SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > New Member Introductions

Notices

New Member Introductions Welcome to our community! Come in and introduce yourself to other members!

Old 05-29-2014, 01:25 PM   #11
Mal
Mal is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I am planning a 600km+ solo trip from Johannesburg to Durban mostly on sand-roads and twin jeep tracks. It will be done for a charity or two. Has anyone here got any experience that they could share with me?

Thanks
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 01:27 AM   #12
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
I am planning a 600km+ solo trip from Johannesburg to Durban mostly on sand-roads and twin jeep tracks. It will be done for a charity or two. Has anyone here got any experience that they could share with me?

Thanks
Watch out for getting high-centered -- that is, trying to go over something that ends up lifting the Segway from the bottom, so only one wheel touches the ground. The Segway will rotate rather abruptly and dump you rather hard.

That's the sort of thing you have to particularly watch out for on rutted roadways. You can avoid the problem with careful attention and planning and, where necessary, dismounting.

I'm dubious of the "solo" part, unless you mean only that you'll be the only Segway. What if you're injured? Tire damage? You don't quite make it to the next power outlet -- or the anticipated power isn't available? A second person to provide logistical assistance would make it a lot more feasible, less risky, and more fun.

Take lots of pictures, post regularly to the net, and find a way to leverage that for donations.

Good luck!

Oh, and watch this movie:
http://www.10mph.com/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote