PDA

View Full Version : Should We charge for events and parades?

KSagal
06-14-2005, 04:24 PM
I'd like to know what people think about charging to attend parades and festivals.

For me, if invited to glide in a parade, like a town celebration, or a Memmorial Day parade or some similiar event, I don't feel the need to charge anything... I would volunteer myself and my seg.

For events where money is raised, like carnivals and private events, then it is perfectly reasonable.

What is everyone else's take on this?

Karl Ian Sagal

Each road you travel should be just a bit better for having had you pass.

Sal
06-14-2005, 04:59 PM
I agree wholeheartedly with you Karl. Of course there are events which do raise money for causes, and the segway owner would of course judiciously choose which to participate in. For those events it becomes one of a moral decision whether to charge or not -- or even to attend.

Personally, if it is a cause I believe in, I wouldn't charge, then again, I wouldn't participate in a cause I don't believe in for money's sake.

-Sal

Think Different
www.apple.com

beckpm
06-14-2005, 06:44 PM
There could also be "unintended consequences" of charging. For example, check your insurance - mine does not cover me if I am performing "commercial" activities. In some cases, you might even need to have a business license and record income on your taxes.

<div align="right">http://www.segwaychat.com/photos/beckpm/smallsig.GIF</div id="right">

JIMBO
06-14-2005, 08:38 PM
We are performing in the Anaheim Hills parade on the 4th. We were invited back as our involvement last year was received with a great deal of excitement. We placed an ad in the program. After the parade, we will be offering glides at Peralta Park for a donation, When we charge for demo glides, we get a little more time to spend with each "potential customer". And the proceeds go to the Anaheim Hills Community Council. It's a win-Win-WIN situation. We've done dozens of events where we don't charge. It mostly depends on the crowds.

Jim Headley
Segway Orange County
~ STEP UP ! ~

mici
06-15-2005, 07:02 AM
agree with u ksagal

Dragan
06-15-2005, 09:55 AM
We've done a lot of different events, no charge. I think the boost we get for both our business and the Segway in general in doing these events makes it a "paying" proposition.

The only time we ever utilize a "fee based" system is during trade shows. We set up a donation box next to the demo area. After someone has had a demo, they are asked if they care to make a donation to a local charity (we leave the choice of charity up to the trade show organizer). If they do, great, if not that's fine too.

We invite a rep from the charity in question to attend during the last hour of the show, and hand over all of the donations we collect.

Good P.R., good press, no legal issues....it's a Win-Win situation
Wayne

Segway of Alberta - Calgary
www.mysegway.ca

pam
06-15-2005, 11:57 AM
For me, it would depend on who was raising the money and for what. If it were for a charity (and I knew the money was going to the charity, not 85% to "production costs"), I wouldn't charge. However, as Dragan says, trade shows, commercial events, I'd certainly want to charge. Civic events where no money is passing hands, I'd not charge, either.

I don't charge for demos, either. Although I've known of people who have charged for individual demos, usually for a charity, with the money going to the charity.
Pam

yosgof
06-15-2005, 12:18 PM
Karl,

Since I didn't get MY I180 yet, I can only judge by analogy and mine is photography.

From time to time I am invited to shoot at events. Since I shoot digital there are no direct expenses other then my personal time (very much like gliding a Segway).

So my decision whether to charge or not is completely based on circumstances. Key factors for decision are:
- Is the event during business hours or in lieu of other income?
- Is it a charity, fund raiser, community work, social event etc.
- How personally close I am to the organizer (my wife is in the PTA)
- Is the other party going to benefit from my work?

- Yossi
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/3365119-lg.jpg

Mr. Protocol
06-15-2005, 03:30 PM
Yosgof - very sound criteria. In this country (U.S.) the only thing I could think of to add would be any tax implications.

ElectraGlide
06-15-2005, 06:44 PM
If I were asked to ride and display the Segway in a commercial venture then ofcourse I would want to be compensated for my time. Getting paid would help underwrite the cost of ownership !
If I were asked to join a local civic parade or patriotic holiday event then I would be glad to join free of charge .... community events benefit us all, and afterall, we are all neighbors.

Giving quick demo rides for 5.00 could help raise some cash for charity in very little time...lets see...$5.00 for 5 mins.....thats $60.00 per hour for charity...better keep those batteries charged !!

Steve