SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 11-12-2016, 05:07 PM   #11
ions82
ions82

5 yr Member

I just pulled the trigger on a Mini Pro. Got me wondering if I could fly with It if need be (instead of taking the wheelchair.) If I remember correctly, they have a 310 wH battery. I believe the Xiaomi Mini is under 300. Either way, I much prefer to drive than fly anywhere, so it's of no consequence to me. Maybe at some point in the future. As cheap as these things are, I would buy a Xiaomi just to take on flights (if indeed a sub-300 wH battery is permitted.)

Anyway, I assume the Mini Pros are selling like hotcakes. I ordered one through Amazon, and there was an additional shipping charge for it (only six bucks). I'm now wondering if that was to offset some sort of hazmat fee. So many rules and regulations! With all the crappy hoverboards going up in flames, it's not likely to change any time soon.
ions82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 12:31 PM   #12
segrick-ATL
segrick-ATL is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Please read the Flying with a segway thread on the Special Needs board. If you take a needed Mobility Device (Segway, scooter etc) there ARE NO LIMITATIONS ON LITHIUM BATTERY WATT-HOUR RATINGS per the Air Carrier Access Act CFR (Code of Federal Regulations - ie Law, not guidance). Many, but not all airlines have instituted policies to be in compliance with the ACAA CFR - meaning if the aircraft is large enough to accommodate a Segway, electric wheelchair etc, it FLYS. Call your airline for that discussion.
If the rights afforded by the ACAA for disabled passengers and their mobility devices applies in your situation, the PHMSA, IATA and other lithium "shipping" regulations are not the principal means of compliance by a carrier, its the ACAA CFR they must abide by.
Old 11-20-2016, 04:51 PM   #13
dudeman1961
dudeman1961 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default You can do it!

I fretted, I listened, I read, I called, I flew (10/16)! (2008 LIon i2)
dudeman1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 04:37 AM   #14
ions82
ions82

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by segrick-ATL View Post
Please read the Flying with a segway thread on the Special Needs board. If you take a needed Mobility Device (Segway, scooter etc) there ARE NO LIMITATIONS ON LITHIUM BATTERY WATT-HOUR RATINGS per the Air Carrier Access Act CFR (Code of Federal Regulations - ie Law, not guidance). Many, but not all airlines have instituted policies to be in compliance with the ACAA CFR - meaning if the aircraft is large enough to accommodate a Segway, electric wheelchair etc, it FLYS. Call your airline for that discussion.
If the rights afforded by the ACAA for disabled passengers and their mobility devices applies in your situation, the PHMSA, IATA and other lithium "shipping" regulations are not the principal means of compliance by a carrier, its the ACAA CFR they must abide by.
Thank you for that info, segrick! I thought I remembered something like that, but the info you provided really hit the nail on the head. I don't know that I would want to travel with my i2 as I'd be afraid it would be damaged. I might take the MiniPro as I could put it in an overhead compartment! VERY cool to have these options.
ions82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 12:07 AM   #15
segrick-ATL
segrick-ATL is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Overhead bin... I was thinking more along the lines of an empty roller board bag, wheeled duffel or Pelican case that I would place it in at the gate and check it as an assistive device, tagged to be brought to the Jetway on arrival. Not sure it would fit in the carry-on sizer, although that doesn't seem to bother some fliers! Carrying the MP down the aisle cradled in your arms would be tough since the aisles are not wide enough to roll it. Lastly, all overheads are not built the same so size results may vary...

And I agree about the handle vs. Knee steer. I gotta get one. Using an i2 for 5 years. I can't easily get my second leg around the pads due to an AFO on my lower leg. After a little riding with the ks on the MP, I would feel safer and don't have to worry about what to do with my arms...
Old 11-23-2016, 07:58 AM   #16
gsouser
gsouser is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Segway travel

I fly with my to Europe twice a year with no problems with my Gen 1. One time I did have an issue with Air France that refused to allow me on the plane. Caught the next flight to Paris with Delta. Air France ended up issuing me a$600 travel voucher and admitted they were wrong since it was in my record and I fall into the american disability act with my prosthetic leg. Make sure to have the paperwork showing what battery type you have. I too will start disconnecting the handlebar as I have had to replace 3 so far when traveling.
gsouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 03:52 PM   #17
Pescador12
Pescador12 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Other thoughts on air travel of huge lithium batteries.

Are hazardous battery powered Segways the only device disabled people can use to fly? Can't people who need mobility assistance use safe to fly lead acid battery based devices or the older nimh batteries?

