PDA

View Full Version : Please consider running for the SEG America board

JohnG
06-16-2005, 10:42 AM
I originally posted this in the SEG America Members Only forum, but realized that this is also a good reason and opportunity to consider upgrading your membership in SEG America if you not currently a voting member (and don't have access to that forum)...

-----------------------------

Folks, I just want to take a moment to encourage anyone who is truly interested in helping Segway HT owners get organized in their local community, and help organize fun events like these regional SegwayFests, to consider running for office in the SEG America elections.

To me, this isn't a popularity contest or thinking about who "deserves" to be president or such, it's about people who are willing to step up to the plate and put their money (or, in this case, time and energy) where their mouth is. SEG America isn't about titles, it's about hard, volunteer work on behalf of a non-profit organization. It's about a largely thankless job where much of the work you will do may be behind-the-scenes and unrecognized by the community at large. It's about devoting hours of your personal time every week to work on SEG America projects, organization, and such.

SEG America is also about taking the foundation and groundwork done by the current Executive Board and building upon it. Organizations like this aren't fully functional on Day 1 -- they take a lot of people's devoted time and efforts to make them click on all gears.

I especially encourage some of the people who hold strong opinions to consider running, because your energy and enthusiasm for making SEG America work will likely pay off in the long run (and you will get your wish!). I discourage anyone from running if they're not willing to put in the time, energy, and work it takes to make SEG America successful, or just looking for attention for themselves or their own pet projects. This isn't about individuals. This is about a team working together to try and organize Segway HT owners and enthusiasts and help them do cool things in their local community and region.

Good luck and I hope to see some new names and faces on the ballot in a few weeks. SEG America election information is at:

http://www.segamerica.org/2005/06/16/elections2005/

I also want to extend my sincere thanks and appreciation for all of the hard work done by each and every one of the current board members. It's been my pleasure working with them, as they are all devoted individuals who enjoy their Segway HTs. They all deserve the community's recognition and appreciation for what they've managed to accomplish. I hope to see many of them on the ballot as well!

John

--
All views expressed here are my own, not necessarily those of my employer or others. Check out http://grohol.com/.

KSagal
06-16-2005, 11:06 AM
What about those who have been removed from this forum because they tried to hold the Seg AM executive board to a higher standard of accountability? Is any effort going to be given to including them in this? I ask because I do believe that many of the people that have been removed had a great deal to offer to the segging community, even if they did not agree with how the exec board dealt with them...

If any democracy or republic is to work, you cannot deny the vote to anyone just because they do not agree with you...

I understand that my simply posting this question will likely be the excuse to remove me again, but I still think the question has merit.

Karl Ian Sagal

Each road you travel should be just a bit better for having had you pass.

KSagal
06-16-2005, 11:09 AM
By the way, since there are only a few hundred SA Members who can vote, and several thousand members of this forum, shouldn't this be in the SA portion of this forum? I thought there was a rule about keeping the topics straght. I was told by the President of Seg America that anyone can read the Seg America Forum, that everyone that can read this can read that. If that is so, then who is it that does not have access?

In my mind, honesty is the primary keystone for any conversation or orgnaization. If we decide that some issues are important enough to warrent changing the rules, that is okay, but we should state that. Full disclosure removes any doubt as to motives...

I guess we all have to make judgement calls on this stuff...

Karl Ian Sagal

yosgof
06-16-2005, 11:24 AM
Remove?

Karl - what do you mean by that?

- Yossi
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/3365119-lg.jpg

JohnG
06-16-2005, 11:25 AM
Karl, what does what you asked about (folks who've been banned from SegwayChat.com for violating its terms of service) have to do with SEG America elections? My understanding of the election procedure is that anyone who is an advanced member of SEG America can vote.

My point in posting this here is that not everyone is a member of SEG America, and only SEG America members can access the SEG America "Members Only" forum (makes sense, doesn't it)?

In my mind, honesty, integrity, hard work, and putting the time into an organization are the primary keystones for an organization's success. Communication should absolutely be a part of the equation as well.

John

--
All views expressed here are my own, not necessarily those of my employer or others. Check out http://grohol.com/.

KSagal
06-16-2005, 12:10 PM
John, we agree on more than we disagree on.

My point is that the election is a matter for members.

My question to you was, Stan specifically said that not only SEG America members can access the SEG America "Members Only" forum. You ask me if it makes sense, but I did not design the forum.

I am not a member of Draft, but I do lurk their site from time to time, to keep myself informed. I do that with many sites that I am interested in, but not officially a member. I believe many people do.

I ask again, was the president of Seg America wrong when he posted that anyone, Seg AM member or not, can access the "Members Only" forum...

I also cannot address, nor do I plan to address, all the members who have been censured from this forum. My only question was about the group of recent members that are now gone, primarily because of their expression of their views on Seg America.

My questions would be answered by statements like, "Yes, we are reaching out to all voting members by direct e-mail, and all voting related activities will be on the SA site, not this one", or possibly, "No, we don't like them any more and even though they ar voting members, we plan to promote this vote on this site, as exclusively as we can, so as to preclude their involvement".

What you responded with is spin. I simply asked a question. I was hoping for an answer.

Karl Ian Sagal

JaredHT
06-16-2005, 12:15 PM
Would anyone be objectionable to me running?

I think everyone is clear as to my enthusiasm for the Segway. I also have a significant interest in the success of the HT, but I would understand if people were not comfortable with a dealer running.

Peace,

JaredHT
Jared M. Cavalier
Segway of Ohio
888.6SEGWAY(673.4929)

JohnG
06-16-2005, 12:23 PM
Karl, I was only answering you with what I know and can answer you with. I'm the Segway contact for SEG America, but since I don't speak for SEG America, I'd have to let someone from the organization speak for itself. My understanding is that SEG America sent out an email detailing this information to its members last night, but again, that's only my understanding.

SEG America has a contact form on their website, so if you have a specific question for them, I might suggest also trying that... If you have some specific issue with the president of the organization, I suggest it might be more appropriate to take that up privately with him.

This is a thread about encouraging folks to run for SEG America office. I hope you respect that and if you'd like to discuss something else, start a new thread.

John

--

KSagal
06-16-2005, 12:30 PM
quote:Originally posted by jgrohol

I originally posted this in the SEG America Members Only forum, but realized that this is also a good reason and opportunity to consider upgrading your membership in SEG America if you not currently a voting member (and don't have access to that forum)...

-----------------------------
John

--

I simply asked a question about what I highlighted in red. If you want me to ask this question somewhere else, please tell me where.

I did quote the president of SA as having a different position to your's that is highlighted in red. I do not have a problem with him. He has made his position on me very clear.

I will not ask this question again. I believe I understand your position as well. I do not want to make this into a personal thing...

Karl Ian Sagal

L.I. Glider
06-16-2005, 12:56 PM
Karl:
A direct email was sent to all SEG America members (basic and advanced). If you did not receive it, please let me know and I'll try to troubleshoot why.

With regards to the SEG America only forum: at one time, there was a link between the SEG America site and SegwayChat, so that a Chat member could register at SEG America and a flag would be set on their SC profile that allowed them access to the members only forum and put the SEG America indicator next to the HT owner indicator. As a SEG America member (former or not), you have that flag set, so you can still access the SA members-only forum. Stan, in his reply to your original query, indicated that you could still post, as there was no mechanism in place to remove users. I don't believe that he said that everyone could post. The only way to remove anyone would be to provide a list of SA members to Pam and ask her to change the flag on the profile of anyone not on the list. This has not been done.

Regards,
Joanne

You must be the change you wish to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi

pam
06-16-2005, 01:00 PM
Or, if that individual person asked to be removed from that list, I would be willing to do so. (And I keep copies of all communications of that sort.) I have not removed any (SegwayChat member who is also a SA member) from the SA members-only forum who has not requested it, and SA has not requested I restrict access to anyone.

Back to the topic at hand... Jared, I have no objection to your running. What I would love to see is people who have the same love and enthusiasm for the HT that I've seen in you (and Stan, and Joanne and Fred and Alex). This, of course, is JMHO, because I don't have anything to do with the elections, per se. Others may wish for a less commercial interest, I dunno. But, I can see a possibility where an elected SC official might be offered an opportunity to start or be a part of a Segway retail operation, and *I* wouldn't want to have to say no, if it were me. LOL
Pam

Stan671
06-16-2005, 04:14 PM
I never said that everyone has access to the SEG America Only forum. I would not have said that because it is not true. It does not make any sense to have a SEG America Only forum that anyone can get into. Only SEG America members (people with the SA avatar on their messages) should be able to get into the SEG America Only forum. Now, if the forum settings are somehow messed up and anyone can read and post in the SEG America Only forum, then this is a mistake that I have no control over.

