PDA

View Full Version : My Danish "i" wont charge

lachrizal
06-28-2005, 05:35 PM
I was out on my Segway, driving in nice, dry weather.
The battery is half charged, but I connected it in order to have full charge tomorrow morning.
However, the green LED did not turn on ..... and I do not think that the Segway is being charged.
Any idea what I can do about it?
Four Winds

Lasse

citivolus
06-28-2005, 05:45 PM
Make sure the plug is seated all the way. I know some of the sockets are a tad deep, so much so that a friend of mine shaved the shoulder off the plug he used in the office so it would seat properly.

--
swiftly flying

W9GFO
06-28-2005, 07:50 PM
Hopefully it is just the plug not fully seated. Make sure to verify that the plug has power to it. If that doesn't work remove both batteries then reinstall them. I've never actually heard of that helping but your case may be different.

There are two LEDs. Are both of them off when plugged in or just one?

Unfortunately not getting a charge light, or a red light, indicates a battery failure in the circuitry. As far as I know there is no way to correct it. I have a pile of batteries that have come to be in my possesion due to this type of failure.

If this is the case the only fix is a new battery pack. Segway guarantees the batteries for 90 days. If you're still within that period be sure to call them up.

Rich H

The Un-Official Segway Battery FAQ
http://www.spinfoot.com/SegwayBatteryFAQ.html

fathertime
06-28-2005, 09:31 PM
Plug your cord into the base while your machine is on, in power assist, and then into the outlet. If the connection is good it will give you the red face then shut down and charge. If you don't get the red face then the connection is not good.

[^]:D:);)[:P][:O]

JR

dgbint
06-29-2005, 07:25 AM
The charger inside the Control Shaft Base could be at fault.
If there are no lights at all, then this may be the fault.
If so, it a service agent fix, not something that an owner can do.

The power supply is rated as universal, 100 - 260 V ( I think ), however if you plug in a live ( turned on at the outlet ) cable, it draws a pretty nice arc and makes a sizzle noice.
I understand that this is worse in countries where the mains is high ( 220 or 240 ) compared to lower mains levels like 110 in the US.

To limit the stress on your charger, I suggest you always plug the power lead in to the HT 'cold' ( off at the outlet ) and then turn on the outlet.

Good luck
Michael

Mr. Protocol
06-29-2005, 03:49 PM
That's right, other countries have on/off switches on their power outlets. The U.S. doesn't. We have no choice but to plug in "live".

Some outlets, typically in kitchens, bathrooms, outdoor outlets, generally anyplace there's water, have Ground Fault Interruptors which act like little circuit breakers right on the outlet. These have a "TEST" button that'll pop the breaker and turn off the outlet. Only problem is, the Segway instructions say (I think) not to plug the Seg into one of these.

florin
07-04-2005, 06:55 AM
quote:Originally posted by Mr. Protocol

That's right, other countries have on/off switches on their power outlets. The U.S. doesn't. We have no choice but to plug in "live".

I have only seen those kind of outlets in the UK, the european kind of outlets doesn't have a switch as far as I know.

Kind regards,

Florin

Visit http://www.florin-webdesign.nl/segwayinfo if you want to stay up-to-date on the situation about the Segway HT in the Netherlands.
http://www.florin-webdesign.nl/segwayinfo/uploads/cavt41287ea7e3ec0

RoadGlide
07-09-2005, 03:07 PM
I just took delivery on my i170 Tuesday and found a similar issue. Got the unit home, excited as heck, plugged it in and - no charging LEDs! After verifying the outlet was hot by plugging in another device I started looking at the port. There is some gasket material on the bottom of the port that did not get trimmed off properly but not enough that it obstructs the plug.

Thinking it might be the connection between plug and receiver I "wiggled" things around a bit and the LEDs came on. Everything seemed okay when I checked the LEDs the next morning for my maiden voyage. Got to work (only two battery bars consumed) and plugged in using another cord. LEDs came on right away and it charged normally for eight hours.

Home that night and plugged in - everything looked normal but next morning no LEDs were blinking when I started my trip. My gauge showed a full charge but by the time I made it to work the last bar was all that was showing. Plugged in at work and charged for 8 hours, no problem.

Changed to another cord at home and all looks good now. Get a positive connection (LEDs on) every time. Comparing female ends of both cords, the shoulders are exactly the same.

Two questions:
- Why would Segway ship cords that are not rock solid?
- Will the trip where I ran the batteries down to one bar impact their longevity? It was still within the 5 cycle break in period.

I'm off to the dealer on Tuesday to see if there's anything else going on.

cmonkey
07-09-2005, 06:18 PM
I had the same problem when I tried the 'home for the holidays' promo. Plugged in the cable, and the next morning.... no charge! With the weather stripping on the seg power port, the port is about 1/8in deeper than the length of a standard power cord end. I put the end of a pencil into the charge port to measure it's depth, notched the pencial with my fingernail, and cut away the corresponding material off the shoulders of all my seg power cords. That solves the problem. Find yourself an old imac power cable, they have a double length end.

I love my magic carpet!

Murray Fisher
07-09-2005, 09:53 PM
When I plugged in my 167 two years ago, the power cord would almost FALL out of the outlet on the SEG! I tried everything and finally could hold my mouth right and get it charging over night......called Segwway LLC and they sent me a new base unit. The one with the AC outlet in it, and also sent a guy from Spokane...160 miles away to install it. I was amazed. Then I had problems still but it was too tight.....since that time I always plug it in and then give it a little wiggle as I press harder and it seats just fine. No problems since. I thought with the new series (just got my 180) they might put the charging indicator up on the handlebars......but same old location.

quote:Originally posted by cmonkey

I had the same problem when I tried the 'home for the holidays' promo. Plugged in the cable, and the next morning.... no charge! With the weather stripping on the seg power port, the port is about 1/8in deeper than the length of a standard power cord end. I put the end of a pencil into the charge port to measure it's depth, notched the pencial with my fingernail, and cut away the corresponding material off the shoulders of all my seg power cords. That solves the problem. Find yourself an old imac power cable, they have a double length end.

I love my magic carpet!

Murray Fisher

X-man
07-10-2005, 12:55 AM
quote:Originally posted by cmonkey

Find yourself an old imac power cable, they have a double length end.

I love my magic carpet!

It's getting harder to find those IMac G3 rainbow power cords. I saw a some up on EBay today and bought two myself. Those cords are great becasue the end that plugs into the charging port is a little translucent (and a little smaller) and you can the blinking lights a little easier. I lost one that I did have and now I have one for both machines.

Bob.

"Every dog in office is obeyed with such unquestioning meekness, that every dog in office is tempted to become a cur."
William Hepworth Dixon - New America

voiceguy
07-10-2005, 02:57 AM
I bought a "Basic Black" computer cord the other day from a Radio Shack in my area wich seems to fit well.

Voiceguy

"All I need is a full battery ... and a star to steer her by"