PDA

View Full Version : i167 and li-ion batteries

MikeyP178
06-23-2005, 03:11 PM
My grandma just bought an i167. I was just curious if the new li-ion batteries would fit on it. Logic tells me they should, but you never know. I am not sure where to look for an answer for this other than here. Thanks!

Mike

KSagal
06-23-2005, 03:38 PM
Sure they will. She will need a software upgrade, and they have not yet started selling the batteries as accessories. Currently, they are only available on the new 180 model. Once they are released, she can get them and the software upgrade...

Karl Ian Sagal

Each road you travel should be just a bit better for having had you pass.

junio1r
06-23-2005, 03:45 PM
Any idea when the new machines will be available on a more plentiful basis. I've checked with several dealers and they don't have any machines to sell. Also, what about the new Lion batteries. When will they be available for us current owners?

terryp
06-23-2005, 04:32 PM
quote:Originally posted by junio1r

Any idea when the new machines will be available on a more plentiful basis. I've checked with several dealers and they don't have any machines to sell. Also, what about the new Lion batteries. When will they be available for us current owners?
The official word is 'sometime this summer', but I've heard from dealers that it might not be until the end of the year.

Segway - What's holding you up?

JIMBO
06-23-2005, 07:59 PM
I've got them all right now. Red, Yellow and Midnight Blue, all with either NiMH or Li-Ion Batteries. Also XT's. And I'll have GT's next week. We must be doing something right!

Jim Headley
Segway Orange County
~ STEP UP ! ~

JaredHT
06-23-2005, 08:31 PM
junio1r,

Every dealer is different. We have several Li-Ion i180's (in ALL three colors), Ni-MH i180's (in ALL three colors), and XT's in stock now.

First come first serve!!

Peace,

JaredHT
Jared M. Cavalier
[/:)][/:)][/:)][/:)][/:)]
Segway of Ohio
888.6SEGWAY(673.4929)

voiceguy
06-23-2005, 09:13 PM
Jim, Jared,

Any prediction on when you guys might have Li-ions (and of course new software upgradability) for good ol' (ok, not SO ol') i167 puppies?

Voiceguy

"All I need is a full battery ... and a star to steer her by"

junio1r
06-24-2005, 08:25 AM
I'm more interested in lion batteries than the new machines. How much longer? Will anyone sell me batteries off an existing machine? If so, will programming updates be available?

wwhopper
06-24-2005, 09:41 AM
SegwayFest participants will be able to get their programing updated, as long as they bring their machines with them to the two remaining fesTs, or at least that is what I have been told!

Will W Hopper
DCSEG Member
Come out to the Mid-Atlantic Regional SEG America Event - SegwayFest - DC Sept 23-25 in Washington DC - The Most Segway Friendly City in America!

terryp
06-24-2005, 10:58 AM
quote:Originally posted by wwhopper

SegwayFest participants will be able to get their programing updated, as long as they bring their machines with them to the two remaining fesTs, or at least that is what I have been told!

They'll also give you a certificate for $100 off the lithiums when they're available.

JohnG
06-24-2005, 11:50 AM
Actually, the $100 coupon was only for Sacramento SegwayFest participants. That coupon isn't being handed out in New Hampshire (but we may do something else for DC). The free software upgrade *is* available at all three SegwayFests this year, though.

My latest information is that because of supply issues, Segway may not be able to offer the lithium-ion batteries as an accessory until the fall now. Sorry, I know how disappointing that can be for those of you waiting on these! I'm pushing to have them available as an accessory as soon supply allows.

John

--
All views expressed here are my own, not necessarily those of my employer or others. Check out http://grohol.com/.

X-man
06-24-2005, 01:52 PM
How many i167's are out there waiting for those batteries?

Bob.

