PDA

View Full Version : The Sidewalk Less Traveled ... A Morning Glide

Brooster
06-18-2005, 07:09 PM
This morning I took my Seg the 4-1/2 to 5 miles to pick up my old 1992 GMC Jimmy at the auto mechanic (again ... I need a new car), and I decided to take a completely different route.

This time I decided I'd sort of weave my way and zig-zag through the residential neighborhoods on the north side of Chicago that I always knew were there, but had never bothered to visit. So often in our "have to get there" lives we stick to the main roads and familiar routes, and never really "explore" the side streets and neighborhoods.

I found amazingly beautiful historic neighborhoods with Victorian-era homes and gardens--and nice people--that I never knew existed. And I've lived where I live how long? One of the things I said I wanted to do when I first got my Seg was fully explore the area I live in ... and to be honest, I really haven't done it as much as I should.

Today I did a little of that, and I'm sure glad I did! The Seg is a wonderful transportation device, but also a great tool for plain ol' exploration. It lets you get into areas and really slow down and "smell the roses." There's often a lot to see if we just take the time to find it.

Happy Summer from your friend in Chicago,

http://www.wingnut.com/theredkey/images/brooster/brooster-orig.JPG

[8][:P]
Broo

pam
06-18-2005, 09:59 PM
Great picture, and great story, Broo. One of the things I noticed when I got my HT was that when I went out I met so many people I never would have met in my car, dashing from one place to the next.

Love the retro (V1?) wheels, BTW. :)
Pam

Brooster
06-18-2005, 10:57 PM
Thanks Pam. Yes, they are the pre-production V1 wheels with the holes ... the real deal, and I absolutely love 'em. I clean 'em after every ride. :)

Brooster

X-man
06-18-2005, 11:35 PM
Hey Broo,
Glad to see you are doing some exploring. I remember one day last summer when I wanted to shoot a couple of Chicago's great bridges, the bascule bridge and the lift bride at the south end of the AmTrak yards. Left my place shortly after sun-up and headed south. I glided the road I always passed on the 12th St. Bridge because i thought is was an access road but it was Lumber St. and came out on canal at a fish-market. Went from there through Chinatown and then back through Printers Row and stopped for breakfast at a coffee house. Great way to spend the time early on a Sunday morning before everyone else wakes up.

Edited because Broo found my typo: :)

Bob.

Where goeth I, goeth my Segway.

fathertime
06-19-2005, 01:05 AM
I don't know what looks better Broo, your wheels, or that store behind you!!!:D[:O][:P]

JR

adobephile
06-22-2005, 07:57 AM
quote:Originally posted by Brooster

This morning I took my Seg the 4-1/2 to 5 miles to pick up my old 1992 GMC Jimmy at the auto mechanic (again ... I need a new car), and I decided to take a completely different route.

This time I decided I'd sort of weave my way and zig-zag through the residential neighborhoods on the north side of Chicago that I always knew were there, but had never bothered to visit. So often in our "have to get there" lives we stick to the main roads and familiar routes, and never really "explore" the side streets and neighborhoods.

I found amazingly beautiful historic neighborhoods with Victorian-era homes and gardens--and nice people--that I never knew existed. And I've lived where I live how long? One of the things I said I wanted to do when I first got my Seg was fully explore the area I live in ... and to be honest, I really haven't done it as much as I should.

Today I did a little of that, and I'm sure glad I did! The Seg is a wonderful transportation device, but also a great tool for plain ol' exploration. It lets you get into areas and really slow down and "smell the roses." There's often a lot to see if we just take the time to find it.

Happy Summer from your friend in Chicago,

http://www.wingnut.com/theredkey/images/brooster/brooster-orig.JPG

[8][:P]
Broo

Nice story. I've had similar insights about the sociological impact of Segway gliding.

I agree, also, with fathertime. Yours looks to be the model neighborhood Segway dealership. Looks like you even used the recommended DIN typeface for "of Chicago" on the awning.

You probably used this photo because you had it (it's a good one), but I was a little confused, because your shop is in La Grange, which is on the southwest side, and you talked about gliding on the North side. . .you must live up there. So where do you live (neighborhood)?

I grew up in St. Charles and moved to Florida in '94.

"The job of art is to chase ugliness away."
Bono, U2.
From a personal appearance
at an Apple Computer music event.
October 26, 2004

Daniel Swanson
http://www.van-garde.com

Brooster
06-23-2005, 12:06 AM
Thanks Daniel. I live along the lakeshore about 5 miles north of Grant Park.

Brooster

X-man
06-23-2005, 10:48 AM
Broo,
If what I hear is correct about the Segways being allowed on Metra is true, park at CYC and go underground to the IC station and take the electric to 55th street. Visit the Osaka Garden on Wooded Island and from there go to Promontory Point. From there glide back toward the loop along the lakefront trail. I did that about four times last year. Great glide but as big as you are, I'd wait untiil you get the new batteries. I almost ran dry at Burnham Harbor and stopped in the sail house for the handicapped sailors for a half hour charge to get home. Ran dry in the lobby of my building.

Bob.

Brooster
06-24-2005, 12:40 AM
Segs allowed on Metra? Hmmm. How did this come about? If that were the case, I could almost park down at the ColYC, Seg to Union Station, get off at Itasca, and Seg the final 1.2 miles to work. It would still take me longer than driving straight to work and back home, but it would be cool to do once in a while. Showing up for work on a Seg would cause quite a stir, but they'd probably let me Seg right to my desk.

I do need to check out Promontory Point one of these days. I've never been there.

Brooster

X-man
06-24-2005, 02:13 AM
Broo, They are allowing bicycles on there now, with certain time restrictions. I was told they are allowing Segways also but Fathertime is checking on this.
If you do this, invest in a couple small bungie cords to tie it down.

Bob.