SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:02 AM   #1
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default how to hoist up a segway ?

Hi Folks:

I wanted to see if anybody had some suggestions that might help me out. I have 2 segs, an I2 and and SE. I currently haul them on the back of my SUV on a segvator. I am getting a handicap lift, like a little crane, that mounts inside my SUV, and it will pick up the seg, and that way I can easily haul it inside my SUV rather than outside the car. I had a few days last winter where the cold really stressed out the batteries on the segway, and it should work much better hauling it inside. The particular lift I will be using is demonstrated in the quick video accessed via the enclosed link.

But my question is... how should I attach the lift strap to the segway to pick it up safely without damaging the segway ? They make all sorts of adapters to attach to the end of the hoist strap to connect to various wheelchairs or scooters. I am thinking initially that my best bet is basically a snap-link at the end to allow me to loop the hoist strap to a nylon strap that I rig to the segway.

I have cargo bars on my I2, so a little strap between the 2 loops at the back on top of the cargo bars could hook to the hoist strap and should work. The SE I am not sure what to do with yet. There is a loop in the casting of the leansteer that would be convenient to attach to the hoist, but I dont think that is the smartest way to lift the SE. Maybe two small straps that basically straddle the batteries from front to back, one strap on each side and I could hook the hoist strap to those ?

Let me know if you have any ideas and thanks for your help.

http://www.bruno.com/big-lifter/?sea...570#tab-videos
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:22 AM   #2
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

A nice 3" wide tow strap doubled around bottom... http://www.amazon.com/b?node=15737581

Maybe a 9 footer with loops on the end...2 straps under batterys...Loops on one side, then choke them through the closed end and tightened to top of base...
It wont slide and balance should be good by the way you choke it...

With that loop you could easily change the center of gravity on it...wish I could explain better....

If you lifted at the bars Im sure they would start bending them inword....
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:26 PM   #3
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwoynaro View Post
Hi Folks:

I wanted to see if anybody had some suggestions that might help me out. I have 2 segs, an I2 and and SE. I currently haul them on the back of my SUV on a segvator. I am getting a handicap lift, like a little crane, that mounts inside my SUV, and it will pick up the seg, and that way I can easily haul it inside my SUV rather than outside the car. I had a few days last winter where the cold really stressed out the batteries on the segway, and it should work much better hauling it inside. The particular lift I will be using is demonstrated in the quick video accessed via the enclosed link.

But my question is... how should I attach the lift strap to the segway to pick it up safely without damaging the segway ? They make all sorts of adapters to attach to the end of the hoist strap to connect to various wheelchairs or scooters. I am thinking initially that my best bet is basically a snap-link at the end to allow me to loop the hoist strap to a nylon strap that I rig to the segway.

I have cargo bars on my I2, so a little strap between the 2 loops at the back on top of the cargo bars could hook to the hoist strap and should work. The SE I am not sure what to do with yet. There is a loop in the casting of the leansteer that would be convenient to attach to the hoist, but I dont think that is the smartest way to lift the SE. Maybe two small straps that basically straddle the batteries from front to back, one strap on each side and I could hook the hoist strap to those ?

Let me know if you have any ideas and thanks for your help.

http://www.bruno.com/big-lifter/?sea...570#tab-videos
Did you ask them for seg info? I just did...... So we'll see ...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 05:52 PM   #4
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily Kerns View Post
Just got a reply back and they don't have a device for my 2005 Subaru...
Give them full credit for promptness though!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:27 AM   #5
rwoynaro

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily Kerns View Post
Thank you for that idea, Lily. Why not ask them... didn't occur to me. I am going to the authorized dealer tomorrow with the Segway to check out the particulars and meet with the guys who do the installs and figure out the best way to do it. I am going to get in installed the week after labor day as I on vacation then and can do without the car. I'll post some pics when its done.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:29 AM   #6
rwoynaro

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale View Post
A nice 3" wide tow strap doubled around bottom... http://www.amazon.com/b?node=15737581

Maybe a 9 footer with loops on the end...2 straps under batterys...Loops on one side, then choke them through the closed end and tightened to top of base...
It wont slide and balance should be good by the way you choke it...

With that loop you could easily change the center of gravity on it...wish I could explain better....

If you lifted at the bars Im sure they would start bending them inword....

Thank you Airdale, I have a good idea what you are referring to. I see how it would choke down if you put one end through the loop on the other end and you could then move it and center it so its nice and balanced. That sounds like my plan for now.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:48 PM   #7
rickb
rickb is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Here is a link to a guy that developed a lifting collar to use with his Bruno lift. I have no idea if it's appropriate to lift the Segway in this manner or if the lifting collar is still available, but it looked interesting nonetheless. Maybe it's an example of what not to do.

http://dammon.com/slideshowsegway/sl...gway/index.htm
rickb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:49 AM   #8
rwoynaro

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickb View Post
Here is a link to a guy that developed a lifting collar to use with his Bruno lift. I have no idea if it's appropriate to lift the Segway in this manner or if the lifting collar is still available, but it looked interesting nonetheless. Maybe it's an example of what not to do.

http://dammon.com/slideshowsegway/sl...gway/index.htm
Thank you very much for the info, Rick. I am a bit hesitent to lift it by the leanseer though. I met with the dealer this past week and we sat and discussed all sorts of different methods to attach the lift to the segway. He will be getting back to me today with the final ideas. I will see what he comes up with and go from there, maybe the collar will work out. Thanks again for you efforts, I appreciate it.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:09 PM   #9
Lily Kerns

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I heard back from them and they don't make one for my car....2005 Subaru Impreza
Old 08-10-2015, 07:25 PM   #10
rickb
rickb is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

I happened across this SegSaddle/Bruno lift demo video.

rickb is offline   Reply With Quote