Election notices were Emailed out to all members the other night and a post was placed on the SEG America web site main page and in the Membership area. A link to the SA web page was placed in Chat. Nothing in any of these notices mentions anything about nominations or voting taking place on (or having anything to do with) Chat. It is all done through EMail and the SA web site.

Stan Dobrowski

mrleisure
06-16-2005, 07:57 PM
quote:Originally posted by jgrohol

They all deserve the community's recognition and appreciation for what they've managed to accomplish. I hope to see many of them on the ballot as well!

I'm curious & interested to hear which of the current board members will be running for a second term. Is it too early to ask?

http://www.wingnut.com/images/redkey-web-logo-100px.gif (http://theredkey.wingnut.com)

Steve@SOH
06-16-2005, 08:07 PM
Is there any way that new Seg America members that don't have the flag set can access the forum?
Thanks!

Steve@SOH
Segway of Hagerstown (MD)

We're livin' in the future.

pam
06-16-2005, 08:25 PM
Steve, I tried to put Mr. Protocol in manually (independent of the old interface between SC and SA) and it didn't work. I'm sorry.
Pam

KSagal
06-16-2005, 10:55 PM
If I misunderstood what was told to me regarding access to the seg-Am forum, I appologize. I thought I was told that access was open, as the link is no longer in place.

Under any conditions, I believe that any voting members that have a contribution to add should be allowed equal access to the process.

I do hope that the most talented individuals out there that are willing to do the job step up and get elected...

Good luck to the contestants...

Karl Ian Sagal

Stan671
06-16-2005, 11:55 PM
quote:Originally posted by KSagal

Under any conditions, I believe that any voting members that have a contribution to add should be allowed equal access to the processI believe that is what we will achieve but using Nominations Committee volunteers, Email and the SA web site to administer the elections.

quote:I do hope that the most talented individuals out there that are willing to do the job step up and get electedSince the current Secretary, Vice President and President are not seeking re-election, there are a least three very important positions to be filled.

We are dropping the Public Relations Coordinator from the list of elected officials and adding Local Group Coordinator so that the local SEGs have a strong position on the Executive Board. We feel LGC is much more important than PRC. PRC will be changed to an appointed position.

I sent out Emails to all 3070 members announcing the elections process. So far, nobody has Emailed [email protected] to volunteer for the Nominations Committee. :-(

Stan Dobrowski

Stan671
06-17-2005, 12:01 AM
quote:Originally posted by Steve@SOH

Is there any way that new Seg America members that don't have the flag set can access the forum?We apologize that this is still a problem for recent joinees to SA. This interface is broken since SEG America put up it's new web site. We are working on a way to interface the two very different membership databases (Chat and SA) on different hosts to re-activate the SA avatar and SA only forum access levels.

Actually, once the new interface is in place, only Advanced members will have access to the special forum. Right now Basic & Advanced members have access.

Stan Dobrowski

Steve@SOH
06-17-2005, 08:21 AM
Stan & Pam,

I appreciate your efforts in trying to resolve the problem.

RE, Jared's bid for a position on the new board. As Segway moves toward a dealer network, it may be advantageous to have a board member that can provide insight/feedback from a dealer's perspective.

Steve@SOH
Segway of Hagerstown (MD)

We're livin' in the future.

Stan671
06-18-2005, 01:58 PM
I think having a dealer on the board is fine. It is a really simple process: Anyone and everyone interested in running for a SEG America Executive Board position has to be nominated, accept the nomination and then the members will decide.

BTW, Steve, your permissions here have been fixed - you have the SEG America avatar and access to the SEG America only forum.

Stan Dobrowski

pam
06-18-2005, 01:59 PM
If there are any new members that need access to the member forum, please contact me or Stan. We can both help. If you contact me, I will, of course, verify the membership with SA.
Pam

Brooster
06-18-2005, 05:17 PM
I'm absolutely in favor of dealers being on the board of SegAmerica. Anyone passionate enough about this product to want to become a dealer is okay in my book!

