PDA

View Full Version : Nearest dealer to my location...

Seasaw
06-25-2005, 06:01 PM
Hi,
I am new to this chat room, can anyone supply me with the nearest dealer location to Jensen Beach, Florida. I'm interested in buying a Segway if I can adapt a rack to carry an E-tank of oxygen on the machine. I have severe C.O.P.D. and require oxy most of the time. A Segway will surely give me the mobility I crave...

Thanks a big bunch to whoever can help me...
Seasaw

cmonkey
06-25-2005, 07:57 PM
Plug in your zip code here: http://www.segway.com/cgi-bin/dealers.cgi

You may want to check out the GT model. I think the golf attachment is quick release. The part that attaches to a golf bag may be easily adapted to a tank/cart assembly.

Good Luck

David S

I love my magic carpet!

BillM
06-25-2005, 08:25 PM
call Leon Kline at Riva Yamaha Motorsports - all I have is his direct number (561) 271-3076.

as for a mount for the E cylindar, check with your oxy supplier, there are regulations in hospitals for proper storage and transportation of any pressurized cylindar.

should the cylindar ever fall and damage or break the yoke - it will turn into a missle and old hospital stories will scare the begeeezzzeees out of you. as oxygen is not itself flammable, oxygen supports combustion and is, and should be, treated as a flammable gas.

putting a mount on the segway HT's vertical handlebar support will through it off. I would strongly suggest that once you have mounted the cylindar have a helper spot you - just like your first time getting on and off. it would be like holding a barbell weight straight out in front of you while walking.

another thought is to speak to segway re: the e-model's support bracket that mounts inside the fender well and wraps up above the fender to support the bags that slip into place. I bettcha a clever person would mount the cylindar horizontally with respect to ground and thereby reducing any ill balancing effect.

Riva is located in Ft Lauderdale / Deerfield area at Federal and Sample.

Bill Mullen
JM Lexus
Margate, FL 33073
800 805-3987
billm@jmlexus.com

Dragan
06-28-2005, 12:11 PM
I dunno Bill, we mount small O2 cylinders on the control shaft for the local paramedics...no issues at all. they weight less than a 12.0 handlebar bag, and the system adapts to the weight very well. We just use a modified quick release mount similar to those used with small fire extinguishers.
Wayne

Segway of Alberta - Calgary
www.mysegway.ca

Seasaw
06-28-2005, 02:45 PM
BINGO!!!
Many thanks for your input Wayne, a quick release clamp will certainly do the trick...I need no oxygen when I am at rest and the small "L" tank will last me long enough to get around on foot. I've been on oxygen since 1997 and with daily exersize I am holding my own. Do you mount the tank low near the base of the column?

Thanks again, a Segway will open up the world to me again...

Seasaw

KSagal
06-28-2005, 04:17 PM
I agree, Bill surely means well, but is being extreamly cautious. That is good but needs to be measured to the potential advantages...

Just walking down the street is extreamly dangerous compared to staying home in a padded cell. Using a cell phone exposes you to several forms of radiation that you could avoid by using a flashlight and blinking messages to your friends in morse code...

All of life is risky. The greater the adventure, the greater the risk... To a man with a need to carry Ox with him, a trip around the neighborhood is that adventure... I for one would encourage anyone to know their limits, and push them daily. Don't be reckless, but go for the brass ring on every pass...

Good luck Seesaw. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. I am far away, but willing to offer advice if I can... There are good people in FLA. Keep looking and you will find them...

Karl Ian Sagal

Each road you travel should be just a bit better for having had you pass.

Seasaw
06-29-2005, 06:55 PM
Hi Karl...Many thanks for your input, actually you are not far away at all, you are as close to me as my computer...

Seasaw

KSagal
06-30-2005, 02:13 PM
Seasaw,

I don't know the size of the tanks you are speaking of, but I have observed people with a few different sizes. One is about a foot or 14 inches long and 3 or 4 inches in diameter. Another is about two feet tall and 4 or 5 inches in diameter. This latter one I have seen on a small dolly, being pulled behind.

The larger of what I described, which may or may not be appropriate, would and should have a specific mount, in my opinion...

The smaller may have a much simpler application... Segway currently sells a soft bag that mounts over the fender, and has had for some time a hard sided bag set-up for both fenders, that they called the lower cargo assembly... See my avitar for a view of an E model with the lower cargo and upper bag...

I use these lower bags all the time, and as they are firm (or can be made firm, in the case of newer bags) it may be possible to simply place your tank in a side bag, as you step on. Then you can simply take it with you as you step off.

Again, I don't know the details of your need, but it may be that keeping it simple is preferable to getting too complicated... I find that is usually the case...

Keep in touch, and good luck...

Karl Ian Sagal

Each road you travel should be just a bit better for having had you pass.

Seasaw
07-01-2005, 02:30 PM
Hi Karl...
The smaller size you mention is an "L" tank, which is normally carried in a nylon shoulder bag. which will be sufficient around the complex we reside in, the larger tank is an "E" tank, this is normally toted around in a two wheeled cart. My present plan is to go with the clamp, Since the cannula I use is seven feet long, I can install the tank before I mount the Segway...I do not think mounting an "E" tank horizontally is such a good idea as was suggested in a previous reply, with the valve assembly hanging out in the breeze like that, the chances of striking a projection and breaking off the valve is just too great...

Thank you for your interest...

Seasaw