SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
Gimpy guy
Gimpy guy is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Hello. Why do other disabled people hate Segways ?

Hi,

I'm new to this and saw a thread on a wheelchair website that led me here. I didn't understand why they feel the way they do but they think if someone uses a Segway they are did disabled at all.
A toy they say even after others show pics and stuff. It's amazing as I can't Segway but don't give a hoot if others use them.

Here's the thread. A couple of folks try to defend Segway use but not many.
Opps I'm new and can't post links but the thread is on a place called wheelchair junkie. It very sad how some think.

Thanks, I just don't get it.

Louie
Gimpy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #2
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimpy guy View Post
Hi,

I'm new to this and saw a thread on a wheelchair website that led me here. I didn't understand why they feel the way they do but they think if someone uses a Segway they are did disabled at all.
A toy they say even after others show pics and stuff. It's amazing as I can't Segway but don't give a hoot if others use them.

Opps I'm new and can't post links but the thread is on a place called wheelchair junkie. It very sad how some think.

Louie
"Prejudice is being down on something you are not up on." I found this definition many years ago and I think it still holds true. That forum is a specialty form, as is this one and prejudice sometimes appears.

If one has never learned to use a Segway (as it is capable of being used) how can you possibly understand its true potential? The same would be true for a specialized wheelchair designed for a specific need.

Another factor is the prevalence of misinformation that is out there. A quick reading of this forum indicates a lot of misunderstanding of the term "approved medical device". True, Segway Inc very carefully does not advertise it as such, but that was a patent and, I'm sure, a financial issue that it was never put through that process. The assumption expressed in that forum that that means that it should never be used as such because it is "not approved" is unwarranted. An awful lot of that kind of thinking happens!

It amazes me--and it probably shouldn't-- the amount of publicity that videos of stupid use of Segways get. I met with my son, Bob, over Memorial Day and once again he amazed me with the fluid grace and precision with which this tall man uses his Segway -- most of the time hands free. If videos of this kind of usage could get the same amount of publicity, it would surely make a difference!

From the wheelchair junkie site I also went to his blog http://www.wheelchairjunkie.com/forums/ubbthreads.php
And found several posts worth reading....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #3
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Hi,

Louie
"Prejudice is being down on something you are not up on." I found this definition many years ago and I think it still holds true. That forum is a specialty form, as is this one and prejudice sometimes appears.

If one has never learned to use a Segway (as it is capable of being used) how can you possibly understand its true potential? The same would be true for a specialized wheelchair designed for a specific need.

Another factor is the prevalence of misinformation that is out there. A quick reading of that forum indicates a lot of misunderstanding of the term "approved medical device". True, Segway Inc very carefully does not advertise it as such, but that was a patent and, I'm sure, a financial issue that it was never put through that process. The assumption expressed in that forum that that means that it should never be used as such because it is "not approved" is unwarranted. An awful lot of that kind of thinking happens!

It amazes me--and it probably shouldn't-- the amount of publicity that videos of stupid use of Segways get. I met with my son, Bob, over Memorial Day and once again he amazed me with the fluid grace and precision with which this tall man uses his Segway -- most of the time hands free. If videos of this kind of usage could get the same amount of publicity, it would surely make a difference!

From the wheelchair junkie site I also went to the related blog http://www.wheelchairjunkie.com/forums/ubbthreads.php
And found several posts worth reading....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:33 PM   #4
vantramp
vantramp is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Wow. Silly me thought other people with disabilities would understand that we aren't all dealing with the same issues. There are some seriously narrow minded people there over-sharing their viewpoints. Definitely not everyone though, some folks were very decent.

-Mike
vantramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:35 PM   #5
hn7609
hn7609 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

It's not so much that they hate the Segway.....they just don't understand it. Much like the proliferation of handicapped parking permits. Those who truly need a parking spot for instance to lower a wheelchair ramp are frustrated by the seemingly able persons who have parking permits and occupy all of the spaces. The wheelchair users see you zipping by on the Segway and they assume that you are gaming the handicapped system.

I suffer from Lou Gehrigs disease and graduated from a cane to a Segway early in my illness. Unfortunately I was only able to utilize it for six months but it was a great six months. I loved the speed and maneuverability as well as being able to look people in the eyes. Now I am stuck in a 300 pound power chair and have to stare at everybody's butt.
hn7609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:42 AM   #6
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Just in case you weren't aware.. there are wheelchair solutions out there that include the segway as abase, and they may be more functional and useful than your current powerchair. I think one is called the "Ally Chair." This forumn has lots of links and info on it, just search. Best wishes.
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:43 AM   #7
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Hi,

Louie
Thanks for the thread, and your thoughts, Louie.

It is good to get the input from some people who are open minded to new things, even when those things do not apply to them.

Others have already expressed several reasons for the animosity, and I agree with many of those thoughts, but I believe the reason for the resistance to segways is not so difficult to understand, even if you do not agree.

Many people, and surely people in wheelchairs are not exempt, are pretty defensive as to the rights or perceived rights that they have, and especially depend upon.

When a person in any situation sees something they feel will or may diminish what they have now, they resist. If a person sees people on segways, and feels they do not 'look' sufficiently disabled, from the standpoint of a person in a wheelchair who does 'look' sufficiently disabled, they are afraid that the general public will start to question anyone who claims to be disabled.

Once people are given the additional burden of having to convince skeptical people that they really do need the services or considerations they need, (parking spaces, access in a way that Able Bodied people do not get) they feel that those considerations will be in question. Beyond all that, they feel that is an unreasonable burden. (And the ADA agrees, you are not required to explain your disability).

Most people, surely not just disabled people, hate to see others 'get over' on them. When waiting in a long line, who among us like to see someone cut in the front? When in the waiting room for anything, how many of us like to see someone walk in from the street and get service right away?

More on point, when we see some person drive into a blue space, and hop right out, and run into the store, how many of us do not feel there is something very wrong here? Many of us will not vocalize that, and surely we should wait to see who that person may be picking up, or what not, but our initial reaction is usually negative, as it seems the driver was 'getting over' on the system, or abusing it, by using services destined for others.

Mostly, I appreciated your posting because you saw past the initial reaction, to the potential that the segway can surely be used as a mobility device that can aide people if they need it.

For those who do not think of the segway as a mobility device, I encourage them to look into Segs-4-Vets. After researching that, tell me how the segway is only a toy.

I also have seen on television how Bill O'Reilly is championing a track driven wheelchair for Veterans who need them. I applaud any effort to get these wounded heroes the tools they need, but I wonder how that same forum will think of a track driven chair. It looks and acts like a small tank. Surely, it has a very recreational aspect to it, and is designed to be used off road, out and away from buildings. I suspect because of its size, it is less adept inside buildings or tight spaces. I wait for the same condemnation from these same people on that.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:50 AM   #8
hn7609
hn7609 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwoynaro View Post
Just in case you weren't aware.. there are wheelchair solutions out there that include the segway as abase, and they may be more functional and useful than your current powerchair. I think one is called the "Ally Chair." This forumn has lots of links and info on it, just search. Best wishes.
Thanks for the thought.......I am aware of the Ally Chair and some of the other Segway solutions. Unfortunately the progression of my disease means that I require a chair that I am forced to live in. Power rise, tilt, recline, articulating footrests, attendant controls, $$$, $$$, $$$, $$$, etc.
hn7609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:30 PM   #9
Pkelley
Pkelley is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

It is amazing to me that more people don't use Segway for mobiliy. So many people that could use them that are not.
Pkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:20 PM   #10
Gliding Steel
Gliding Steel is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default A bump to emphasize an important point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkelley View Post
It is amazing to me that more people don't use Segway for mobiliy. So many people that could use them that are not.
PKelley made a great point that just occurred to me at a post Church social. Several mildly disabled folks who would benefit from gliding IMO were making inquiries. I felt I was an ambassador/salesperson for Seqways. Most importantly, my life has become so much better. I really want others to have in their lives the same blessing that I have.
We should be active advocates of appropriate use of Seqways for the disabled. This is of course just one role we all should play as ambassadors to the public. Everybody will benefit from such advocacy.
Gliding Steel is offline   Reply With Quote