PDA

View Full Version : Airline Use

Klovtra
06-19-2005, 11:36 AM
I am handicapped and have owned a Segway for six months. I want to start traveling and have to go to Florida four times a year. I have been reluctant to try to take it on the Aircraft but it would be great to have it with me. I primarily use American and Jet Blue. Should I ship it in the original carton or can I take it on the plane??? Ant advise would be appreciated!!!!

Artie Volk

SegwayUtah
06-19-2005, 12:16 PM
Artie,

As I understand it, the way has been paved for those with disabilities to gate check their Segway HTs (on all domestic airlines, including AA and JetBlue) free of charge as an assistive device. The HT is listed in the flight manuals(?), etc.

Chris

X-man
06-19-2005, 12:59 PM
I have had no peoblems with gate checking my machine.
The TSR people have a quizzical llok as to how to get it through their checkpoints if they haven't seen one before. Wear boat shoes or loafers when going through those things. The shoe removal is a pain.

Bob.

Where goeth I, goeth my Segway.

KSagal
06-19-2005, 03:37 PM
I had mine gate checked when I flew down to Segfest in FLA last October and have very little problems...

I did makde a few phonecalls in advance to be sure there were no problems and there weren't any.

One funny part of it was that was the flight from Boston that had many Segway LLC employees on it... I had asked the stewardess (I know; Flight Attendant...) to confirm that the seg made it to the plane. When the co-pilot came over the intercom and announced, "to the passenger who asked, I just wanted you to know they are loading your scooter now,"...

All the LLC employees winced as if in pain at the word "scooter". You could see in their eyes they wanted to go to the cockpit and say, "Human Transporter, not scooter!"

Well...

Maybe you had to be there, but it was funny...

Karl Ian Sagal

Each road you travel should be just a bit better for having had you pass.

maran747
06-19-2005, 06:50 PM
Take it with you to the gate. I work for an airline, nobody will hassle you as long as you let them know you are using it for a disability. The only problem is, ramp agents might not know where to grab on to, you'll have to lower the handle bar, and just lean it on the wall of the jetbridge - dont use the kick stand, they might break it, not knowing how to kick it back up. Get it gate checked like a wheelchair or a stroller, they'll bring it up to the gate as you get off the plane, this way you can use it at the airport if you don't mind the attention. Help take the shock value out of the public seeing it for the 1st time. You'll be like a celebrity riding through the airport, even the celebrities will be looking at you, so get ready.
Here's a tip, put stickers on the fender, saying do not handle here or something, they'll be careful.
You ship it off in the original box, you'll be paying quite a bit to ship it plus the time to pack it, take it out of the box etc. Unless you are taking care of your Segway trying to keep it in pristine condition, using it at the airport and taking it to the gate is the best and fastest way, unless again, you do not want the attention.

maran747

maran747
06-19-2005, 06:58 PM
One more thing, we ask electric wheelchair or scooter owners their units have dry or wet cell batteries. They'll ask you the same thing. What we look for is any wet cell batteries that can possibly spill battery acid inside the bag compartments.
There was one topic someone put up about the new Segway batteries not allowed on airplanes, I have not heard of this, but I don't know. Anyone out there know about Segway batteries or the new lithium-ion batteries not being allowed?

maran747

fredkap
06-19-2005, 10:47 PM
Maran:

At the present time the Valence lithium ion batteries are being treated as dangerous materials and are not permitted on the airlines. The NiMH are fine. There is no hazard with the Valence type of batteries but they fall in the banned category. See the DRAFT.cc web site for more info about traveling with the Seg as your mobility device. Many disabilities are not apparent when using a Seg. Use a handicapped placard. Bring battery info with you.

Fred

maran747
06-20-2005, 09:46 PM
Fred

Do old batteries fit in the new HT180's? I guess if new owners of the 180's travel by air, they'll have to put old 167-170 batteries temporarily in them, is this correct? That is too bad, do you know what the exact ingredient is that is classifying lithium ion bats as hazardous materials? And what does that ingredient do?

maran747

fredkap
06-20-2005, 10:57 PM
Maran,

Most lithium ion batteries will burn or explode if hit by a hammer or penetrated such as having a nail driven through them. Valence Corp has made a polymer lithium ion battery that will not burn when damaged. Unfortunately, the laws on hazardous substances look at the quantity of lithium rather than the volatility. As we know, LLC goes where the laws haven't yet been made.

The old batteries do fit on the I180's. Many of the mobility impaired have been fine with the range of the old batteries but you may want to get both types.

Fred

Murray Fisher
06-21-2005, 02:25 PM
I will need the NIMH for air trips but like everyone else would use the Lithium normally. So I wonder if anyone is "working" on getting the rules changed so we can take our Segs with the LIthium....OR if there is a technical safety reason that this will NEVER happen? At the moment can we somehow ship by air the Lithium with proper enclosures or something. What does that entail. I will be getting an i180 soon with the Lithiums and we go to Hawaii each year usually Jan/Feb and oftimes other flights.
Murray

Murray Fisher

cmonkey
06-21-2005, 09:16 PM
With the shipping restrictions in place on lithium batteries, I wonder if any of the dealerships have considered renting lions? I plan on going on vacation to FL (with my 170) in a few months, and being able to reant a set of lions for a few days would be great!

I love my magic carpet!

doctorjan
06-22-2005, 07:28 PM
I've been taking my i-series HTs on commercial flights (only domestic so far) for quite some time now. I just mention that I'm handicapped, show my wallet card that came with the rear-mirror placard from the DMV, and head for the gate. (Love the attention and all the questions!)
It's never a problem except occasionally at the security scanners. They'll always take the HT through the exit. Every so often one of the TSA geniuses simply states that they won't allow it through because they claim they can't "check it out to see if it's really a working 'scooter.'" I turn it on and do a couple of pirouettes to show them that it is, in fact, real. (It never placates them, but it's fun to watch their faces!) Then I just tell them to use that little cloth in the little B-B-Q-fork-looking thing to rub on the batteries (yes - tell them they're dry cells), and they can see that way that there are no explosives involved. [Be careful about joking about bombs & Segways!]

Then I take it down to the gate, tell the gate agent that I have something to check before boarding, and get gate check tags for the base unit. When the time comes to board, they ALWAYS call me first to go down the Jetway (a MAJOR BONUS!!!) I go down the Jetway and park it. Next, I disconnect the control shaft (it goes in the overhead compartment), put the kickstand up (no sense in leaving it down for them to break), and (now here's the best part) take, from my backpack, a COLLAPSIBLE FRAME that holds it in place down in the cargo hold, which I've invented. It folds up into a regular-sized backpack and opens to the exact dimensions of the wheelbase to keep it from sliding around in the back of my SUV or wherever I place it when I can't - or don't want to - use the kickstand. (I also get a gate check tag for this as it's a second, separate gate-checked item. It sits on the base's deck (where you stand when gliding), and two baggage handlers (one on each side holding a wheel apiece) carry it down the Jetway stairs with the frame on top. In the cargo hold, they unfold the frame according to the directions I've given them and place the HT base inside it. I walk on the plane and take my seat before anyone else. There are lots of overhead bins to choose from and no crowds in the aisle to deal with. I usually even have time to field Segway questions from the crew while they ply me with drinks and snacks (with their ingratiating behavior continuing throughout the flight).

Another benefit: I don't have to kill myself and rush to get off after landing. Remember "first on, last off" and vice versa? Well, I'M first on the plane and last off, but my HT is LAST on, FIRST off!

I can take my time getting off after the plane's emptied out, the base is waiting for me, I stick the control shaft on, drop the quick connect bolt/clamp, fold the frame and stuff it in the backpack, and zip up the jetway, PAST the stampede of all my fellow passengers, and get to the baggage carousel FIRST! When they all get there, I've been waiting for a few minutes already. In a few instances in smaller airports, I've even retrieved my bags and am on the way to my car before they've even gotten from the gate to the baggage claim area!

The only trouble is moving the HT as well as pulling larger luggage. In those cases, I’ll just stand the suitcase on the HT deck (I never use baggage wider than the deck width) and push the Segway like a cart to the car/taxi stand/rental car area.

There are few potholes in the whole process. When they arise, I just smile, make the best of it, and remind myself that I’m the coolest guy in the airport on one of the greatest inventions ever conceived and realized!

By the way, I’m thinking about developing the folding frame idea. It’s a great idea that would be useful at many times for each and every Segway owner. If there’s anyone who would like to aid in the R&D/patent process (with experience only, please) contact me at doctorjan@hotmail.com.

Better to have glided than never to have arrived at all.

Mr. Protocol
06-22-2005, 09:36 PM
Considering the number of reports in this forum from people whose fenders have been damaged by airline handlers, I think I speak for a lot of people when I say I'd like to hear more about it.

This sounds like a worthwhile product with a (potentially) great cost-benefit ratio.

Murray Fisher
06-23-2005, 11:55 AM
The Airline Travel story is great until you get to the point where you take the control shaft off! I wonder why you do that? All the others I have read about on here just gate check it. Lower the handlebars and walk to your seat.....ditto when getting off at the other end.....I am just mentioning this, as for ME at least it would take some effort that I am not capable of, to take the shaft off, unplug the two cords and carry the CS/handlebars to the overhead storage in the airplane. Ditto in getting off. Maybe I am not understanding something?

Murray Fisher

maran747
06-24-2005, 01:56 AM
I think its easier for baggage handlers to handle the unit with the control shaft left on. Dont understand also, why you need to take it off, no one is going to be able to take off with it without a key, unless you think its less attractive to steal without the control shaft.
When its gate checked, it'll be pretty difficult to steal anything because there are too many baggage handlers around, they have to take it straight up to the jetbridge.
About the fenders breaking, tape signs on the fenders not to handle there.

maran747

Murray Fisher
06-24-2005, 09:16 AM
I have not made an airline trip where I wanted to take the Segway yet, but anticipate doing so this next Jan/Feb to Hawaii. I see problems in attendants lifting the Segway possibly by the fenders, which is not good of course. I have Waynes over the fender carriers which are very strong and have had others lift mine by those many times. However in looking at the new XT models, it appears the little fenders have a lifting system built in...mayabe I am wrong as the pictures are not clear enough.....I plan on just building a simple lift setup where some material such as the aluminum plate or plexi or even possibly 1/4 inch plywood might be bolted to the three spots. A flat plate that would extend a little above the fenders and have maybe a 4 or 5 inch slot for lifting. Seems to me that would be a simple and worthwhile accessory. It could even be left on more or less permanently. I happen to have a lot of surplus different thickness aluminum plates on hand that I think I will experiment with. Anyone with any ideas?

Murray Fisher

X-man
06-24-2005, 01:46 PM
I leave the CS on but also have a nylon strap that I pass under the batteries and loop around the CS base. I then take a short picece of flexible tubing to pass the ends of the strap through and then secure the two ends of the strap. This in turn privdes a handle for baggage people at the bottom so one person can hold on to that while another can grasp the handle bar while carrying it down stairs.
Seems to work.
Now if I could only control how they store it.

Bob.

Where goeth I, goeth my Segway.

poohbear
06-25-2005, 12:48 AM
All the tips here have been right-on...carry battery info, disability placard document (I also have a note from my doctor for good measure). Definitely wear easy slip-off shoes. The biggest hang-up is always the checkpoint. They pretty consistently are unsure what to do with me (at least at LAX, Sacramento is great).

I fly Southwest Airlines fairly frequently (monthly or so) and they are pretty knowledgable about the segway. Many have never actually seen one, but they've told me that segways were mentioned in their training. I don't remove or even lower my CS. I get to the end of the ramp and shut down, lean it against the wall, remove my handlebar bag, then place a large plastic drawstring bag (like the kind you get from the Apple Store) over the handle bars. I have an 8-1/2"x11" note --in a sheet protector-- taped to the top of the bag so they can clearly see it:

"Please do not lift or carry the segway by its handle bars. To avoid damaging the device, please grasp it from the control shaft, and/or the platform (not the fenders).

Thank you."
--tape my business card here--

I've not had any problems. The only sign of handling I've seen is that sometimes the rubber strip that runs down the front of the CS is pretty twisted. That tells me that they did, in fact, read my note and grabbed the CS. It's easy to twist the rubber strip back into place. I'm thinking about actually making a nice padded bag to use for long-term use. The plastic bags get pretty thrashed from my pulling it on and off and stuffing it in my carry-on. Meanwhile, I occassionally drop by an Apple Store when they're not too busy and trade demos for a new large plastic bag or two. =)

One last additional tip: of all the tags they might put on your machine (claim check, inspection tag) MAKE SURE they put the "Claim at gate" tag on there. Once, they forgot and the segway was on its way to baggage claim. One of the flight attendants saw me still waiting and ran and tracked it down and had it brought back to me. You might want to put some kind of band around your CS for them to attach the tags to. You won't want them to attach to the handle bars (their first instinct) if you are going to cover them up.

