SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:27 PM   #11
terryp
terryp has a spectacular aura aboutterryp has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Thanks for your detailed explanation, Jason. It does sound like the timer makes sense for owners who only use their Segway occasionally (hard for this user to imagine ).

I have a few questions though.

1) If the timer's 'off' period allows the batteries to 'relax' (good for them), doesn't continually restarting the charging cycle keep them topped off (bad for them)?

2) When the BMS goes 'to sleep', do the battery LEDs stop blinking?

3) It sounds like the BMS 'lock-up' you've experienced causes the batteries to overcharge. Do the LEDs come on solid when this occurs?
Old 06-09-2015, 12:46 PM   #12
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryp View Post
...... owners who only use their Segway occasionally (hard for this user to imagine ).
Off topic, but I have two X2s that are kept for my grandkids to use, when they visit.

And my wife's XT is sometimes not used for 2 or 3 weeks.
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:58 PM   #13
MTOBATTERY
MTOBATTERY has a spectacular aura aboutMTOBATTERY has a spectacular aura about

Terry,

1) Yes, it's not a perfect scenario which would allow the battery to discharge more prior to charging further but it is healthier than non-stop charging. Users can (and should) modify the length of charge to accommodate their usage. If extended storage is required batteries are best charged and removed.

2) No, you will still see an occasional flashing green light but it is very infrequent.

3) The lock up can be caused by many different reasons (over voltage, under voltage, over temp, under temp, EEPROM failure, etc. When this occurs I have seen the lights stay solid green and never change. I have also seen the lights go solid red. In my particular case the lights went solid red. Once power was cycled to the CSB the problem never repeated itself (knocking on wood).
MTOBATTERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:33 PM   #14
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

I'm curious how age and time affect the batteries. My understanding was that lithium cells naturally lose capacity/power with time, regardless of use. How is it possible that 8-year old cells are still functioning at 100%?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:53 PM   #15
MTOBATTERY
MTOBATTERY has a spectacular aura aboutMTOBATTERY has a spectacular aura about

You are correct sir. I would expect if tested we would find they do not have full capacity and would likely have a moderately increased internal resistance. Probably just not enough capacity gone for the user to notice and not enough IR for the machine to limit performance yet.
MTOBATTERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 03:57 PM   #16
rotorblades
rotorblades is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregRice View Post
Question, should Ion batteries be kept on the charger all the times when not in use?
im no expert on lithiums but ive learned from this forum and mtobattery expert guy
that lithiums need the testingpart of charging often which as i understand it occurs at the initial start of chargingbefore bulk charging.i didnt see any answer on this older question so i jumped in. thanks so much to this forum.some use a timer to restart the charge sequence. hope this helped some.
rotorblades is offline   Reply With Quote