PDA

View Full Version : Changing the batteries on a P

ricebro
06-24-2005, 10:30 AM
I was wondering if anyone has changed the batteries on a P and if so how difficult was it to do? My P is two years old this month and the batteries just aren't preforming as well as they did when they where newer. (Of course the same could be said about most of us as well.) I waited to replace the old batteries hoping Segway would have come out with the new batteries for the P, but it dosen't look like that is going to happen any time soon. I've already ordered new batteries and am looking for a little advice on changing them before I start. Any advice out there?

Greg Rice
West Palm Beach, FL

Ricebro

BJ
06-24-2005, 10:38 AM
Greg,
My 2c worth.
When you fit your new batteries, do NOT overtighten them. Charge for 12 hours before use.
BJ

Dragan
06-24-2005, 10:48 AM
Greg,
the bolts must be tightened to no 1.5NM, no more. There is very little dead space in the power base, and if you really torque them in, you stand a very real chance of dimpling the lower plate of the power base, or actually penetrating it, which is a BAAD thing.

If you don't have a torque wrench capable of low readings like this, tighten them to snug one handed, then add a 1/4 turn. That will be pretty close to 1.5NM.

Also, there is a small O ring on the bolt to keep out water. Make sure it is intact and undamaged. Your new batteries will come with new bolts, and you should use them, not the old ones.
Wayne

Segway of Alberta - Calgary
www.mysegway.ca

Sal
06-24-2005, 10:52 AM
Changing out the batteries on any Segway is pretty easy. For me the toughest part is to get the little allen wrench in there and seated properly into the hex part of the screw, then it's easy peasy. Taking them off is fairly easy.

Putting them back on is a tad tricky in that one may want (but not required) help to hold the battery in place as you screw opposite sites so the battry is seated properly, then you can insert the rest of the screws. As i said, it's not necessarily a 2 person job.

ONce the battery is properly seated in the center prong, you can hold it in place, and screw the rest in place.

With a P series, at least they're lighter than the I. Easier in my opinion.

Let us know how you make out.

-Sal

Think Different
www.apple.com

JaredHT
06-24-2005, 06:54 PM
ricebro,

When you install the new batteries seat the two inner screws first, but do not fully tighten. Seat and tighten the two outside screws and then tighten the inside screws.

This should help to minimize the chance of cross-threading the screws into the power base.

Remember, as many people have already mentioned here...DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN!!!! Due to the nature of the screw and its seal, overtightening will turn the screw into a drill...it could go through your battery and into the platform.

Hope that helps!

Peace,

JaredHT
Jared M. Cavalier
[/:)][/:)][/:)][/:)][/:)]
Segway of Ohio
888.6SEGWAY(673.4929)
[/:)][/:)][/:)][/:)][/:)]

dgbint
06-24-2005, 08:01 PM
If any customer buys new batteries from us, we will gladly install them for him, on our premises.

I guess that your local dealer may do so also.
That should relieve you of any concerns about damaging your HT.

Ask !

Michael
www.segwaysoutherncross.com

ElectraGlide
06-25-2005, 07:11 PM
quote:Originally posted by ricebro

I was wondering if anyone has changed the batteries on a P and if so how difficult was it to do? My P is two years old this month and the batteries just aren't preforming as well as they did when they where newer. Greg Rice
West Palm Beach, FL

Ricebro

Hey Greg......How ya been...I never did see you guys in Boca this past winter or spring.
Although I never "replaced" a set of batteries, I have " removed and re-installed" my batteries, and doing so was very simple. As mentioned above, make sure you use the new screws with good "o" rings, and, install all the screws with light pressure before you begin to tighten them to their required pressure.
Good luck with that, luckily this machine is only a year old and the batteries behave as new ! If you bring your machine down to Boca you may find me and my machine on days off in late afternoons at Mizner Place Starbucks, or up and down Palmetto Park Road, A1A, between Federal , the Beach pavillion, and Boca Resort.

Steve

ricebro
06-27-2005, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the help everybody! I have not changed the batteries yet. I've been busy. Steve, I know I haven't seen you lately, I didn't make it to the Delray Affair this year either. I've got to schedule a little more me time. Once again thanks everybody and I'll let you know how the change out goes!

Greg Rice
West Palm Beach, FL

Ricebro