PDA

View Full Version : Black key

BJ
06-22-2005, 10:05 AM
Should we ride on the black key in crowded areas?
I noticed in the thread about gliding in malls, it was suggested that we should use the black key.
When I give a demo I obviously use the black key, but being used to the red key, which I use all the time, I have to be real careful because I,m not used to the response of the slower turn on the black key, and more than once I've nearly had an oops or two.
I think once we are experienced gliders, it is just as safe to ride on the red key as the black, we can go as slow as we like and being good ambassadors, we are not going to go whizzing around in a crowded mall or sidewalk.
BJ

Sal
06-22-2005, 10:12 AM
BJ, it all depends on the preference of the rider. As you experienced, once a glider is used to and proficient on the red key, the transition to black can be jarring. I use the red key in all conditions. The beauty of the red key (once you're proficient at it) is the fact, as you well know, that you can glide as slowly as you like, yet have the power and agility to evade obstacles quickly if need be.

I think going on black after one is used to the red key is more dangerous, because one is not used to the very slow reaction/turning radius of the machine and this could lead to MORE hazardous riding for those around that individual.

My $0.02

-Sal

Think Different
www.apple.com

pam
06-22-2005, 02:24 PM
FWIW, I agree with Sal here, big time. You can always go slower, whatever color of key you're on. The only thing I could think of would be if for some reason the mal required a certain key - but how they could enforce it, I don't know.
Pam

KSagal
06-22-2005, 11:40 PM
I feel that the red key is also proper... The color key has nothing to do with being responsible and responsive to the environment...

No one dictates what gear my car should be in when on city streets as opposed to the highway...

No one tries to restrict my running shoes to the suburbs, and forces me to use loafers in the city...

The speed that I glide is controlled by me, not the key...

Karl Ian Sagal

Each road you travel should be just a bit better for having had you pass.

Neelix
06-23-2005, 03:05 AM
I, for one, am MORE dangerous on the Black key than the Red. Why? Turn rate. I'm so used to being able to turn at the Red key turn rate that I misjudge how to move around objects while on Black key. I've run into more things on Black key for this reason than on Red key.

-------------------------
Fear not, for even though I come from the Forbidden City, I surely do not agree with the rules.
Chris Knight

cmonkey
06-23-2005, 12:56 PM
quote:Originally posted by Neelix

I, for one, am MORE dangerous on the Black key than the Red. Why? Turn rate. I'm so used to being able to turn at the Red key turn rate that I misjudge how to move around objects while on Black key. I've run into more things on Black key for this reason than on Red key.

Ditto! I'm too used to the Seg's full capabilites to ever go back to anything less. I can maintain excellent control (and courtesy) whenever necessary. I'll show folks how my machine works, but actually riding on the black key to demo is right out! It's like getting on the freeway in a 4 cylinder when you're used to 8! Bad things can happen.

Speaking of demos, I find the black key too much for most people who just want to 'hop on and try it for a second'. for those folks I made myself a 3.5mph key with the turn rate set about 20% below black key rate. Works great! Keeps em from trying to twist the handlebars off of my control shaft.

If someplace every decides to require black key for entry, (like a mall), I'll customize a black key with red key turning capability.
Either that or stick a maxed out i-button in a black key fob. :D

David Sie

I love my magic carpet!

SegwayUtah
06-23-2005, 01:00 PM
If it's a big enough deal for you, come out to one of the SegwayFest events where Segway is making custom keys--and see if you can get a black speed one with red turning rate, or something close.

Chris