Fly safe, have fun!!!

-poohbear
http://www.bol.ucla.edu/~khartman/poohseg.gif

Murray Fisher
06-25-2005, 09:13 AM
Hi PoohBear, I can see you have actually traveled with your Seg and done your homework well. I am going to copy your ideas. I can see the problems and will make a placard also like yours and laminate it. Great idea. Last year while on a camping trip in our motorhome, I met a Segger with a VW Vanagon camper who carried his Seg on the rear. His wife had made a pretty much form fitting nylon (or something) cover for just the handlebars part....even had contrasting piping at the seams. I dunno if it was fastened with velcro or a zipper. Wish I had taken a pix now! I am not familiar with the bags you mention from Apple stores. We have none here. I will be receiving a new RED i180 in about ten days they tell me. I am about as excited at the prospect, as when I received the i167 over two years ago. ON any Airline trips from here we start out on a "Dash 8" commuter plane where they load baggage and wheel chairs if necessary from the ground to a baggage compartment. I was concerned about these little girls lifting the Segway up there but they tell me they have mechanical lifts of some sort for the heavier items. Thanks for the ideas.

Murray Fisher

carwizard
04-02-2006, 11:14 AM
Thanks for your airplane procedures. Did you have Lithiam batteries? Were they questioned?thanks

Dale
04-10-2006, 05:16 PM
Most airlines have a policy about Segways on airplanes. If you have conventional batteries they gate check it at the door to the plane and return it to you the same way at your destination.

I ususally turn it on, in follow me mode, for the ramp attendent and show them how to use that feature so the don't have to push it against the motors.

I take the keys wth me in my pocket after I start it. The guy that brings it back just has to tough it.

When I get it back the mat usually has to be resecured and it some times has some scuff marks on the fenders, but they always have come off.

Take it up to the check in counter at the gate and have them put the gate check tag on it.

I early board and wait with the Segway at the plane door for the attendant. I have had a pilot ask me to try it and I said OK if he would let me try to fly the plane.

My first trip was in February of 2004, to Mexico, and I have taken it to Hawaii four times since then, on three different airlines, without problem.

fredkap
04-12-2006, 01:29 AM
Car Wizard asked whether lithium batteries were questioned. It might be possible to get away with it but shipping lithium batteries on an airplane is a felony. It could also ruin things for those of us that use nickel metal batteries. If the airlines feel that some Segway owners are trying to sneak lithiums through the system, they will just simply ban all Segways lithium or not.

-Fred

Tarkus
04-12-2006, 12:06 PM
Car Wizard asked whether lithium batteries were questioned. It might be possible to get away with it but shipping lithium batteries on an airplane is a felony. It could also ruin things for those of us that use nickel metal batteries. If the airlines feel that some Segway owners are trying to sneak lithiums through the system, they will just simply ban all Segways lithium or not.

-Fred

I agree. To much work has been done to get the the Seg on board to blow it now.

QuadSquad
04-12-2006, 12:14 PM
I'm currently sitting at Midway in Chicago waiting for a connecting flight. As I got off of the plane I had a nice discussion with the SWA gate agent when she remarked that Nimh were OK but not lithium to her co-agent.

The information is getting out so if they ask and you fib.........well lets just say it's Sing Sing for you.........so to speak....

justME
04-18-2006, 10:03 PM
Well, I finally ordered my Segway. My company is advocating with my insurance for it to be a covered item. (I will let you know the outcome) My ride won't be in until May 5, I have to think of a Cinco De Mayo name for it. The dealership is lending me one to take on a trip to Las Vegas so I can pal around with my family and not get so tired or worn down.

I am struggling to get a handle on my problem. I either have Post Polio or flare up of Charcot Merie Tooth, or both. Nonetheless, I have no strength and no endurance. My Segway will help me do my job and enjoy life. My family is teasing me about my tatoo and my riding vest. I used to ride motorcyles, Harley. (i don't have a tatoo -yet) They think i need a tatoo that says "Fly or die" and trade my Harley wings on my vest in for a Segway Wing.

Needless to say I am having fun with just the anticipation part of moving on in life, can't wait to see what it is like when I begin to fly.