SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 05-23-2014, 03:45 PM   #1
Mr. Protocol
Mr. Protocol is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Proposed Segway ban at Venice Beach

Los Angeles city councilman Mike Bonin has authored and sent to the Transportation Committee a proposed "urgent" ordinance ("urgent" means it takes immediate effect when passed and published) to ban Segways at Venice Beach. They'll be forbidden (except for ADA use) on both Ocean Front Walk and the bikeway. $100 for a first offense, lots more plus jail time for subsequent offenses.

So much for my quick, carless trips from Venice to Santa Monica and back.

http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001FVnU1...R1A1Qe4Ztl-A==
Mr. Protocol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:14 PM   #2
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

And yet they will continue to allow bicycles, which are potentially faster?
This makes no sense...
PeteInLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:07 PM   #3
Tritium
Tritium will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

That's bullsh**
What's this bozo thinking?
Tritium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 12:28 AM   #4
rickb
rickb is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Is an electric bike considered a power driven mobility device?
rickb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 02:13 AM   #5
Mr. Protocol
Mr. Protocol is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Supposedly Segways were already banned. So are bikes on Ocean Front Walk, dogs in summer, and lots of other common items. Enforcement is nil. So I'm becoming less worried the longer I think about it. Occasionally a cyclist will get a ticket if he actually hits somebody (which they do a lot).
Mr. Protocol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:21 AM   #6
JohnG
Uber Administrator
Wise Segway Elder
JohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Let's keep the bicycle conspiracy theories out of the thread, since they are also banned. Start your own bicycle conspiracy thread in the General Discussion forum if you feel like this is an important point to make.

Thanks.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:06 AM   #7
dave
dave is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member
Default City Council approves Segway Ban Unanimously

Yesterday the City Council approved a ban of Segways and and Segway like vehicles such as scooters and hybrid scooters having either two or three wheels in the Venice Ocean Front area.

Last edited by dave; 06-25-2014 at 11:07 AM.. Reason: addenda
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:06 PM   #8
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

So I guess SoloWheels are in?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:42 PM   #9
dave
dave is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member
Default It is not as bad as I first thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post
Yesterday the City Council approved a ban of Segways and and Segway like vehicles such as scooters and hybrid scooters having either two or three wheels in the Venice Ocean Front area.
When I read the newspaper articles. I read that because of multiple accidents along the Venice Boardwalk between Segways and pedestrians that the City Council was going to ban Segways and the other types of scooters in the entire beach front area, from Washington Blvd to the Santa Monica city limit, the ocean, and the property lines of the various private property areas, on every public way, bike way, sidewalk, and trail. The Boardwalk was reported as being very narrow, too narrow for Segways to operate; however, the Segways were going to be banned in addition on the other pedestrian paths that are parallel to the Boardwalk as well as the bike path. No good reason was given by anyone on why the other paths would be closed off to Segways.

One paper, however, reported that the ordinance was changed at the last moment, before being passed. The modified ordinance has not yet been posted on the City Clerk website. I just found out from the City Attorneys office that the ordinance was modified to allow Segways on the bike path. The other types of scooters are restricted from the bike paths.

The ordinance does say that the Segways must have all the reflectors in place, a light after dark, and a sound emitting device.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:07 PM   #10
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Around here, I hear about many 'near misses' between segways and pedestrians, but very few, if any actual accidents or collisions. The quoted newspaper article indicates accidents between segways and pedestrians.

I wonder. Are they actually happening, or are some people just afraid they might? Furthermore, are people using other types of conveyances, like scooters, and having the accidents, and segways are being lumped in?

Please fill me in. Are actual accidents with segways and pedestrians really happening?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote