PDA

View Full Version : Rubber strip on shaft of p series loose

ksal
06-18-2005, 01:38 AM
The long rubber piece that is connected with the circular band that goes around the lower part of the shaft and connects at the top with two little prongs has come loose. The back side of it seems to be this black tar-like stuff. Can I just take duct tape and tape it back to the shaft? Does it serve any purpose other than just protection of the shaft??

Thanks.

Kathryn A Salmanson

Stewbonz
06-18-2005, 01:54 AM
3mmm, Double-sided foam tape worked on mine.

JEFF JARVIS
http://www.thailandsegwaytours.com/

Sal
06-18-2005, 07:39 AM
Hey there, IndyFirstEngineer on these forums had the same problem with his i167, I can't quite remember what his solution was, but I think LLC gave him a suggestion.

If he's lurking maybe he'll respond. I could be wrong (memory), but I think they sent him a new shaft???? (under warranty)

-Sal

Think Different
www.apple.com

Murray Fisher
06-18-2005, 11:25 AM
Might have been me. I have had my i167 two years now, but in the first six months that plastic strip came loose. I sent an Email to Segway asking if they could tell me how to stick it back on or what kind of double stick tape to use to do it myself. I was really surprised when they said they were sending me a new shaft including the handlebars!!! Thats all it is....a sort of bumper protection I guess and serves no other purpose. On the new one I pried it loose a little on one edge, very carefully, and tucked a fine insulated wire under it leading to a speedometer I had mounted to a bolt under the handlebars......did a nice job of concealing most of that wire instead of the unsightly coiling around the shaft done most of the time. Incidentally I had one of the NO Start situations just one time where I had to remove the shaft and unplug and replug the two plugs on it....have never had any trouble since that time.

quote:Originally posted by salkulkarni

Hey there, IndyFirstEngineer on these forums had the same problem with his i167, I can't quite remember what his solution was, but I think LLC gave him a suggestion.

If he's lurking maybe he'll respond. I could be wrong (memory), but I think they sent him a new shaft???? (under warranty)

-Sal

Think Different
www.apple.com

Murray Fisher

Dragan
06-18-2005, 11:49 AM
We've had this happen to a couple of machines (demos) and there are a couple of fixes. The quick and dirty one is to use cable ties (zip ties) to hold in place temporarily. The Adhesive Segway uses looks to be very similar to the butyl sealing tape they use when you have a new windshield installed in your car. We went to a glass shop and bought some, cleaned the old goop off (NOT an easy job...over two hours of scraping) and remounted it, used cable ties to secure it for 24 hours while the butyl cured, and it hasn't moved since.

I have a customer who also used silicone sealant with good success, so there are a bunch of options that don't involve an ugly end result
Wayne

Segway of Alberta - Calgary
www.mysegway.ca

ksal
06-18-2005, 09:13 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will contact LLC, but since my unit is a couple of years old, I doubt if they will offer to replace the shaft.... The butyl or silicone "cure" seems way too complicated for me to try and my other half is even more mechanically challenged than I am (tried to change the batteries on an electric smoke detector once and that was the last time I asked for his help with anything around the house...), so maybe I'll go to Home Depot and just get some tape.

Kathryn A Salmanson

Brooster
06-18-2005, 09:34 PM
My suspicion here is that the tube on your Control Shaft wasn't perfectly clean when the strip was attached. Even the slightest bit of "oil" from someone's hands can cause adhesives to fail over time, especially in warm weather.

My CS strip pulls away ever-so-slightly from time to time, but I just press it back on and it seems to stay put.

The worst case of this that I've seen was an i167 at a Brookstone store, where the strip had completely pulled away from the CS. It looked like an archer's bow. Nice Seg to have on display at a mall, huh?

Brooster

Stewbonz
06-18-2005, 10:14 PM
Believe me. Take the rubber strip off and use double sided tape.
What could be easier?

JEFF JARVIS
http://www.thailandsegwaytours.com/

lwillis
06-19-2005, 12:07 AM
I had the same problem and the 3M double sided foam tape works PERFECTLY. The width of the tape fits perfectly in the grove in the rubber strip and has not come loose almost a year later.

Les Willis
Looking for a glide