earbuds in. I don't feel like I am loosing too much with just one ear. Plus, this way I can communicate with my co-worker that rides with me. I couldn't imagine gliding with two ears blocked by sound.

~Matt

woodenapple
06-30-2005, 04:02 PM
quote:Originally posted by segtownmst

...this way I can communicate with my co-worker that rides with me...

~Matt
It must be great having someone to glide with on your daily commute. I assume your co-worker is on a seperate segway. :)

Rodney

May all your days be Segway days!

1madman
06-30-2005, 04:39 PM
I, too ride with my iPod and find that the earbuds allow enough of the outside sounds, as to not be an issue--of course that assumes you are not listening at 80 dB!

"You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world...but it requires people to make the dream a reality"

-Walt Disney

pwelty
07-01-2005, 08:13 PM
To clarify our Segway Tour. Indeed we started out with buds in both ears and it worked just fine. Although we did find that the buds and the helmets got easily tangled. (come to think of it, I failed to medntion that we did wear helmets). After the first stop we switch to one bud, so that we could better talk and hear each other. The voice on the tour sounded just fine with one bud (i'm assuming she was not stereo), and the little tunes playing occasionaly were Muzak and could weren't interesting enough to worry about.