Does the ACAA CFR allow people to bring Hydrazine/catalyst fueled turbine motored mobility devices (lots of power in a compact package) onto a plane? Hydrazine is very hazardous and poisonous but is a compact power source like lithium batteries are. How about a gasoline powered wheelchair?

Sounds like my family's flight would be endangered by people who have to bring huge lithium batteries on board. Bullying others, with disability laws, to accept a needless hazard regardless of lithium batteries history of catching fire on their own.

Only a matter of time before someone pushes a cheap, fire prone, hoover board as their mobility device that aircrew have to let on board. Hoover board owners and Segway owners yelling that their device is safe so air regulations should be waivered. ValueJet flt 592 went down because of hazardous, fire prone, cargo in its lower lobe.

Even Boeing had problems with 787's lithium aircraft batteries backed by the latest technology in care in maintenance. Fire after fire. They are now pretty much mounted in a fire bunker.

You want to fly with a mobility device? Then bring something safe that complies with air safety regulations instead of trying to work the system.
Pescador12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:36 AM   #18
Pescador12
Pescador12 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Disregard

Disregard the previous post. I'm sure disability rights laws and airlines take into account the various batteries (even Chinese knockoffs) that might be involved.
Pescador12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 04:26 PM   #19
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Pescador,

The i2 segway battery is large, larger than what is specified in some of the airline guides, but that does not make it more dangerous.

This is a complicated topic. The amount of lithium in a battery was stated as a safety determiner, but the chemistry is a better one.

There are certain chemistries, like the type in the segway battery, that cause it to be much safer than other types of lithium batteries. Unfortunately, these chemistries also have the side affect of usually making the battery charge slower (because this configuration restricts the energy flow out or in, hence, no thermal run-away) and often also make them more expensive.

Because of this, some cheaper or 'faster charging' batteries do not use this safer chemistry.

The travel restrictions do not take different kinds of Lithium batteries into account.

All that having been said, I do not know the chemistry of the ninebot or other devices that now also carry the Segway name. I suspect, since it is a Chinese company, that they do not carry the safer chemistry, but I may be wrong.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 04:55 PM   #20
OAKRIDGE
OAKRIDGE is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Sort of hard to disregard the hate in your post. Your remarks are down right ignorant and thoughtless. I completely understand the concerns you have but your statements were not respectful at all.

"Are hazardous battery powered Segways the only device disabled people can use to fly? Can't people who need mobility assistance use safe to fly lead acid battery based devices or the older nimh batteries?"

Your car/truck/motorcycle is also dangerous to people walking on the sidewalk and carries a hazardous material called gasoline or diesel. Could you not use a bicycle or merely walk instead??

"Sounds like my family's flight would be endangered by people who have to bring huge lithium batteries on board. Bullying others, with disability laws, to accept a needless hazard regardless of lithium batteries history of catching fire on their own."

Bullying others. Well that is exactly what you are doing with your comments. Look at your wording and you will see that you did nothing but bully those with disabilities. I served this country for 19 years of my life. I lost my entire left leg (hip down) and the lower portion of my right leg during my second tour in Afghanistan. I don't want pity or anyone to thank me for my service. I do want you to recognize that your statements imply that I must sit in a power chair when I have the ability to stand on a Segway to move around. You imply that I have to sit there and have everyone looking down upon me while speaking to me. That I can't go into a store and reach something on a shelf 5ft in the air. That I can't have people look at me on the Seg and see it as neat instead and having people engage me with interest. Instead you expect me to be content listening to parents quietly telling their kids to stop staring at the disabled guy. Have you ever had such a disability? Have you thought what it might be like to have these issues? Do you think this is what I wanted? Have you ever went through the mental mind screw of trying to learn to stand again? Now you say you are the one being bullied when you feel your comfort is more important than mine. The Segway is the one thing that allows me to be somewhat normal.

You will find in nearly every case lithium batteries only catch fire when they are not put together properly, not shipped properly, or become damaged. How many Segway machines have you heard of catching fire on a plane, train, or anywhere?

The world is not all about you, me, or anyone else. It's about US. I would politely request that you all put yourself in the shoes of someone else prior to posting such statements. I know that there are "some" very inconsiderate disabled folks out there, I have encountered them as well. I have also encountered a few folks that are not disabled that are not so polite either.

God Bless You and hopefully you see things from a different perspective a little better now as well.
OAKRIDGE is offline   Reply With Quote