SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 08-01-2008, 03:57 PM   #21
RAG1247
RAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

at some point in time there will be another segway like product which may or may not be better - too many people here seem to bash any possible newcomer without any real info, mostly speculation. while I am a devout segway supporter, inc could be in one of toyota's or sony's bathrooms and no one would notice.

The lack of any real competition so far has been due to what appears to be a very small market.

"If you can’t change the people around you, change the people around you"
RAG1247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 04:37 PM   #22
JohnM
JohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAG1247 View Post
The lack of any real competition so far has been due to what appears to be a very small market.
Or is the very small market due to what appears to be the lack of any real competition?

I look at the sales to ATVs, snowmobiles and PWCs, devices used by 99% of their owners as toys, then look a the sales of Segways, a device with more practical uses as well as a high fun factor and wonder what went wrong.
RUSA #235
UMCA #

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

JohnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:01 PM   #23
sholloway
sholloway will become famous soon enoughsholloway will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
A true "Last Mile" device.

At the right price, Toyota will sell zillions.
Why? Because they know how to sell things.

And its no competition for the Segway because Segways were never legal in Japan. Too big and fast for their sidewalks. Can't compete with something that never made it out of the gate.
Zillions? I have to disagree, at least in its current form. It doesn't seem like it could handle even very small changes in terrain (up anyways), and it is too slow. They know how to sell things but I think quickly the word would get out that it is simply to limiting to be on one. The Only advantage seems to be that you're not walking. I wouldn't think that would be enough to sell zillions. I think even the elderly would be disappointed with its speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

sholloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:02 PM   #24
unclejay
unclejay is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Toyota Fibs

My bet is, Toyota is fibbing about the speed and range, because there is no mass market for that slow a vehicle. Possibly they plan to offer it in the trunk of one of their cars. They are probably trying to keep Segway off their back re patents until they have some experience. A greater worry is, what if Toyota buys Segway ? You might HAVE to buy a car to get a Segway.
unclejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:30 PM   #25
segsurfer
segsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
A true "Last Mile" device.

At the right price, Toyota will sell zillions.
Why? Because they know how to sell things.

And its no competition for the Segway because Segways were never legal in Japan. Too big and fast for their sidewalks. Can't compete with something that never made it out of the gate.
The segway p133 is a true last mile device, a small, portable, and most importantly, capable device. With it's tiny wheels and limited speed I wouldn't trust the winglet on anything other than smooth flat ground which is what you will encounter .003 percent of the time during average use as a last mile device. Were the p133 to be re-introduced at a lower price point, the winglet would be rendered nothing more than a mere trinket for Toyota fanatics.
-segsurfer

segsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:05 PM   #26
NotQuiteCode3
NotQuiteCode3 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I agree with the idea that competition is good. Seeing a similar device like that catch on would be good for Segway.

There are more and more huge malls, schools and other places people go where they spend alot of time walking to get from one point of interest to another. A little key-fob sized transportation device would be easy to keep in the car and make some of those trips to big places much easier to navigate.

The factors here are that it would be easy to take along in the car, and would be cheap enough for people to afford. That second part remains to be seen, but the price would have to be less than a Segway.

Lynn
NotQuiteCode3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:55 PM   #27
SegSailor
SegSailor will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default Pearl Harbor, This Ain't...

Leave it to Toyota to bring a slingshot to a gun fight. Are you freakin' KIDDING me? Have you SEEN the videos?? This thing is a gnat!!! Elderly transportation??? I'm thinking NOT! I'll gladly put that TOYota thingy next to a Segway, and let my older customers choose which one they want to try. Hint: I have yet to break the half century mark, and half a lifetime ago I used to just LOVE sidewalk surfing. Now skateboards scare the "HE-double-hockey-sticks" out of me! And this thing isn't much bigger.

I'd love to ride my Segway next to one...in reverse! It has about the same top speed going forward as a Seg has in reverse. And I'd dearly love to see one of THOSE go off a curb! I'd try it for them, so long as they will bring the broom and the dustpan to pick up all the parts. I really hate cleanup duty.

"Segway Killer"??? I love the descriptions. They really want Segway to fail, and some are even inferring that Segway sales are dwindling; yet anyone that has spent any time at all researching tight lipped Inc. knows that just the opposite is true. So WHY are people cheering this thing (follow the links to the blogs) as the Segway killer??? This is one vehicle that the Japanese got wrong. Waaaay wrong. Look at your Segway: Right product, right time. Period. The one that we got right, and they got wrong. Yes, as some have said, Toyota sells the heck out of its products, but only the good ones. If the "Killer" is the best that they have to offer, they are about to learn what it's like to be in the junk business. Though I might buy one; I'll hang it from my lean steer like a pair of fuzzy dice from a rear view mirror in a '57 bChevy!

The University of Seg-Ville
Taking gliding to a higher degree!
SegSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:53 PM   #28
GadgetmanKen
GadgetmanKen will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member SegwayFest Attendee

I think its got potential, but not in that form or speed. I would however expect Toyota or Sony to have something better than this.

In its current state, size, etc., I don't see it even interfereing with Segway at all. What if they were to put larger diameter wheels on it and got greater speed as well as mileage with them, Would you want one then? Would it interfere, maybe...

I agree in its current state it is not a threat to Segway. But perhaps being Segway is now public they could or would introduce a competitor (wingnut) just to drive Segways price down and if they too own stock it means more money for them as well, eh?

I still don't think I could trust a hands free model, bump, "ouch", what happened? At least with the handlebars you got something to hang onto even if it goes down with you.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:18 AM   #29
Twyfer
Twyfer is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Smile Comparing apples with apples

If you want to compare the current version of the Winglet with a Segway, then perhaps this is the version that you should be comparing with rather than an i2

The point being that the Winglet is a prototype machine and will undoubtedly evolve into something more refined...........

From the photo taken by Stuart Bloom of the "Ginger Museum" poster, SegFest 2004.
Twyfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 08:05 AM   #30
WLSINWI
WLSINWI is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Or is the very small market due to what appears to be the lack of any real competition?

I look at the sales to ATVs, snowmobiles and PWCs, devices used by 99% of their owners as toys, then look a the sales of Segways, a device with more practical uses as well as a high fun factor and wonder what went wrong.
If you compare the Segway to ATVS snowmobiles motorcycles and PWC's it is clear to me what went wrong.

The Segway has three major deficiencies that prevent mass acceptance.
1: It is a personal transport device that is not intended to transport more than one person and a very limited amount of cargo. Most of the above toys will carry two people on one device.
2: The battery had/has a limited range and once depleted needs hours to charge. No bringing a can of gas to refuel.
3: Lets face it it is relatively SLOW. People like speed and the wind in their face. Now I understand why it is limited to 12mph- without that it would not get legal approval to use sidewalks and paths but it lacks that macho speed experience that young males with extra money like to feel and take their girl friends out for rides on..

Anyway the Winglet is I agree a real joke. It's like they tried to miniturize a Segway. The wheels are to small and obviously the battery is too small to have any range. It doen't look usefull or durable or even safe. I'm thinking it is all plastic construction. I see it going nowhere.

However I am encouraged that people are starting to seriously consider such devices in various situations. The Segway was ahead of its time, perhaps now that time has arrived.

Here is some more info on that winglet. 3mile range at 3 mph.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080801/...toyota_robot_2

Last edited by WLSINWI; 08-02-2008 at 08:39 AM..
WLSINWI is offline   Reply With Quote