SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 11-11-2016, 08:44 AM   #21
gregn
gregn is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Regarding the limit. It's a safety thing obviously. I think if they let us go faster and there was a failure or we over powered it the recovery might not be as easy and the chance for injury would rise.
It seems they made a compromise between using max power and safety. I've had a mishap at speed and was able to just hop off and run down to a stop without falling. I would prefer that to a face plant. I know the feeling of wishing for a bit more speed especially on a flat smooth surface. But Ill trade that for the absolute amazing performance overall this unit has. May be they will release a more powerful one at some point that can move along a bit better.
gregn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 01:53 AM   #22
dl1955
dl1955 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P99Guy View Post
Glad to know it is working out for you.

Yes the limit sucks. It seems like mine is always beeping at me.

I am not hitting many hills so I may not have noticed but it always shows me 14 miles after a full charge. I have gone as far as 9 miles and still had almost half a battery left so the mileage shown may not be that accurate.

It is pretty sturdy, I weighed myself with backpack the other day at 282 and it sees that weight everyday.
That's awesome. I weigh in at 230lb. I only have about 20 miles on mine.

How many miles do you have now? Any abnormal sounds developed yet?
dl1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 12:01 AM   #23
P99Guy
P99Guy is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I am up to 127 miles on the miniPro.
I have 3 units now so I am trying to keep them from getting jealous...

I have not experienced any new sounds. I still have the grinding noise at low speed but don't notice it so much outside so maybe it the inside walls making it louder.

I went by my local Segway dealer, he didn't seem to think anything was unusual.

I don't have anyone around to compare with so all the noises may be normal.

My weight does not seem to be affecting the unit or my mileage too badly.

Last edited by P99Guy; 11-15-2016 at 12:03 AM.. Reason: Spelling
P99Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:45 PM   #24
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealzam View Post
I was able to get a Mini a few months ago. I'm a disabled user whose owned every model since the 180, including a p133. I currently have an i2 and i2 SE. I've also got the X2 tires and fenders. Given my experience, I thought I'd give you some feedback:

1: Control Shaft: the between the legs thing is a DUH feature that should have been on the device since day 1. You have MUCH more control than using a handlebar. Since about a year into my i2, I modified it in a similar way. Unfortunately, the rod on the mini is a bit too short but works amazingly.
I have not yet ridden a minipro, but I'm having difficulty understanding how the knee-steer can have more control than the i2 lean-steer handlebar. It looks much more precarious. I have done extensive video searches, and can find nothing that demonstrates evasive maneuvers, especially emergency stops. With the i2, it's simply a matter of shoving the lean-steer away from you / leaning back / crouching, and it stops very quickly and controllably. I cannot see how this action can be attained with the knee-steer on the minipro. Can anyone demonstrate this or point me to a video showing such maneuvers?

At 10 mph in pedestrian traffic, quick stops and other evasive actions can be very important...
PeteInLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:29 PM   #25
P99Guy

5 yr Member

It works exactly the same way.
Your body is the lean steer. I have no problem with emergency stops.

I do find I don't have as many emergency stops though because the top speed is lower and it weighs much less.

I have more fun on the mini-pro than my i2SE, at least on smoother surfaces because I have my hands free to open doors at speed and carry objects with both hands.

I really hope you get a chance to try one. It is really an awesome little device.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:57 PM   #26
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P99Guy View Post
It works exactly the same way.
Your body is the lean steer. I have no problem with emergency stops.

I do find I don't have as many emergency stops though because the top speed is lower and it weighs much less.

I have more fun on the mini-pro than my i2SE, at least on smoother surfaces because I have my hands free to open doors at speed and carry objects with both hands.

I really hope you get a chance to try one. It is really an awesome little device.
I am looking forward to trying one, as I still cannot imagine how certain maneuvers can be done with the knee-steer. I also have seen no evidence of system redundancy as the classic Segways have.
PeteInLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:47 PM   #27
P99Guy

5 yr Member

Well.....It has 2 wheels.......thats almost redundant.

There is no system redundancy that I am aware of.

I have fallen a few times, not due to the Mini-pro, but my biggest injuries have been on my Elite + and i2SE. (Higher speed and harder to escape due to the lean-steer being in the way)
Old 01-04-2017, 09:52 PM   #28
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteInLongBeach View Post
I am looking forward to trying one, as I still cannot imagine how certain maneuvers can be done with the knee-steer. I also have seen no evidence of system redundancy as the classic Segways have.
I built a knee steer for my i2. It worked fine, but I did not care for it as much as the handlebar...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:06 PM   #29
P99Guy

5 yr Member

I have the knee steer bar for my Elite +.

I agree, the larger base makes it much harder to use than on the miniPro.

It requires much more lean to get the base to respond and feels like you are going to fall farther due to the larger wheels and base height.

I can see it being useful for a camera guy moving slowly on fairly level surfaces
but not at speed on uneven sidewalks.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:40 AM   #30
ions82
ions82

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteInLongBeach View Post
I have physical limitations that do not allow me to use the MiniPro with the knee-steer system. So, for me, a handlebar is essential. I made one that is fully adjustable so I could get it in just the right position. I can't compare knee-steer to handlebar, but the length of the handlebar has more leverage on the steering input (because of its length) than what a knee-steer would. So, even a very light input on my MP will move the handlebars.

The steering ratios for the MP don't feel nearly as "dialed in" as they are on my i2. The MP doesn't feel nearly as stable. However, I think that is largely due to the weight and the fact that the platform is above the axles. For someone who has full use of his/her legs, it's probably perfectly fine. But, for me, I feel as though I need to be a little extra cautious while on the MP.

Still, I love the MP. I can't wait to get the seating system finished for it so I can use it like I do my i2 (with SegSaddle.) I love that it's so small, light, and quiet. If anyone is on the fence, I'd say go for it while they're still on sale. They're a bargain.
ions82 is offline   Reply With Quote