PDA

View Full Version : Strange jobs and accessories...

KSagal
06-18-2005, 02:39 PM
What are the strangest add ons or jobs you have done with your seg?

I remember an earlier post where someone said they carried full sheets of plywood on their seg.

I mayself have an assortment of weird lights, a trailer hitch, and spinning hubcaps on mine.

The heavest trailer I towed was about 200 pounds of construction gear on a 60 pound flatbed.

I have modified my son's classic red waggon to be towed by the seg with both my 5 and 2 year olds...

Anyone else?

Karl Ian Sagal

Each road you travel should be just a bit better for having had you pass.

Brooster
06-18-2005, 02:51 PM
I guess the "strangest" thing I do with my Seg is something I'll be doing later today ... going to pick up my dry cleaning.

I hang the stuff on the carrying loop of my Jansport backpack, and it trails behind me like a Superman cape, flapping in the breeze. Being tall helps. If the regular stares you get on your Seg aren't enough, try doing this!

Hey, it's something you can't do with a bicycle ...

Brooster

yosgof
06-18-2005, 04:17 PM
Once I actually get my I180 my strangest job is going to be to get my mother-in-law to ride it.

- Yossi
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/3365119-lg.jpg

X-man
06-18-2005, 04:36 PM
Job?
Job?
I don't do no stinkin' job!
I'm retired!

Bob.

Where goeth I, goeth my Segway.

Brooster
06-18-2005, 05:21 PM
Get a job, Bob.

[8]:D

Actually, you have one ... it's enjoying life and your passion for photography. And you're damn good at it!

Brooster

Murray Fisher
06-18-2005, 11:52 PM
I carried 6 2x4's 8 feet long.....3 on each side using Waynes carrier. Didn't even strap them down, just guessed at the balance point......this was in Home Depot where they have nice wide aisles......went right up to the check stand with them and then out to my car. Also the other day carried an 8 foot aluminum ladder on one side...horizontal of course, three blocks to daughters home. A few months ago carried an auto battery a few blocks on the same carrier (strapped tightly with velcro straps this time though.)

Murray Fisher

Brooster
06-19-2005, 12:09 AM
Now THAT's versatility!

A great testimonial for Wayne's carriers, and the machine itself if the LLC's Board of Directors ever decided to run with the ball.

Brooster

X-man
06-19-2005, 01:26 AM
Thank you for your kind words, Brooster.
As far as strange loads, I carried an IMac G5 from store to abode, resting on the right fender.
When I travel (this is my appearance returning from Ireland) I usually have 15 lbs. in the bag, 20 lbs. in the backpack and 30-35 lbs. in the suitcase. The camera gear is in the backpack and the 12.0 bag. Call this riding to work and back.
I rode this way from McCarran Airport to The Orleans in January - about 6 miles. I do get stares in the airports.
http://bythelake.com/segway/traveler.jpg

Bob.

Where goeth I, goeth my Segway.

mici
06-20-2005, 05:40 AM
besides carrying a 30kg piece of laguage or towing my girlfirend over more than a dozen steep hills when she was on her roler blades i think driving a 25kg bag of gravel on one side of the seg and me standing with one foot on the other side to a 4km distant cemetery,...but i must admit it was never so easy

pwelty
06-21-2005, 03:06 PM
This is not really work but I did ride my 180 5 miles to get my haircut. The salon was in a mall. I just rode right in through the auto doors, then around the enclosed mall. Up the elevator, stopped for lemonade at Hot Dog on a Stick, back down the elevator got my hair cut. Then rode home using the wind as the largest hair dryer ever..... great fun, and only smiles from the security at the mall.

adobephile
06-21-2005, 04:31 PM
We bought a Radio Flyer red wagon for my grandson for his first birthday. He's now 2 1/2 and we've been out on many a Seway-powered wagon ride since. The wagon's tires are showing some wear, but my makeshift "hitch" is working well.

I got a piece of foam pipe insulation to keep the wagon's steel handle from chafing the Segway's base. You peel off the protective strips and press the foam's mating surfaces together once it's wrapped around the handle. With a length of 3/16" (or so) nylon braided cord I simply strapped the padded handle to the back of the Segway's base, running the cord through the handle and around the base front to back, alternately on each side of the CS. I have enough cord to wrap it four times on each side. I then cinch together the cord loops between base and handle with a few turns of the remaining length and secure the end with a couple half hitches around the loops.

This makes a nice strong and flexible hinge. The unmodified wagon handle puts the wagon back a bit from the Segway which allows me to see my grandson whenever I check on him.

He's been very well-behaved on our rides, never showing the slightest tendency to bolt out of the wagon. He just sits there holding onto the sides and looks around at the passing scenery. This tells me he really enjoys himself. I always check on him frequently, especially during any street crossings. I also make sure to traverse any large cracks or low curbings slowly so as not to jerk or jar him.

He wears a toddler-sized bicycle helmet, also.

We get lots of smiles and admiring comments from passersby.

The only problem I've had is that he sometimes gets sleepy during our rides (that's how relaxed he is!). I have to watch for his head to start bobbing. Sometimes he'll let me lay him back on his blanket, and he'll go to sleep for the rest of the trip. Or I'll carry him in my right arm if it's not too far to home.

"The job of art is to chase ugliness away."
Bono, U2.
From a personal appearance
at an Apple Computer music event.
October 26, 2004

Daniel Swanson
http://www.van-garde.com

KSagal
06-21-2005, 09:03 PM
Dan,

I might suggest you trade in the open waggon for a kid trailer for a bicycle. The have harnesses inside and he can sleep if he wants to, safely....

Karl Ian Sagal

cmonkey
06-21-2005, 11:42 PM
Aside from the usual stuff... groceries, hardware etc.... so far the silliest thing for me has been to glide to the opposite end of my office to retrieve faxes and other printouts. It's only about 8 cubicles away, but when urge hits, I gotta glide, (squeaking my T-rex horn all the way).

I have been officially labeled the office nutball!

No matter, I still have that Segway smile!

Luckily the GPS doesn't work indoors or they'd start medicating me!

David S

I love my magic carpet!

adobephile
06-22-2005, 12:40 AM
quote:Originally posted by KSagal

Dan,

I might suggest you trade in the open waggon for a kid trailer for a bicycle. The have harnesses inside and he can sleep if he wants to, safely....

Karl Ian Sagal

A worthwhile suggestion, of course, but this kid is 2 1/2 going on 22, and I doubt I'd get much use out of such a device before he's ready to glide on his OWN Segway!

"The job of art is to chase ugliness away."
Bono, U2.
From a personal appearance
at an Apple Computer music event.
October 26, 2004

Daniel Swanson
http://www.van-garde.com

GlideMaster
06-22-2005, 03:21 PM
Brooster has been carrying his cleaning on his Segway since it was first purchased. People around his area think he's Superman because the cleaning looks like a cape flying in the wind.

<center>http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/avatars/glidemaster.gif</center>

macgeek
07-30-2005, 11:27 AM
Well How about as a luggage cart to Hawaii?
http://www.bandster.us/$4500-luggage-cart.jpg

Or As a laundry cart / robot when I am bringing my clothing in to get washed

Jonathan

"Think outside the car"
http://bandster.us/pms.jpg

cmonkey
07-30-2005, 12:29 PM
quote:Originally posted by macgeek

Well How about as a luggage cart to Hawaii?

Or As a laundry cart / robot when I am bringing my clothing in to get washed

Now that's where a really slow key could come in handy!
Just put the seg in balance mode, load it up and let it go. just let the speed limiter kick in and steer when necessry. You could even put it on a leash if you had a key that went slightly faster than your normal walking speed.

I love my magic carpet!

rob2831
07-31-2005, 09:08 AM
I ride around in a gorilla suit every Halloween. The last two anyway.......Robby