SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:09 AM   #31
Cybercat
Cybercat is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I usually tell people the price, and then I add that the Segway is proof I have more money than brains.

Don't flame me!
Cybercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:53 PM   #32
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

If I am involved in a reasonable conversation and the question of price comes up, it is different than if a stranger opens with that question.

I would not see a person in an attractive jacket and start the conversation by asking how much it costs.

I would not walk by a person with a dog, and ask them how much they paid for it as an opening question.

I would not open with questions of how much a person paid for any item, because it is rude and low class to start a conversation that way.

For me, this is where this topic is germane. I do not care so much about the dollars, either to share a high number or low, but it is an invasion of my privacy, and to ask is rude... And I do not respond well to rude behavior of any sort.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:04 PM   #33
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

My machine is seen around town quite a bit. I don't want just anyone knowing what it's worth, what I paid for it, or any other perceptions about my personal finances. It could make the machine or me a target.

I just refer them to ebay, craigslist, or other internet searches. Then, if they are sincerely interested, the information is out there.
PeteInLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 02:32 AM   #34
Amimoto
Amimoto will become famous soon enoughAmimoto will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

maybe I should hang a price tag on my Segway, the local retail price here is USD$15,000 hehehe

sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk APP
Amimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:25 AM   #35
bob yarbrough
bob yarbrough has a little shameless behaviour in the past

5 yr Member

Jim,

You've received some very good responses and I hope you found some to be helpful for the question you have asked.

You also stated the following:

I'm just tired of THIS question being the most common thing people ask.

So I'll ask what have YOU done within yourself to change your perception of this question? Will you become less tired of this question as less people interact with you while glideing or are you able to change your perspective of others interest/curiosity and thus become less tired of this question?

be safe,
enjoy your glide...

Bob Yarbrough
the PONY SEAT guy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

the PONY SEAT
bob yarbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:16 PM   #36
KSagal
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob yarbrough View Post
Jim,

You've received some very good responses and I hope you found some to be helpful for the question you have asked.

You also stated the following:

I'm just tired of THIS question being the most common thing people ask.

So I'll ask what have YOU done within yourself to change your perception of this question? Will you become less tired of this question as less people interact with you while glideing or are you able to change your perspective of others interest/curiosity and thus become less tired of this question?

be safe,
enjoy your glide...

Bob Yarbrough
the PONY SEAT guy
I would offer that starting a conversation with a rude question (like how much did you pay for that?) is a boorish thing to do, and a person who is irritated by that is correct to be that way.

So, if you have standards of behavior and others are rude, I do not believe it is a responsibility of the person who lives a better life to lower themselves to the rude behavior, nor change themselves in any way...

If a body were to be 'tolerant' of the rude behavior, then it encourages it, by not discouraging it. That which is not tolerated reduces with repeat exposure. That which is tolerated grows with repeat exposure.

This is a case where you are part of the problem, or part of the solution. Too many people in our society see rude or inappropriate behavior, and choose to ignore it, or not get involved, and therefore that behavior flourishes, and becomes more prevalent.

It takes effort, and exposure to the slings and arrows of boorish behavior to stand your high ground, and not accept being treated rudely. I encourage us all to take that effort, and do not run from the responsibility to be an example of doing it right, rather than accepting that others will do it wrong.

This is not about segways anymore, but about how you choose to live your life. I choose to live it by my standards, and to the values that I choose, not to the values of others.

You may choose to tell the boor that their question is inappropriate, or may choose to educate them about a better way to satisfy their curiosity, or many other avenues are open to you...

Bob did not ask me, but if he did, I would answer that I choose to not change, and will continue to be annoyed by rude behavior, and will continue to point it out at all available opportunities. Perhaps one of the rude people who ask that question will recall my displeasure with their approach, and will act more respectfully the next time something piques their curiosity...

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:22 AM   #37
bob yarbrough
bob yarbrough has a little shameless behaviour in the past

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I would offer that starting a conversation with a rude question (like how much did you pay for that?) is a boorish thing to do, and a person who is irritated by that is correct to be that way.

So, if you have standards of behavior and others are rude, I do not believe it is a responsibility of the person who lives a better life to lower themselves to the rude behavior, nor change themselves in any way...

If a body were to be 'tolerant' of the rude behavior, then it encourages it, by not discouraging it. That which is not tolerated reduces with repeat exposure. That which is tolerated grows with repeat exposure.

This is a case where you are part of the problem, or part of the solution. Too many people in our society see rude or inappropriate behavior, and choose to ignore it, or not get involved, and therefore that behavior flourishes, and becomes more prevalent.

It takes effort, and exposure to the slings and arrows of boorish behavior to stand your high ground, and not accept being treated rudely. I encourage us all to take that effort, and do not run from the responsibility to be an example of doing it right, rather than accepting that others will do it wrong.

This is not about segways anymore, but about how you choose to live your life. I choose to live it by my standards, and to the values that I choose, not to the values of others.

You may choose to tell the boor that their question is inappropriate, or may choose to educate them about a better way to satisfy their curiosity, or many other avenues are open to you...

Bob did not ask me, but if he did, I would answer that I choose to not change, and will continue to be annoyed by rude behavior, and will continue to point it out at all available opportunities. Perhaps one of the rude people who ask that question will recall my displeasure with their approach, and will act more respectfully the next time something piques their curiosity...

Maybe you are quite right?

Your goal to vanquish rude behavior from the civilized world
is indeed an admirable one.
I wish you all the best on your latest quest, Sir Don Quixote.

Although,
1. One could tell the person that it is "none
of your business".
2. Just ignore the question and continue on your way.
3. Offer no response
other than "have a nice day and proceed to glide off into the sunset.

be safe,
enjoy your glide...

Bob Yarbrough
the PONY SEAT guy

the PONY SEAT
bob yarbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:07 AM   #38
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Hmmmm....if someone is rude, that is their problem. If you are rude in return, that is your own problem...
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:25 PM   #39
fathertime
fathertime is a name known to allfathertime is a name known to allfathertime is a name known to allfathertime is a name known to allfathertime is a name known to allfathertime is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

I always say "about the same as a good motorcycle" and let the person decide what that number is as I glide away!
LaGrange, Il. 60525
(708) 352-1685
fathertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:10 PM   #40
KSagal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily Kerns View Post
Hmmmm....if someone is rude, that is their problem. If you are rude in return, that is your own problem...
Thank you Lily. I believe you are exactly right.

Responding to that which you do not like in a way that you would not want others to respond to you, accomplishes nothing. It is the very essence of lowering yourself to that unacceptable level.

I choose to believe that people are rude because they do not know better. I try to offer them choices, and let them see their error, rather than encouraging more of it by responding in kind... (I am not always successful, nor do I always maintain my own standard of choice. That is my objective on this topic, to tilt at the windmill, if you will, and to never be one)