SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > New Member Introductions

Notices

New Member Introductions Welcome to our community! Come in and introduce yourself to other members!

Old 07-06-2010, 04:40 PM   #1
aduboyce49
aduboyce49 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Smile Segway Wheelchairs

Hi, I am new to this Forum, and wanted to start out by saying Hi, and telling You a little bit about myself. I am a T-3 Paraplegic from a Car Wreck in 1984. That is when I lost the use of My legs. I am now 49 years old, and have used a chair for 26 years. All types of Ultra-Light Wheelchairs. I have been duing some web searching when I came across some different videos on You Tube, and they were Segway Wheelchairs, or sitdown Segways. One of the people that was riding one was a Paraplegic. I have spent a good part of the day, trying to find out more info, on how I could buy, or have one of these Segway Wheelchairs built? Like I said I have used a chair now for 26 years, and have never seen anything quite so Cool as a Segway Wheelchair. I test drove an Ibot Chair a few years back, but at $30K it was way out of My price range, and I guess everyone else thought so too, since they are now out of business. I know a regular standup Segway goes for about $6K, so I wouldn't think the Wheelchair Segway would be all that much more, certainly not $30K. I have heard a few people talking like they already have these Segway Wheelchairs, and like I said I saw a Papaplegic in a Video on You Tube, riding one with his daughter with Him, and I also saw the one with Josef Mora from Spain. I have not been able to get any information about how I could buy one of these Segway Wheelchais, or have one built for me, whatever way, it doesn't matter, I just would like to have one. After 26 years of using a chair the Segway Wheelchair looks like it would improve my mobility, and my life in general 100%. I have always liked my Ulta-Light chairs, and still do, but I am almost 50 years old, and it would be nice to have a different option of mobility, not that I would give up my Ultra-Light Wheelchair, it would be just a second mode of mobility for Me and I am a very active Paraplegic,I still Drive, and Transfer all the time, so I don't think that would be an issue. So if anyone could PLEASE hook Me up with some information on how I can buy, and or have a Segway Wheelchair built for Myself, and around what the cost it would be, and how soon, I could have this done? I am glad I joined this Forum, and I think , and Hope I will get alot of information from this. Thank You Very Much, and I Hope To Hear Back From Someone Soon. aduboyce49/Alan......................
aduboyce49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:03 PM   #2
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

One of the first things you should do is check out DRAFT.org. The people at DRAFT are very knowledgeable of people with physical challenges using segways.

Welcome to this forum. I don't use a seat on my segways myself, but many here do, so I look forward to their responses as you do.

Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:02 PM   #3
aduboyce49

5 yr Member
Default Sit down Segway

Hi Karl, I just wanted to Thank You for the quick info, an contact, I will post and let You know how things progress, I am so looking forward in getting myself one as soon as possible. I have been a wheeler for 26 years, and the videos I saw of Paraplegics using these sitdown wheelchair type Segways was so cool, and it will open up alot more freedoms for me. I live in New Hampshire, and alot of hills and rough terrain, and snow and ice, so I am hoping to be able to get something setup by winter. I will keep You posted, and Thanks again. aduboyce49/Alan
Old 07-06-2010, 11:35 PM   #4
team222badbrad
team222badbrad is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I really don't know anything about Segway seats, but your post recalled this video into my memory.

Not sure if this guys makes them or what.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
team222badbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:04 AM   #5
MowTin
MowTin is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Wow, that robot arm is pretty cool. Must cost more than the Segway.
MowTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:29 AM   #6
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin View Post
Wow, that robot arm is pretty cool. Must cost more than the Segway.
And the kickstand is great, too! About the sturdiest I have ever seen: front and back - both sides - that's my kind of kickstand!
Old 07-07-2010, 08:36 PM   #7
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

I'd never seen that vid with the arm, very cool!

"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:36 AM   #8
ViperGTS
ViperGTS is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Exclamation video

Great video.

But how is the Segway secured on the pickup when driving...

ViperGTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:42 AM   #9
Five-Flags
Five-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperGTS View Post
Great video.

But how is the Segway secured on the pickup when driving...
Just from appearances, the lift arm seems to be lowered enough to prevent lifting it up and out, which might be tough to do, due to the weight. As far as stability, the 4-point "landing gear" stand was not retracted prior to stowing the seg, nor the lift cable removed. Between them, it shouldn't go too far.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:18 PM   #10
aduboyce49

5 yr Member
Default Segway Wheelchair

Thanks for the help guys, but I still have found no info, and I also contacted Draft.Org a couple of times with no return messages, maybe because I am not a Vet. But I have been a Paraplegic for 26 years, and You think they would help anyone who is PhysicallyChallenged? But all I can do is keep searching, I guess eventually I will find someone, like the man in the truck. I could probably get a Segway like that, but that truck, and that lift is probably way out of my financial situation. Thanks Again, Aduboyce49/Alan