PDA

View Full Version : Metrolink Trains in SoCal, experiences?

cmonkey
06-12-2005, 11:39 PM
Has anyone had ridden the Metrolink with their Seg?

I live about a mile from the local metrolink station, and my customer is about a mile from Union Station.

This is the perfect use for a seg, but I'd hate to get up to Los Angeles, then not be allowed back on the train.

Thanks
DS

I love my magic carpet!

Nightline
06-12-2005, 11:50 PM
I heard yesterday that Metrolink officially banned them after that last de-railment. But also heard that they don't enforce it. Unless someone else has any other info, I would suggest a call to them to verify.

------------------------
I love riding my Red i80
------------------------
Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it. - Maya Angelou

1madman
06-13-2005, 05:33 PM
When I first took my Seg on the Mertolink, the Conductor came by and said that it wasn't allowed. I told him that a previous rider had contacted Metrolink downtown, and he had benn assured it was OK.

The Conductor contacted the office on his cellphone, and came back to me and said that as of then, there were no restrictions, so I could continue to bring my machine on the train.

Since then, I have never had a comment or issue--I rode last Thursday, June 9 from Santa Clarita to Burbank.

The only issue is when there is a bicycle on the train as well. You cannot use the velcro up against the wall, you need to use the holder that is on the barrier between the horizontal seat and the bicycle area--I brought a bungee cord and did an extra tight wrap, which worked fine. Generally, I try to find a car with no bicycles.

Be aware that an i-Series machine just barely clears the center pole in the doorway--most likely a 1/2" of clearance--but if you hit it straight on, and use your power assist, no problem. Of course, a p-series machine would be a piece of cake.

-M

"You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world...but it requires people to make the dream a reality"

-Walt Disney

cmonkey
06-16-2005, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the info. I actually left a message on the main number from their website, and I just got a message back.

Christina in passenger services called and left me a message. (i'm lucky it went to voice mail, now I can play it to any conductor not in the know).

"...The policy states that Segways can be taken aboard, but they must be secured with the bikes straps on the lower level of the train, and also they are not to be ridden on the platform. If I have any additional questions, I can call customer service at 800-371-5465."

I'm one happy camper. Now I'll see if I can get it in writing, or get them to update their website FAQ.

David S

I love my magic carpet!

voiceguy
06-18-2005, 06:45 AM
Has anyone tried the inter-city Metro Trains within the LA area (a separate system to Metrolink)?

I tried it last Sunday in a trip from Universal City (the Valley) to Hollywood and Highland (LA City proper) and one security guard told the other guard standing nearby that it (pointing to my Seg) was OK here (My Seg was visably happy to be included in this strange new place). I had of course not ridden it anywhere in the station as that is stated in the rules regarding bikes and similar vehicles.

On the train, I sat in one of those sideways facing seats (facing the isle) holding the Seg (turned off of course) so that the wheels were perpendicular to the isleway.

Has anyone heard anything offical regarding the LA Metro trains?

Voiceguy

"All I need is a full battery ... and a star to steer her by"

fredkap
06-18-2005, 12:45 PM
David uses that train for his daily commute downtown from Encino using the Universal City park and ride. He said that he hasn't had problems.

Fred

X-man
04-16-2006, 11:34 PM
I took mine from Long Beach to Hollywood and Vine and back today (Blue & Red lines)

polo_pro
04-16-2006, 11:51 PM
I was thinking of doing a long distance glide to Segfest, but maybe I'll just do a long glide to the Metrolink station instead! Is there a Metrolink station near the Segfest in Long Beach? What about Huntington Beach?

bystander
04-17-2006, 12:41 AM
Here's a link to a map for the MTA (not Metrolink):

http://www.mta.net/images/rail_map.pdf

On this map, Segfest will be just southwest of the end of the blue line.

And here's a map of Metrolink with MTA (MTA shown in thin lines).

http://www.transit-rider.com/ca.losangeles/metrolink.cfm?id=map

On this map, Segfest will be just south of where the "g" is on the "Orange County Line" label.

The easiest access to Metrolink from the coastal route seems to be Oxnard on the Ventura county line. The next closest access to the coast seems to be the MTA Green line at the LAX end.

I don't seem to see a Metorlink stop near Huntington Beach, it's probably over 15 miles the Anaheim or Santa Ana stops. Maybe someone from Segway of Orange County could be of more help with a good route plan.

RC Mike
04-17-2006, 04:06 AM
Plomoh, the closest Metrolink station to the fest is union station (at the end of the double red lines in bystander's first link. The closest MTA station is transit mall (at the bottom of the blue line in the same link).

from transit mall, below is the map to the fest and seglb.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v464/somoney26/transit.jpg

The Blue circle is Segway Long Beach, the green square is the Coast hotel, and the red star is the transit mall. Good news for public transit, cars are comfortable, safe, and clean. Bad news, takes about 1 hour from downtown LA, and make very sure you have a ticket, because the safety comes with a price. Sherrifs deputies ride the rails (ostensibly to provide security, but they write a LOT of tickets for unticketed riders).

Otherwise, a pretty good way to move around, although the views sometimes suck (there is about a mile when you go through a recycling yard). FYI you will never see me drive to a Laker game. MTA works so much better.

Mike

inewman
04-17-2006, 12:20 PM
Along this line, what are the regulations concerning the riding the buses in Los Angeles with a Segway?
Thanks.

Ira