SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > In the News

Notices

In the News All of the latest Segway-related news.

Old 07-09-2016, 10:53 AM   #1
sbrand
sbrand is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default If I buy a MiniPro to use around Boston... Can I use?

Came to this forum looking for some info on whether, if I purchase a new Segway MiniPRO from Amazon, I will likely be tolerated, ignored, or ticketed in and around Boston.

I've read the 2011 Segway ordinance, which reads as if it outright bans personal assistive mobility devices from public spaces and streets for private individuals unless one has a legitimate medical need for it. I don't.

So what I'm hoping to learn is whether or not this ordinance is typically enforced or ignored around here by the Boston police Dept - in the experience of those who routinely use one around here. I'm looking to use it in the Backbay area, most often along the bike lanes between Comm Ave and Clarendon St. Garage, where my vehicle is housed. I would also hope to occasionally use it along the esplanade bike paths or walking paths.

A short list of questions:
  • Do the police typically ticket for any use of a Segway on the streets around here?
  • Is there any difference in police tolerance between riding on street, bike lane, or sidewalk?
  • Is there a difference between the Boston side of the Charles and the Cambridge side in terms of being legal?

Appreciate any advice here. I would buy one it if I can use it, but if I'm going to get fined for it, obviously not a good idea.
Old 07-09-2016, 04:06 PM   #2
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Sure sound like it would be a wast to spend $1k and not be able to use it?

Have you talked to your local police dept?
Old 07-09-2016, 09:29 PM   #3
dudeman1961
dudeman1961 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Segway in Boston

Doens't sound legal... best of luck

http://www.walkboston.org/policy-pos...ways-sidewalks

http://northendwaterfront.com/wp-con...nedbyMayor.pdf
Old 07-10-2016, 12:10 PM   #4
sbrand

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale View Post
Sure sound like it would be a wast to spend $1k and not be able to use it?

Have you talked to your local police dept?
I'm pretty sure, based on the 2011 law, that the 'official' answer if I ask local police directly will be NO. So hoping to tap into some local knowledge here from Boston area Segway owners about how frequently in their experience it's actually enforced here.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:22 PM   #5
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrand View Post
I'm pretty sure, based on the 2011 law, that the 'official' answer if I ask local police directly will be NO. So hoping to tap into some local knowledge here from Boston area Segway owners about how frequently in their experience it's actually enforced here.
Well if your disabled (like me) maybe there is a way around it....If not, knowing its against the law and still doing it, travel at your own risk I guess?

Good luck, keep people in the loop here, always helps for others..
Old 07-10-2016, 06:08 PM   #6
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

My information is dated. I have not glided in Boston proper for a couple years, I live in the suburbs to the north.

When I did glide in Boston, several times, and well after 2011 (I was at some of the local hearings) I was not harassed or ticketed.

My last glide was all over Boston, starting at Fannual Hall, going thru the west end, into Cambridge, around MIT and then to Harvard Square, then back into back bay and past the common and down town...

Only issue we had was when I was talking with a Boston Bike cop while he was peddaling and I was gliding on the sidewalk past the gardens, up toward the common, I was stopped by an MDC cop at the entrance to the commons. The boston gardens (swan boats) are managed by Boston City cops, the common is managed by the MDC cops. (They used to be Metro cops, I do not know what they are called now.)

The local cops had tried segways, and did not seem to mind at all, but the county (MDC) cops seemed to care much more, and it was negative.

Historically, there was a tour group in the north end, and the owner of that tour had a horrible relationship with the town, and annoyed lots of people, and got legislation passed against segways that may not have otherwise been passed without his problems. (I had heard that he had similar complaints with the bike tours he also ran, but the bike lobby is much stronger than the segway lobby, and there are far more bikes, so his impact was a smaller percentage)

As I said, my data is old, so I will not offer any current opinion as to what you should do... My best guess is that if you are not offensive, and not causing a disturbance, most police have more important things to do than deal with you and your segway. However, in their defense, if someone complains, they also have a duty to respond to the complaint.

Good luck, keep us posted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:51 AM   #7
sbrand

5 yr Member

Thanks KSagal for sharing your gliding experience. I have decided that the only way to figure this out is to order the MiniPRO from Amazon, which I did today, and use the 14 day return period to get some answers first hand. I'll ride as responsibly as I know how in as broad an area as I can find time to test out, and see if I get hassled or not. Will share back to the forum
Old 08-10-2016, 03:46 PM   #8
sbrand

5 yr Member
Default Update: after 4-5 weeks

Here's an update after using the MiniPro around Boston Back Bay area: I've had no issues with local ordinances. I've traveled moderately - about 55 miles so far or roughly every other day. I've been on sidewalks, along bike lanes (Dartmouth St, Comm Ave, Mass Ave past Symphony Hall), and occasionally on one way streets (e.g. Marlborough St)when the brick sidewalks are too funky. I've been all over the Esplanade into Harvard Sq and back along the Charles on the Cambridge side, across the Mass Ave bridge and across Charles St. at the Museum of Science. I've glided past cops (always careful to be on sidewalks or bike lanes) and not even a peep. While I've seen full size Segway tours on my travels, I have not encountered another MiniPro. I suppose it would be different if there were many MiniPros creating havoc and weaving in and out of traffic like urban bicyclists tend to do, but so far so good. And by the way, the MiniPro is awesome: solid, fun, so much amazing technology put to good use in a small portable device. Definitely can be used as an every day reliable transporter... not a toy.