SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:56 PM   #1
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Segs 4 vets question

Just got my curiosity roused.... I was at a large county fair yesterday. Among the vendors and displays were those from the national guard, military services and veterans groups. As usual, I ended up talking Segways with a lot of folks. But of these groups, not one of those I spoke to were aware of DRAFT. I've noticed this before when they have displays at Walmart, etc.

How does Segs4vets find those who need their services? The general military public that I run into are certainly not aware of this service...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:01 PM   #2
QuadSquad
QuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member
Default Segs4Vets Recipients

Disability Rights Advocates for Technology, DRAFT, was formed in 2004 as an advocate for the adoption of universally designed technology solutions, believing they were the only sustainable approach for continued improvement of quality life issues affecting people with disabilities and the fast approaching day when the baby boomer generation would become senior citizens.

We continue to believe that the opportunities these solutions offer for extending the independent life of the baby boomer generation and people with disabilities will provide extraordinary benefits to our society as a whole.

The Segs4Vets program which DRAFT started in 2005 was intended to be a real-life example of the benefits derived by the utilization of universally designed technology.

To date we have awarded more than 1200 Segs4Vets recipients; Marines, soldiers, airmen and sailors who were severely injured and permanently disabled while serving in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom & Operation Enduring Freedom.

We continue to operate assessment and training programs at Walter Reed National Military Medical Ctr., Brooke Army Medical Ctr. in San Antonio and the Naval Medical Ctr., San Diego. In addition on a monthly basis we bring recipients and their spouses to St. Louis for training and award.

Our continued advocacy for the adoption of public policy and a regulatory environment which will be conducive for innovation and the adoption of universally designed technology solutions we believe will play a critical role in solving the profound economic and social challenges facing our society in caring for the aging baby boomer generation.
QuadSquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:03 PM   #3
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Thanks. I'll copy this to share as I get the chance..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:27 PM   #4
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Yes, but that hardly answered Lily's question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily Kerns View Post
Just got my curiosity roused.... I was at a large county fair yesterday. Among the vendors and displays were those from the national guard, military services and veterans groups. As usual, I ended up talking Segways with a lot of folks. But of these groups, not one of those I spoke to were aware of DRAFT. I've noticed this before when they have displays at Walmart, etc.

How does Segs4vets find those who need their services? The general military public that I run into are certainly not aware of this service...
I'm a veteran, am associated with several veterans organizations, and have experienced the same lack of awareness that Lily mentions.

A few years ago, I demonstrated the Segway at a local chapter meeting. But a query to the national organization (MOAA) showed total unawareness.

I am well aware of the excellent work being done by DRAFT/Segs4Vets. And I deeply appreciate it. So, they must be finding folks some way.

However, if I (for example) look at the VA's "Directory of Veterans Service Organizations", I don't see anything. Similarly, a search of sites for MOAA, VFW, American Legion, etc. don't turn up anything reasonably applicable.

So, why is that?
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:08 PM   #5
QuadSquad
QuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

While I intended to answer Lily's question I suppose that the answer was too subtle.

Because the the Segs4Vets program was restricted to men and women who sustained injury or illness resulting in permanent disability and difficulty walking who served in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom & Operation Enduring Freedom most of the recipients have become aware of the program while participating in physical therapy at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, The Center for the Intrepid at Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio or the Naval Medical Center in San Diego.

Others have discovered the existence of the program through the United States Army's AW2 or Wounded Warrior Program (no relationship to the Wounded Warrior Project) or the United States Marine Corps Wounded Warrior Regiment and a similar programs in the United States Navy and the United States Air Force.

A few years ago we did attempt to participate with the VA in a pilot program offering to establish assessment and training programs similar to those at Walter Reed, Brooke etc. at their four polytrauma centers but ultimately they rejected our offer.

The DAV National Service Trust is a huge supporter of the Segs4Vets program along with many local and state DAV organizations across the country. Some local American Legion posts as well some VFW posts have made contributions to the program as well.

While we have approached the MOAA, VFW, and the American Legion nationally to date they have not elected to become benefactors.

Of note we do offer any veteran with a service related disability who has difficulty walking an opportunity to acquire a Segway for $4800.
QuadSquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:34 PM   #6
Lily Kerns

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Yes, I realize that it pertains to a relatively small segment of the total vet population, and I always include the eligibility thing when I'm talking about it. It is just disappointing, though, that such a great program is not better known or that it has not caught the imagination of the public.

I try to include the info as often as I can work it into the conversation.

Thanks for the additional information.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:03 PM   #7
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Ah! Thanks for the clarifications.
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:33 AM   #8
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily Kerns View Post
Yes, I realize that it pertains to a relatively small segment of the total vet population, and I always include the eligibility thing when I'm talking about it. It is just disappointing, though, that such a great program is not better known or that it has not caught the imagination of the public.

I try to include the info as often as I can work it into the conversation.

Thanks for the additional information.
I do the same Lily. One thing about a segway, especially when you obviously use it for handicap-mobility purposes, you cannot segway anonomously. Wherever I go, people always talk to me, ask me about it, tell me how great it is. Its a nice thing to have people support you like that, but I always take that opportunity to tell them to check out segs4vets.org
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote