SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

View Poll Results: What do you think? or why are you here.
Waste of time segway is perfect.... 9 5.03%
I like alternatives. 53 29.61%
Need more grip. 20 11.17%
Alternate terrain nessesity (snow, mud, wet...) 41 22.91%
Looking for tougher tyres (less poss. of puntures) 43 24.02%
Just interested. 64 35.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-15-2011, 08:31 AM   #211
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteInLongBeach View Post
How many are there? The standard factory-fitted tires on both the gen1 and gen2 on-road machines have the specification described as "non-marking". I wouldn't include the off-road / X-type tires in this, as those machines are not designed or meant for indoor use.
As far as I know, there was a silicone based tire developed for the Gen 1, and a different one developed for the i2. As far as I know, these two different tires are the only silicone (non marking) tires for segway.

I suspect that while they were the largest single group of tires sold for segway use, they are not the only tires, and I was simply saying that after market is not the appropriate label for segway tires that mark.

In addition to these tires, I am aware of an extra traction tire for the gen 1, (the Michelins I currently use on my I2), the Extra Traction tire for the Gen 2 (a design that looks identical to the standard I2 tire but with a different rubber compound), the X series tire for Gen 1, the X series tire for Gen 2, the Golf tire for gen 1 and the Golf tire for gen 2. All of these different tires were or have been offered by Segway Corporate, so none are actually after market. I personally have never seen the Extra traction tire for Gen 2, but I have seen all the other types.

I will agree that most of the non silicone based tires are specifically designed for off road, (or at least outdoors) and therefore not intended for hotel lobbies, so the point is very reasonable that their marking in that location would not be something that the factory would think reasonable, as they are marketed to be somewhere else.

My comment was intended to respond to the title of 'after market tires' not so much to respond to using these non-silicone tires in hotels. Of course, broom swept concrete surfaces was also mentioned, and I don't think of that as an indoor surface, yet is very much, if not more so, affected by these tires and their marks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:19 PM   #212
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

True, I hadn't considered ETTs (no longer in production) nor XT tires. I guess what I should have said was "non-factory-standard i2 tires."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:25 AM   #213
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seginaway View Post
I'm gathering from your post that I should look for 21x7x10, though the response from "Ed65" suggests that a 23" tire will fit. Not to get into all of the SPEED questions on SegwayChat but shouldn't a 23" vs. the OEM 21" increase top-end speed at the expense of low-end torque? (Your previous posts suggest an expertise in evaluating numbers, so I felt the freedom to ask, forgive me if that is not the case).

Does the 21x7x10 fit the OEM rim with or without a tube? Frankly, I don't even know if my current Segway OEM has a tube. Does it? I appreciate your response. Thanks.
I just got my bonus at work, and I couldn't resist the temptation... I went out and bought a pair of 23" tires for the "x2" conversion:

http://www.mudthrowers.com/inc/sdetail/331

Got them mounted and installed today (damn that red locktight on the hub adaptor screws). Looks like I'm now getting over 15 mph top-speed, and I'm about 2" higher than on the original i2 tires (gotta watch those tree branches). My parking stand is almost too short now - I don't think some of the "lean-forward" type stands would work well with the height of this diameter tire. The sidewall knobs on this particular model's tread design just barely clear the fenders - there is still plenty of clearance on top, but they come very close at the front of the fenders. Overall, very happy with these !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0216112011.jpg (89.5 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg 0216112012.jpg (83.0 KB, 83 views)

Last edited by PeteInLongBeach; 02-17-2011 at 05:45 AM..
PeteInLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:30 PM   #214
KSagal
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

Quote:
...I'm about 2" higher than on the original i2 tires ...

I am guessing you meant 2" higher than the X2 tires.

That is a sweet looking rig. It looks pretty aggressive.

I think that set up puts the idea of some segway tires leaving marks to bed. It gives the impression that if it leaves the carpet or the tiles still on the floor, the shop owner should thank you.

Good luck with it. Looks like fun.

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:17 PM   #215
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I am guessing you meant 2" higher than the X2 tires.
No, I really did mean the platform is now about 2" higher than the original i2 tires (remember this machine was originally an i2).

i2 standard tires: 19" diameter
x2 standard tires: 21" diameter
x2 bear claw tires: 23" diameter

The new x2 tires are 4" larger in diameter than the original i2 tires, so 2" larger in radius from the axle.
Ground clearance now measures at about 5.5".

Last edited by PeteInLongBeach; 02-17-2011 at 11:44 PM..
Old 02-17-2011, 11:40 PM   #216
KSagal

Quote:
No, I really did mean the platform is now about 2" higher than the original i2 tires (remember this machine is originally an i2).

i2 standard tires: 19" diameter
x2 standard tires: 21" diameter
x2 bear claw tires: 23" diameter

The new x2 tires are 4" larger in diameter than the original i2 tires, so 2" larger in radius from the axle. Ground clearance now measures at about the expected 5.5".
Thanks for the clarification. How is the performance with the tires. This for lack of some other objective measure, I would say is two steps larger. (each increase of tire size being a step)

I am sure there are some longer stopping times, and perhaps longer to max speed, although perhaps the same or similar time to get to 12.5 mph.

Anymore to share?

Old 02-18-2011, 12:26 AM   #217
PeteInLongBeach

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
Thanks for the clarification. How is the performance with the tires. This for lack of some other objective measure, I would say is two steps larger. (each increase of tire size being a step)

I am sure there are some longer stopping times, and perhaps longer to max speed, although perhaps the same or similar time to get to 12.5 mph.

Anymore to share?
Performance feels similar to the factory x2 tires - a bit less responsive than the i2 tires, but quite adequate and far more comfortable. Also, something I've noticed on the x2 before, is the ability to stand in place with less oscillating.

The bear claw tires have a more aggressive tread, and for now I have the tires a bit overinflated for street use at 10 psi (instead of the recommended 4 psi for offroad use), so the tread knobs can be felt more underfoot at low speeds. The tread also makes more noise, which transmits somewhat through the hub adaptors and sounds kind of cool.

Other than the enhanced ride comfort, the other enhancement I like is the extra top speed - a bit over 15 mph. I'm also wondering if the larger circumference will translate into longer range, but I'll need to do some extended glides with my GPS, since the infokey will only calculate speed/distance related to 19" wheel rotations, and the 23" tires have a longer "stride" per rotation.

Last edited by PeteInLongBeach; 02-18-2011 at 12:41 AM..
Old 02-18-2011, 09:46 AM   #218
AggiePhil
AggiePhil is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Don't you generally get reduced range due to the increased weight of the tires putting more stress on the motors and batteries?
AggiePhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:08 AM   #219
PeteInLongBeach

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggiePhil View Post
Don't you generally get reduced range due to the increased weight of the tires putting more stress on the motors and batteries?
The decreased x2 range is more from the increased rolling resistance due to the softer tire and larger footprint. The weight plays a lesser role in this. But, I'm wondering if the larger circumference of the 23" tires might offset this a bit.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:14 PM   #220
KSagal

Quote:
... I'm also wondering if the larger circumference will translate into longer range, but I'll need to do some extended glides with my GPS, since the infokey will only calculate speed/distance related to 19" wheel rotations, and the 23" tires have a longer "stride" per rotation.
Actually, GPS generally give pretty rounded off numbers, as it samples a fixed number of times per minute, and the longer the route, the more it compresses those samples the less accurate in the detail they get.

I have taken many long trips via car, the the longer the trip, the more the odometer and the trip meter on the GPS vary.

I would say the more accurate measure would be simple math. The odometer on the segway is similar to that of a car, in that it simply counts revolutions of the tires and translates that to distance.

If a single rotation of an i2 is 19 inches times 3.14, then you can figure a distance factor as your new tires as simply 23 inches times pi for the same rotation. The segway in this example will consider one revolution as 59.66 inches, but your tires will give it 72.22 instead. That is a factor of 21% farther. If these numbers were accurate, you could simply know that each mile recorded on the info key was actually 1.21 miles traveled. The accurate measured distance traveled for your tires may be a bit different than this, but the math will stay the same once you insert the proper and accurate distance traveled in one revolution.

Either way, you should be able to get a fairly accurate average of longer or shorter range, but I believe the info key will be a bit more accurate.

No mater how you slice it, those are good looking tires, and I wish you luck with them.