SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:30 PM   #1
hsvendsen
hsvendsen

5 yr Member
Default i180 to e167 Conversion

I have a functioning i180 and a non-functioning e167.

I really like the features of the e167 and would like to take the motherboards (which according to Segway Inc. are OK) from the e167 and move them over to the working i180.

Do I run the risk of suddenly having two non-working Segways?
Old 04-01-2014, 04:19 PM   #2
JaredHT
JaredHT will become famous soon enoughJaredHT will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

My first thought/question would be... are you running your i180 with Li-Ion or NiMH batteries?
(614) 299.1100

Call Today For Your Best Deal!
JaredHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:15 PM   #3
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

You certainly run the risk of ending up with 2 non-working Segways as something could go wrong, but as far as I know, the motherboards are where all of the magic happens in a Gen1 so it should work.

Although, I seem to recall the i180s had different fenders that weren't quite compatible with the lower cargo frames of the i/e167 and 170. You may need to swap them too.

Good luck!
Old 04-01-2014, 05:29 PM   #4
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsvendsen View Post
I have a functioning i180 and a non-functioning e167.

I really like the features of the e167 and would like to take the motherboards (which according to Segway Inc. are OK) from the e167 and move them over to the working i180.

Do I run the risk of suddenly having two non-working Segways?
I wonder what is functioning and what is not.

I too believe that most of the magic and most of the 'personality' of the segway is in the mother boards.

The primary difference between the i180 and the e167 other than the self balance is in the plastic and color.

If you have a working 180 and do not want it so much, I would use those parts to rebuild the e167. (As I said, I do not know what is non-functioning on the e, but if it needs a transmission, or a control shaft base, or something like that, it may be easier to move those to the e, than the mother boards to the 180.

Just a thought...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:50 PM   #5
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

IIRC, the e167 requires a certain amount of weight on the bags. It might balance ok without them, but you'd be operating out of Segway Inc's specifications.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:59 PM   #6
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

The e-167 balance software works best with about 10lbs in each bag. It needs to be able to move a large mass around. I did the opposite of the OP, I brought all of my 180 parts onto my E-167 base unit. I move transmission, fenders, CSB, CS, Handlebars, Wheels and Tires from the 180 to the 167 assuming that everything from the 180 was in better shape than the e-167.

The e-167 had been upgraded to 14.2 WITH the balance software that way the li-ion batteries from the 180.

This was way back when the 180 was still "the bee's knees" so the parts were easy to come by. I slowly purchased a bunch of parts to bring the 180 back up to like new.

I kept an eye out on e-bay for interesting e-167 parts. I think I even got a set of post office saddle bags (from a past president of SegAmerica as I recall).

If your e-167 base is in good shape I would leave well enough alone and move over all of the 180 parts, but that's just me.

jeff

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:44 PM   #7
hsvendsen
hsvendsen

5 yr Member
Default Clarifications

I have used my e167 for many years (about 10) and it slowly deteriorated to the point where I only got a blinking red key on the display.

I sent it off to Segway Inc. for a repair estimate, but all they identified was a faulty motor and some harness stuff - no apparent issues with the mother boards. Their price tag was too high for me, so I got it back, unfixed.

I bought two used motors, and replaced them on the e167, but no change. I then acquired a used i180 which works fine (I converted it to the e167 configuration with terrain tires and the e167 cargo system). Both units are on Li-Ion batteries.

My concern is that if the i180 and e167 mother boards are incompatible, I may ruin the i180 set that's working fine. I am reluctant to make the swap not knowing if I'd cause some serious grief. From the responses I received, I think I should be OK. Wish me luck.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:19 PM   #8
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsvendsen View Post
I have used my e167 for many years (about 10) and it slowly deteriorated to the point where I only got a blinking red key on the display.

I sent it off to Segway Inc. for a repair estimate, but all they identified was a faulty motor and some harness stuff - no apparent issues with the mother boards. Their price tag was too high for me, so I got it back, unfixed.

I bought two used motors, and replaced them on the e167, but no change. I then acquired a used i180 which works fine (I converted it to the e167 configuration with terrain tires and the e167 cargo system). Both units are on Li-Ion batteries.

My concern is that if the i180 and e167 mother boards are incompatible, I may ruin the i180 set that's working fine. I am reluctant to make the swap not knowing if I'd cause some serious grief. From the responses I received, I think I should be OK. Wish me luck.
Good luck. (Remember, I believe the keys stay with the mother boards)

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:12 PM   #9
hsvendsen
hsvendsen

5 yr Member
Default It Worked!!

Miracles never cease - the exchange of motherboards worked, and I am now back to running my e167 like before. Wonderful!
Old 04-10-2014, 02:09 PM   #10
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Great news... You moved e-167 motherboards -> e-180 correct? Does your self-balance feature still work?

jeff

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote