SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 06-07-2015, 12:49 PM   #1
fathertime
fathertime is a name known to allfathertime is a name known to allfathertime is a name known to allfathertime is a name known to allfathertime is a name known to allfathertime is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Thumbs down Proper Training Needed!

http://fox2now.com/2015/06/06/idaho-...mically-wrong/

Why wasn't proper training administered in this critical application?
LaGrange, Il. 60525
(708) 352-1685
fathertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 03:11 PM   #2
terryp
terryp has a spectacular aura aboutterryp has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Another question would be why they would be so eager to let the public see their ignorance on TV. The department obviously didn't think it necessary to read the manual or view the training video. I just hope they weren't as lax with their guns and other equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fathertime View Post

Old 06-08-2015, 06:39 PM   #3
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fathertime View Post

This is stupid on all counts! I hadn't seen this until just now as I was ready to post the information below. Talk about coincidence!

Dear Segway chat friends, if you have or even might have the opportunity to teach someone how to use a Segway I hope you will pay close attention to what I'm going to write in this post. I am a teacher by instinct as well as training and I’ve been teaching something or other, adults and children, for more than 70 years, so I speak from years of caring experience.

I just returned from a long weekend conference where I had opportunity to speak to a number of people about Segways. Some were simply curious, some were curious because they had never seen a “ real” Segway before. Some had questions about disability use. Several had taken a Segway tour and were eager to share their excitement about the experience.

A few, however, had had a bad experience and had vowed to never get on one again. Their bad experiences were about evenly divided between awkwardness in getting on and off of the machine and that seesaw that so many beginners experience. I was lucky. My son, Bob, who uses a Segway himself, was my teacher which gave me a trust level that not all those new to the training will have. Because I believe this trust level is critical to learning to use this rather peculiar machine, I would like to propose a new approach to teaching Segway use. It is designed specifically to avoid those scary moments. I would welcome feedback from both beginning and experienced users, as well as from those who train others on a regular basis.

Do your basic safety video, demonstrations and explanations first. When you are ready to put the student on the Segway, follow these steps:

The official Segway explanation of skill required to use a Segway is simply the ability to step up one step without having to pull yourself up by a railing. That explanation is simple enough, so let’s take advantage of it to begin our analysis of what’s required.

1. If at all possible, provide a single step to practice on. Provide a railing or other support to provide an atmosphere of security. If not, ask them to visualize the process with you or watch carefully as you demonstrate and explain.
a. Without hanging on to the support, place one foot on the step and gradually transfer your weight to that foot. The other foot will transfer weight to the ball of the foot and/or toes and be ready to leave the ground as you put your full weight onto the first foot.
b. Place the second foot on the step and redistribute your weight evenly.
2. To step off the step, reverse the process. Transfer your weight to one foot, then gradually lower the other foot to the ground and transfer your weight to that foot. Then you can lower the other foot to the ground as well.
3. Ask the student to do this several times until they understand the steps involved.
4. Ask them to visualize the process and imagine themselves doing this. You want them to _ really_ know how they do this.
5. Ask them to experiment to see which foot they prefer to use first in both getting on and off.

Now, and only now, bring the Segway into the active training equation.
1. Stand in front of the Segway and hold it securely.
2. Invite the student to step up on the Segway just as they did on the step. Do not allow them to take hold of the handle because they will instinctively pull it toward themselves as they step up causing the Segway to move.
3. Let them simply stand there a minute and feel a familiar balance.
4. Practice getting on and off without holding on to anything. I'm tempted to suggest they continue with this practice until they are bored with the idea.
5. Ask them to stand still and stretch out their arms, wave, clap or whatever seems appropriate. Be sure you are holding the Segway securely. You do not want them to feel insecure in any way at this point.
6. Depending on your evaluation of the student, you can do these next two steps with or without telling them what you are doing. Ask them to just stand perfectly still for a minute to help them realize that they are simply standing on an alternative surface.
7. Gradually relax your hold on the handles until they are balancing on their own. Keep your position in front of them in case your assistance is needed.
8. Allow them to hold the handles lightly but assure them that they won't be using them yet. Alternatively, if you can monitor closely, ask them to do the next two steps with hands at their sides.
9. Ask them to press down with their toes and allow them to move forward slowly. Stay in front of them.
10. Ask them to shift their weight to their heels so they will stop and begin moving backward. Follow their movement.
11. Have them use a single finger tip to initiate turnings in a slow S pattern. Use your judgement in how closely you supervise at this point. An adventurous student may be ready to take a solo trip at this point. Others may need more encouragement.
12. Give them a nearby goal point for their first solo experiment, perhaps a cone or a simple box to go around. Be sure there is an abundance of turning room at the end. Be ready to move to them if they need help in getting turned back.

