PDA

View Full Version : Conversion of i180 HT to an XT

John Griffiths
06-17-2005, 03:44 AM
I reciently purchased a new i180 HT and love it; however it was the XT that really caught my eye. It was only after a great deal of deliberation that I decided the 180 would best fit my needs. (I glide while accompanying my wife while she trains for her marathons.You see I'm an old fart and cant keep up on foot.)

I would still like to do some easy trail riding and the XT seems like it would be perfect. I asked my dealer if a set of XT wheels and fenders would be compatable so I could switch back and forth as the mood hit me. The answer was "NO". Something to do with software programming to the diameter of the wheels, etc. I under stood already that top speed would slightly increase if tire diameter was increased but that was not my question.
Are the Hubs,shafts,tapers,and threads the same on both machines? And will Segway sell a set of XT wheels and fenders? And for how much?
If any one can tell me if they are interchangeable or explain why it might not be a good idea, I would welcome your imput.

pam
06-17-2005, 07:54 AM
John, you might check the buy and sell forum - we have a member, Zorba9, who does studded tires for off-road use and they would probably be a much better bet. (Just look for a thread he's started, and it's probalby about the studded tires.) Yes, the XT software is specific to the tires, which have very different characteristics than the usual tire, and it would probably be better not to go the route of purchasing the XT tires and fenders (if they'll fit, I don't know the answer to that question).
Pam

Zorba9
06-17-2005, 08:35 AM
Thanks Pam - John, if if you're just up for some "easy" trail riding, then some of Segways extra-traction tires will do you just fine (stay out of the mud). My studded tires have to be interchanged when riding on paved surfaces but work well in wet off-road conditions and on ice in the winter. A Segway dealer in Oakland, Ca. (slide4less) is presently working on rims and fat tires to transform standard HT's into "poor man's" XT's. The tires are a smaller diameter and will fit the existing fenders already in place.I'm sure we'll here from him when they are ready for sale.
Another option is Itsi's dually adapters and double up a pair of ETT's for superior traction.

KOG

Zorba9.....

yosgof
06-17-2005, 03:30 PM
Hmm conversion? That just gave me an idea.

When my I180 finally gets here I’ll just go to a Rabbi and will have it converted to Judaism. This will probably involve a small cutting of one of Blinkey’s appendixes but it’ll be worth it.

- Yossi
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/3365119-lg.jpg

pam
06-17-2005, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the grin, Yossi.
Pam

slide4less
06-18-2005, 10:40 PM
I made a KIT call me at segway of oakland thanks steve steinberg 510 832-2429

slide4less

ZoliHonig
06-18-2005, 10:42 PM