SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 04-16-2017, 12:24 PM   #1
GregRice
GregRice will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default Flying the unfriendly sky's on United

Another bad decision made by someone trying to fly the friendly skies on United. I've not flown with my Segway MiniPro yet, I've always flown with my P133's. I too use my Segway's for personal mobility. Has anyone else here flown with a MiniPro? Here's the article reporting the experience this Segway user had while flying on United.

http://fortune.com/2017/04/15/united...ay-disability/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GregRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 06:19 PM   #2
SegNerd
SegNerd will become famous soon enoughSegNerd will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

I'm not sure why you call this a bad decision by the flyer. Are you referring to the decision to use United in the first place? The incident itself was clearly United's fault.
SegNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:44 AM   #3
Pescador12
Pescador12 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I wonder if TSA and United Special Needs desk thought the mini pro was a full size Segway P133 without lithium batteries.

Then United staff sees someone arrive with a hoverboard clone/variant (hub motor wheels, 18650 lithium batteries, cheap) and says no way. With the disconnect of department polices for all these tech toys, United looses in the court of public opinion.

There is a kid online that damaged his mini pro's batteries and replaced them with new cells. They are just laptop cells. He had a local electronics guy toss the 2800mah stock cells and replace with no name brand 3200mah cells. It gave him a 20+ mile range. Now days airlines can't even tell what batteries are in mini pros.

Last edited by Pescador12; 04-17-2017 at 12:57 AM..
Pescador12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:49 AM   #4
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pescador12 View Post
There is a kid online that damaged his mini pro's batteries and replaced them with new cells. They are just laptop cells.
I would be surprised if the mini-Pro isn't using 18650 form factor batteries - They're pretty much the industry standard. 92 of them in each Segway battery (184 of them in total) and the Tesla Model S is also powered with them - More than 7,500 of them in the Tesla pack

Don
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:43 PM   #5
Pescador12
Pescador12 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don M View Post
I would be surprised if the mini-Pro isn't using 18650 form factor batteries - They're pretty much the industry standard. 92 of them in each Segway battery (184 of them in total) and the Tesla Model S is also powered with them - More than 7,500 of them in the Tesla pack

Don
At 184 cells per big Segway, switching to regular LG MG1 series batteries (from the expensive proprietary batteries) would be $600ish just for the batteries. Then you would need the nickle strips and weld them yourself. Any opened battery being banned from aircraft.

Battery guys hunt wrecked electric cars to salvage those cells. Hybrid cars are also handy. I wonder what process is used to economically connect 7,500 cells.

I did notice that the passenger in the article didn't complain or seem to have much of an issue with United's response. He was probably expecting not to be able to take the mini pro. The article writer had more of an hissy. Exciting article on a trending subject (United) to bring in audience numbers to a website facing stiff competition?
Pescador12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 02:05 PM   #6
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

You can't fly with Segway batteries even if they are sealed. The FAA prohibits carrying any form of lithium ion battery larger than 160 watt hours

https://www.faa.gov/about/initiative...info/?hazmat=7

A single Segway battery is about 385 watt hours

The Tesla batteries are contained in individual modules consisting of 444 Panasonic 18650 cells of about 3400 mAh nominal capacity. The cells are configured 6s74p, Voltage range for each module is about 24.9V at 100% SOC for a capacity of 250Ah, 5.3kWh. The cathodes are welded to a tube to enable them to be liquid cooled. Most people using them for home solar purposes buy however many modules they need and use them in their OEM configuration

My Mitsubishi EV's use large 50 Ah cells, 88 of them in series for a 16 Kwh pack

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tesla Pack.jpg (203.9 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Don M; 04-17-2017 at 02:27 PM..
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote