SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 08-12-2016, 02:08 PM   #1
solom01
solom01 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Spare Tires

Hi folks, brand new here so please excuse me if this question has been asked before. Since the miniPro comes with no-name somewhat cheap looking tires I imagine it won't be long before I get a flat. I've seen where replacing them is about the same as a bike and doesn't require removing the wheels, it's a simple job. Imagine my surprise when I call Segway and they told me that replacing the tires would void the warranty and that the entire unit had to be sent in for warranty repair. That's insane, what type of company would sell a product with pneumatic tires and not make replacement tires readily available? Imagine buying a bike or car, having a tire be damaged and being told that spares weren't available and that you had to return the entire product for warranty work? Anyhow, I plan on just returning the product - I realize it's a new product but not having consumables available at its introduction doesn't bode well for any future parts needs but since I really do like it I just thought I'd ask, does anyone here know of a source of replacement tires for the miniPro? Thanks.
solom01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 03:42 PM   #2
TLyleJeep
TLyleJeep is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

The tire size for the minipro is 70/65-6.5 and I found it on http://www.aliexpress.com/ but it looks like the minimum order is 2 tires. I have never ordered from them before but that's the only place I have seen with that size listed.

I'm sure in the coming months spare parts will become available since all things mechanical break.

That sounds pretty stupid if you have to return it to Segway for them to replace the tires!
TLyleJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 05:42 PM   #3
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solom01 View Post
... Imagine my surprise when I call Segway and they told me that replacing the tires would void the warranty and that the entire unit had to be sent in for warranty repair. That's insane, ...
At that point, I would ask to speak to a supervisor. Their advertising does not mention any such unreasonable/unexpected requirement.

The instruction manual doesn't have any information about that, either. But when looking at the manual, I found the following information:

A. The following people should not ride the miniPRO:
i. Anyone under 16 years old or above 60 years old. Riders be tween 16-18 years old should ride
under adult supervision.

So, since I'm 77, I'll just continue to happily use my X2, rather than being tempted to "upgrade".
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 05:29 PM   #4
gregn
gregn is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I was able to place an order for one of the tires from aliexpress. It has shipped and should be arriving soon. I'll post as to the quality. I don't need to change it yet and hopefully won't ever need to but good to have.
gregn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 05:55 AM   #5
gregn

5 yr Member

I just received my tire order from AliExpress. It is the same tire without the ninebot stamp. I was able to order just one.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:50 PM   #6
jrambonnet
jrambonnet is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregn View Post
I just received my tire order from AliExpress. It is the same tire without the ninebot stamp. I was able to order just one.
How will you replace the tire? Can I bike shop do it? Will it void the warranty?
jrambonnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:55 AM   #7
gregn

5 yr Member

I have tire irons. I got this as a spare so if I puncture one I can get moving again. I think I may order another just to have two so when and if they wear I have a set.
These are tubeless so you just pull the cover, deflate, break the bead, and lever it off. There is a video from Ninebot UK that explains the process
https://youtu.be/PenHZ8-sAe8
Old 12-10-2016, 05:07 PM   #8
NChat
NChat is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

There may be a viable solution to minor puncture repair on an otherwise good tire besides Slime, a tire plug kit, or changing the tire completely. I recently learned about a glue that can seal even a pipe -- and hold -- to 100psi. I'm looking into it. I think applying a durable, permanent glue seal externally to any tire leak would be a welcome simple fix.
NChat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:14 AM   #9
Hogo
Hogo is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Hello, anyone put a slightly larger tire on? I'm looking to remove the fenders and put a 13" tire on the minipro to smooth out bumps for filming stuff.
Hogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:01 AM   #10
captclam
captclam is on a distinguished road

3 yr Member
Default Can't get verification it won't void warranty

I put larger tires on mine. They work great. However, I cannot get a straight answer on whether or not it voids the warranty. I get simply, "should not void your warranty" from the support people. Has me worried.
captclam is offline   Reply With Quote