PDA

View Full Version : Yet another batterry charging question.

X-man
06-15-2005, 06:23 PM
According to Chris Johnson's exellent Battery FAQ's, recharging is best done within an ideal temperature range of 50-70 degrees. 67 degees is the lowest it will be this week outside. I keep my inside temperature at a comfortable 80 (low humidity in the desert).
Does the humidity factor in at all within that "ideal range"?
Conventional wisdom says no but I have to ask or plug in at an ungodly hour and still not have 6 hours for a full charge.

Bob.

Where goeth I, goeth my Segway.

Mr. Protocol
06-15-2005, 06:52 PM
Here's my 2 cents. I don't think charging at 80 degrees will materially affect your battery health, as long as you don't allow the batteries to get much hotter than that, i.e., keep a fan on 'em so they don't get up to 110 in stagnant air.

Humidity has no effect.

KSagal
06-15-2005, 07:26 PM
It's been my experience that most machines react to temperature alone, with the obvious exceptions of the air's ability to carry off heat thru evaporation. If that is not a factor, then the temperature is the temperature.

The fact that hot humid air is more uncomfortable to animals than hot dry air has to do with the fact that animals like humans cool themselves by sweating, and having that sweat evaporate. That process is more effective in dryer areas...

Most machines do not use evaporation for cooling, that I know of. I don't think the batteries do.

I suppose there could be a secondary factor such as fungal growth in humid areas and that could be a factor but I doubt it...

High humidity could promote corrosion, and if this takes place on conductive surfaces, it would increase resistance, and that generates heat, but these are all secondary to your question...

I do think the fan is likely a good idea if you are in danger of a very localized heating envionment that would exceed recommended max temps...

Karl Ian Sagal

Each road you travel should be just a bit better for having had you pass.

W9GFO
06-15-2005, 07:39 PM
quote:Does the humidity factor in at all within that "ideal range"?
Hot dry air is denser than hot humid air. Range will suffer as the HT will require more energy to push through the thick dry air.

You could mount one of those portable misters to your HT effectively humidifying the air in front of you but I think the energy required to accelerate the water particles forward would cancel out any gains from the reduced drag.

Rich H

The Un-Official Segway Battery FAQ
http://www.spinfoot.com/SegwayBatteryFAQ.html

X-man
06-15-2005, 09:15 PM
You confirmed what I thiought.
Thanks to all.

Bob.

Where goeth I, goeth my Segway.