Brooster

Stewbonz
06-18-2005, 08:12 PM
Fathertime is a dealer, organizer of two successfull Segfests.
Would he consider running for a position I wonder?

JEFF JARVIS
http://www.thailandsegwaytours.com/

pam
06-18-2005, 09:56 PM
And if not Fathertime, maybe Chandra.
Either one would be a gift.
Pam

wwhopper
06-19-2005, 11:04 AM
One of the issues of SegAmerica was that it is a front for Segway LLC! A dealer will surely have their own motives. I know that FatherTime got very upset when one of the Ohio dealers promoted his business on this site.

I think there is a spot in SA for the dealers and everyone who loves the Segway - but like anything else it is very important that they look out for the community as a whole, not just their own interests!

Will W Hopper
DCSEG Member
Come out to the Mid-Atlantic Regional SEG America Event - SegwayFest - DC Sept 23-25 in Washington DC - The Most Segway Friendly City in America!

fathertime
06-19-2005, 11:48 AM
Both Chandra and I enjoy participating in this community. This became even more of a pleasure when we got to meet many of you in person at the first two SegwayFesTs.
We additionally are flattered by the invitation and thank you all for your kind thoughts, but we must decline for two reasons. First we think it important that this organization be run by members from the enthusiasts community and not by a dealer. We feel, like Brooster, that dealer input is essential to the success of the organization but not at it's head. The appearance of impropriety would muddy the waters. On the other hand the dealers that I know are some of the most avid and loyal supporters of the HT so you couldn't ask for more dedicated folks (as Brooster has indicated). I would welcome participation from dealers as long as they act in the interests of the greater community good. Chandra and I just feel that since we have been so involved with the Fests that it might be improper for us to step in here also.
The other reason is that we have Segway of Chicago to run, as well as another new business that Chandra is involved in, and it literally takes all of our time at the moment.
We have just been asked to sponsor a new ENPRO program at the Illinois Institute of Technology and are very pleased with some new technology they have developed which will integrate with the HT and untimately benefit the integration of the Segway into the fabric of public spaces all over the globe.
This week we are bringing the Centaur to Wired Magazine's "NextFest" at Navy Pier on the 24th, 25th, and 26th, thanks to Doug Field and his wonderful team. Chicago is calmoring for a look and we want to oblige.
So as you can see we have not been idle and are excited about this season's possibilities.
Chandra and I will watch what transpires and give our wholehearted support to whatever choice the community decides. Thanks again for thinking of us.

Jim & Chandra Reynolds

[^]:D[/:)]:);)[:P]

JohnG
06-23-2005, 08:58 PM
Folks, I really, really encourage you -- even if you think you have no experience or skills to contribute -- to consider running for the board of SEG America. There is only ONE requirement -- enthusiasm!!

Seriously, little else is needed if you're enthusiastic about your Segway HT and have the time and energy to contribute to the organization. Yes, it's a few hours a week (although some weeks, it may be very little) you're signing up to volunteer. But it also means that in the second year of this organization, you have the ability to help influence its future direction.

Will it truly be a national organization that helps the local SEGs with their needs?

Will it help lobby for Segway HT owners' rights in communities where owners reside?

Will it answer to your needs as a Segway HT owner or enthusiast?

The answer to these kinds of questions reside within you! Please submit your nomination to SEG America today, as nominations close on June 29. For more information about how to apply, please visit the SEG America website:

http://www.segamerica.org/2005/06/16/elections2005/

Thanks,
John

--

L.I. Glider
06-23-2005, 11:18 PM
Just a clarification: The nominating committee is being formed now. They will monitor the nominations received for each office, contact each nominee to see if he/she is interested in running and ensure that everyone who wants to run is on the ballot. If you're interested in participating, you have til June 29 to volunteer by sending an email to [email protected]

Nominations for office will be accepted from June 30 - July 13. Nominations can be made by sending an email to [email protected] indicating the name and email address of the member making the nomination and the name and email address of the person being nominated. (You may nominate yourself if you'd like.)

Regards,
Joanne

You must be the change you wish to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi

JohnG
06-24-2005, 03:30 PM
Yup, sorry, my bad.

--