Once they have learned/experienced confidence in getting on and off and learned that movement can be slow, subtle and safe, they are ready to begin more aggressive –and traditional—beginner training.

As I said, I welcome feed back. If this process resonates for you, feel free to incorporate some or all of it in your training experience at any level.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:14 PM   #4
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

Lily,

Great and very thorough step by step. I wish you luck with it.

For me however, I do not usually use so many independent steps.

I do use the toes down, or toes up as an example of forward and rear.

I take a new person who expresses interest, and if we go to where we go to a potential demonstration, this is what I do...

1. I tell the novice that the first practice is to simply stand up straight, and relax. I explain that people often try to use the handles to stabilize themselves, but point out that they are not using their hands to strand up now...

2. I then tell them that to go forward, they should push down on their toes while standing there. I explain that going forward is kind of like leaning into a conversation, and making a point during a conversation.

3. To stop going forward or to reverse, it is like lifting their toes, shifting their weight to their heels, kind of like discovering their conversation mate has halitosis.

4. Then I invite them to step onto the segway while I hold the handlebars securely. I remind them that while they can use their hands on the handlebars, they should remember to simply relax and stand upright.

5. Once stable (I have them shift forward or back on the platform if needed), I gradually release my grip on the handlebar, while coaching the novice as needed.

6. The rest is a little here or there. I have them come forward or back up, after getting that under control, I show them how to turn.

I think that each person has their own way to teach how to use a segway. The fact that I am strong enough to hold the machine even if the rider is not helping makes my technique different from someone who might not be. Also, I like to stress the simplicity of the machine, and often say that less is better, and a common mistake it to try too hard to control it.

So, good luck with your step by step. I like it and may use bits.

It has been my experience that most people I meet that are older or hesitant if they can ride or not, do well with my casual and simplistic into. For those who are more confident and eager, it also works as it gets them on very quickly. All in all, this procedure has served me well for several hundred demos, if not more over the past decade plus.

So, I think that each person should do what makes them most comfortable. As long as you get the lesson taught well, and the novices have fun and learn the basics, all is good here...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:17 PM   #5
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

And the more we think this through, the better. Thanks for your contribution!

Yes everyone is different. And a good sensitive trainer will be aware of this. I've found that the step practice for on and off, the toe/heel approach for slow movement, and feeling confident in just standing on it before riding on your own will solve a lot of the things that scare folks. If they start to panic even a little it makes matters worse. It's easy to forget or not realize just how sensitive this thing is.

When I talk to folks I usually demonstrate a bit of no-hands movement and start and stop which tends to impress them.... My kids are right. I do enjoy talking about this thing...
Old 06-08-2015, 10:01 PM   #6
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

I think it is important to make sure the Segway is already in riderless-balance mode before any attempts to step up onto it by a novice or trainee.
(Sorry if this was already mentioned elsewhere)
PeteInLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:11 AM   #7
Lily Kerns

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteInLongBeach View Post
I think it is important to make sure the Segway is already in riderless-balance mode before any attempts to step up onto it by a novice or trainee.
(Sorry if this was already mentioned elsewhere)
Yup! And be sure it is turned on!
Old 06-09-2015, 04:13 PM   #8
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Am I the only one thinking this is 50% bad AND 50% funny? Sure, as officers they should be properly trained for use out on the street, but this looks like a bit of a lark behind the scenes. The officers seem to be having fun anyhow.

And for the training advice, I would just add that the Seg should be in turtle mode (so it doesn't turn so quick).
Old 06-09-2015, 07:22 PM   #9
noalox
noalox is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrandwood View Post
And for the training advice, I would just add that the Seg should be in turtle mode (so it doesn't turn so quick).
Agree completely!
noalox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:51 PM   #10
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrandwood View Post
Am I the only one thinking this is 50% bad AND 50% funny? Sure, as officers they should be properly trained for use out on the street, but this looks like a bit of a lark behind the scenes. The officers seem to be having fun anyhow.

I agree, at least on some level it is funny. In many cases, we get too sensitive, because the image of segways and segway users is so hammered so often in the press.

At some point, we need to be ready to laugh at funny segway events, but I too have been in the past, where I did not think it comical when people would post a collection of inappropriate segway use.

I believe the line can be a thin one, and easy to step over. If a non-segway person (or even a segwayer) posts a collection of dumb or silly people misusing a segway, I often have a problem with it. Especially if I perceive that they posted it to make fun of segways or segway folks.

But people honestly having a good time, laughing and laughing at themselves, is a fun thing to see, if they have a have a segway or not.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote