PDA

View Full Version : Segway safty

billys bikes
06-25-2005, 12:02 AM
I was back before the local city council and someone made the statement that Segways were not safe because some had died on one. I cannot find this story on any web sites could some please help.

pam
06-25-2005, 02:39 PM
Hmmm, and I guess the council member could say stairs are not safe because someone died on one? And how many people have died on bicycles? Or motorcycles? Sorry, but that kind of stupidity gets my goat. I'm not upset with you...

That said, there has been, to my knowledge, one death. A gentleman in a racing car pit crashed his Segway and died of "blunt force trauma to the head" -he was not wearing a helmet. he is sorely missed by his racing team members, one of whom posted on this list not too long after it happened. You might find the thread if you site search with the word "death."
Pam

X-man
06-25-2005, 04:00 PM
From the last entry on the page at

http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9598&whichpage=2&SearchTerms=+pit+area

Hey,

Ran into this thread while searching for info on Ron Huber. I worked historic stock car races with Ron over the last 5 years, and he was one of the greatest, most generous, and most genuine people you could ever hope to know. Thank you all for the respect you have accorded him in this thread.

Ron never rode his Segway any slower than full-speed (such as it is), much like his life. I understand that he glanced upon a curb and it upset the Segway, and with Ron being a big man it couldn't compensate fast enough; he didn't have much choice but to fall.

It is ironic that a man who would regularly dress in fire-retardant Nomex, wear a full-face helmet and Hutchens head-and-neck restraint, and speed on a track in a retired NASCAR stock car at over 165 mph would meet his end in such a bizarre manner.

Regardless, no one in our race group blames the Segway, the raceway paddock, or Ron's driving. We do not blame anything but fate. We will miss him.

Thanks again.

Bob.

Where goeth I, goeth my Segway.