Where goeth I, goeth my Segway.

terryp
06-24-2005, 04:09 PM
quote:Originally posted by jgrohol

Actually, the $100 coupon was only for Sacramento SegwayFest participants. That coupon isn't being handed out in New Hampshire John

Sorry - I shouldn't have assumed that. I guess the LLC felt that they should compensate us a little for not being able to tour the Kamen mansion. ;)

JaredHT
06-24-2005, 06:56 PM
voiceguy,

Looks like John G. already addressed your question. Hmmm...you can always just trade up to a Li-Ion i180...LOL :D

Peace,

JaredHT
Jared M. Cavalier
Segway of Ohio
888.6SEGWAY(673.4929)

Joe Linn
07-06-2005, 04:56 PM
quote:Originally posted by jgrohol

My latest information is that because of supply issues, Segway may not be able to offer the lithium-ion batteries as an accessory until the fall now. Sorry, I know how disappointing that can be for those of you waiting on these! I'm pushing to have them available as an accessory as soon supply allows.

John

Darn. I'm afraid my batteries are going to need replacing soon. I was hoping I could last until the lithium-ion batteries were available. I didn't want to buy a new pair of NiMH batteries because I could really use the extra range of the lithium-ion batteries for some journeys that I couldn't make even when my batteries were new. Now I can barely make my 4.5 mile glide to work. Yesterday, I went into power shutdown 1/2 block from my office. I conditioned the batteries about two weeks ago, but I'll try conditioning them again. I'm afraid I am very close to the point where I will either need to buy new batteries or stop gliding to work.

Joe

KSagal
07-06-2005, 05:56 PM
Joe,

You may want to try and condition the batteries several times in a row. I have heard that is more effective than doing it just once...

Karl Ian Sagal

Each road you travel should be just a bit better for having had you pass.

panderso
07-07-2005, 11:17 AM
Joe,

I am in the same boat. Not sure if I should buy now or wait.

panderso

bystander
07-07-2005, 02:08 PM
I don't know if there is enough "evidence" out there to say this, but when the pair of batteries expire on the HT, isn't one left with a "stronger" one and a "weaker" one?

How about using the Buy & Sell forum to hook up with another HT owner in the same situation? If you can find someone else who has one "strong" and one "weak" battery, the two of you could buy a single pair of new batteries, put the new batteries on one machine, and the pair of "strong" batteries on the other machine. Cost may be split 50/50 or 60/40, 70/30, etc., to be negotiated by the two people.

This way, instead of spending $600 plus (per person), it would only cost $200 - $500 per person if they could work out a deal like this.

The person with the new pair could delay upgrading to Saphions for 12 to 18 months, in case the cost ever comes down. The person with the "strong" pair might get at least 3 months of use - maybe more. Assuming the person stuck with the new pair is OK with 8 miles of range instead of 16-20.

The two people might split the cost 50/50 if they agree that the person with the new pair will upgrade to Saphion as soon as it is possible, then send the "new" (by then slightly used) pair to the other party.

Although this idea may not be practical for many, for those willing to make these arrangements, it could keep them gliding throughout the summer and fall until the Saphions are available for sale to I67 owners.

Mr. Protocol
07-07-2005, 05:41 PM
This is a real possibility. In the normal course of events, it's a bad idea to swap battery packs, because packs should always be kept as a matched pair, precisely so you won't end up with one strong and one weak pack. But if that's what you've got to start with, then lessening the difference between the packs is a good thing.

The question is, then, how likely is it that you will end up with a pair of matched packs of the same age that are significantly different in capacity? I think it not very likely, because it's not the pack as a whole that goes south, it's the individual cells, and that happens on a statistical basis. The statistical population of cells is large. There are - what, 72 cells in a NiMH battery and 90-odd in the Li-ion? The chance that most of the weak cells would be concentrated in a single pack is quite low, I think.

But it's not zero!

So, if you draw the short straw, and end up with an unbalanced pair of packs, then finding someone in a similar situation, and splitting the cost of a new set of packs, is not such a shabby idea.