PDA

View Full Version : Collar not working...

Sal
06-13-2005, 08:48 PM
Hmmm,

Had my 170 for over a year now, and the collar nut is as tight as can be, but the upper part of the control shaft is still able to telescope up and down, when pulling the segway and pushing it.

Anyone have this problem??

Furthermore, any solutions???

Basically, the tightness of the collar nut isn't working anymore.

-Sal

Think Different
www.apple.com

Steve@SOH
06-13-2005, 09:59 PM
Sal,
We are having a similar problem with an i170.

We purchased several used units and some of the height adjustment collars are either worn from use or have broken components. (We use the units as demo machines and constantly change the handle bar heights. I suspect this expedited the collar failure.)

If you remove the outer collar ring there is a segmented interior collar riveted to the control shaft. We compared the old inner collar with that from a new machine and found significant material removal. (If you compare an old and new machine, you will see a gap of about 1/8" between the two collar sections on the new machine. As the collars wear, this gap disappears.)

I seached Segway Chat for info on the problem and found it has come up in the past. While there is information on slowing down the wear process (Through the use of dishwashing liquid on the inner wear surfaces.), I found little on solutions for collars that have extreme wear short of replacing the whole lower control shaft.

We are an authorized service facility for Segway and have made an inquiry to LLC about replacement collar assemblies. I will post info on their reply as soon as I receive it.

Steve@SOH
Segway of Hagerstown (MD)

We're livin' in the future.

terryp
06-13-2005, 10:00 PM
Have you unscrewed it all the way to see if the fingers are broken off? I've been afraid of overtightening mine since seeing someone's post about that happening to theirs. Even my new HT slips when power-assisting up a curb - even with the collar torqued down pretty tight. I mounted a clamp with a waterbottle cage attached just above the collar so it can't slip down below my favorite spot. I hope yours isn't broken.

Segway - What's holding you up?

adobephile
06-13-2005, 11:27 PM
quote:Originally posted by salkulkarni

Hmmm,

Had my 170 for over a year now, and the collar nut is as tight as can be, but the upper part of the control shaft is still able to telescope up and down, when pulling the segway and pushing it.

Anyone have this problem??

Furthermore, any solutions???

Basically, the tightness of the collar nut isn't working anymore.

-Sal

Think Different
www.apple.com

My i167 was doing that. I called customer service at LLC and was told that it would require a control shaft replacement. Mine was under warrantee, so it didn't cost me anything.

What they sent was the tubular shaft without the handlebar. Your dealer can get the part and install it. It's pretty simple to do and doesn't take long.

"The job of art is to chase ugliness away."
Bono, U2.
From a personal appearance
at an Apple Computer music event.
October 26, 2004

Daniel Swanson
http://www.van-garde.com

Sal
06-14-2005, 12:25 AM
Thanks for all the responses, I have unscrewed it all the way to find that none of the "fingers" are broken, but the rubber like material is worn. I will call LLC tomorrow to see what can be done officially. I have a temporary solution: I have wrapped a 5" length of packing tape, only one ply once around the shaft to the height I want it, now I slid the shaft down, and tighten, it's perfect!

(NOT sticky side out), the regular friction between the "fingers" and the smooth side of the tape now keeps the top part of the shaft from moving.

Hopefully LLC will have a more elegant solution.

-Sal

Think Different
www.apple.com

Mr. Protocol
06-14-2005, 04:36 AM
Actually that IS an elegant solution, because when the tape wears out you can just replace the tape instead of the control shaft (again). I'd go with that in a New York minute.

Steve@SOH
06-14-2005, 07:33 PM
Sal,
A Segway tour operator gave us a tip that fixed the sliding control shaft collar problem on our i170.
Sand a small amount off of the bottom of exterior collar which allows that collar to snug down farther. We tried it and it work.
(The collar on our machine had worn to the point there was no longer a gap between the two collar sections. If your machine still has a gap, this solution will probably not work.)

Good Luck!

Steve@SOH
Segway of Hagerstown (MD)

We're livin' in the future.

Sal
06-14-2005, 07:48 PM
Thanks everyone, but I have no gap, and the tape trick works like a charm!

Thanks for the kind words Mr. Protocol.

-Sal

Think Different
www.apple.com

Hauptagon
06-14-2005, 10:36 PM
I have this problem too, but LLC said the only solution was to replace the whole CS! Judy also noted that the engineers recommend NOT cleaning away that white powder you see when the collar is removed (which I already had).

Thanks for the tape idea! And when it gets to that point, the sanding idea will come in real handy!

-Justin

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." -From Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory