PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Question

soloseg
06-16-2005, 02:00 PM
Our area of the country has been having some pretty strong thunder storms with a lot of cloud to ground lightning.

Should I have the Seg pluged into a surge suppressor or just un- plug the Seg when a storm is present, or does it matter?

W9GFO
06-16-2005, 04:39 PM
I don't unplug when there is a storm and I don't use a surge protector. My area doesn't tend to have the kind of storms as yours though.

Unplugging is an excellent way to ensure that lightning won't harm it. A surge suppressor is probably a good idea.

Rich H

The Un-Official Segway Battery FAQ
http://www.spinfoot.com/SegwayBatteryFAQ.html

Dragan
06-16-2005, 08:35 PM
We have some pretty impressive thunderstorms up this way too (way more than necessary, this last while) and we would rather not take the chance.

All of the machines, off-board chargers, etc. in the store are on a surge protected circuit(s) and the same for the machines at home. I'd hate to take the chance of damage in the event of a direct hit
Wayne

Segway of Alberta - Calgary
www.mysegway.ca

soloseg
06-16-2005, 10:07 PM
We are going to be on vacation for two weeks, so I think to be safe I will just un-plug the machine. I wasn't sure if the Segs had protected circuits or not but hey, why take the chance.

pam
06-16-2005, 10:38 PM
Rather than unplug the machine, I'd put it on a surge protector. The batteries do lose power if they're unplugged. You wouldn't go to zero in two weeks, but if you'd like to come home to a topped battery, I'd put it on a surge protector. That way, if you *don't* have an electrical surge, you don't lose any power.
Pam

KSagal
06-17-2005, 12:03 AM
My understanding of how the surge protectors makes me want to make a comment here.

I believe that if your home or building is struck by lightning, no surge protector on the market will help. Having a lightning rod may.

I believe the electrical power in a lightning bolt will blow right thru any protection of this sort.

Most people do not know that the majority of electrical damage is done by a drop in voltage. If lightning strikes close to your home, somewhere between you home and it's nearest substation, it may cause some outage or strain on the system...

This strain causes the voltage to go down because the substation is out and power is supplied from somewhere else. This lower voltage on causes higher amperage draw, and can do damage. Surge protectors can sometimes help here, but not usually. Those that are built into uninteruptable power supplies usually do.

If you feel yourself unlucky enough to be likely to get struck directly (Like your house is on the top of a mountain) then you should unplug.

If you feel yourself likely to have a hit in the area (Like you live just below a mountain) then a UPS is a good idea, and a surge protector may help.

We should all just move to a lightning free Zone...

Karl Ian Sagal

Each road you travel should be just a bit better for having had you pass.

soloseg
06-17-2005, 12:21 AM
Thanks to all for the good info. Karl,you gave me some things to think about. My house is a two story that sets on a hill. If any home in my area could be struck by lightning, it probably would be mine.

As I type this, another storm is headed our way with high winds of 95mph, hail, and rain.

Soooooo, I think I will un-plug the high tech machine for now, and while on vaction. Better safe than sorry.

lwillis
06-17-2005, 12:40 AM
I agree with Karl on this one. Surge protectors are weak insurance at best. I'm not saying to use or not use one, but depending on h0ow close the lightning strikes, nothing will stop it. I live in a high thunderstorm area and have had my house take a direct hit with no effects, and have had it strike a tree in the front yard and blew out the stereo.

Les Willis
Looking for a glide