SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 12-08-2016, 03:02 AM   #1
SegwayUtah
Advanced Member
SegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really nice

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default Best way to lock up an i2 today?

The original gen1 gear had holes in the wheels and fenders which made it easy to lock up the Segway. Then the control-shaft-mounted locks came out and those were super-nifty (before someone allagedly figured out how to open those kinds of locks with a bic pen).

What's the best way to lock up a Segway i2 today? What do you all use to lock up your leansteer-style Segways?

Chris
SegwayUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 05:48 AM   #2
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegwayUtah View Post
The original gen1 gear had holes in the wheels and fenders which made it easy to lock up the Segway. Then the control-shaft-mounted locks came out and those were super-nifty (before someone allagedly figured out how to open those kinds of locks with a bic pen).

What's the best way to lock up a Segway i2 today? What do you all use to lock up your leansteer-style Segways?

Chris
I have an I2 with cargo bars and I go thru the cargo bars to lock it up. Before I had the cargo bars, I used the official Segway lock that attached to the leansteer. It worked fine to lock it to my SegVator, not so well to posts,etc. I then took the offical Segway lock, attached it to the leanseer, made a pile of coils with it and looped thru that stack of coils with a regular bike chain to lock around posts, that worked the best.
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:45 AM   #3
Tritium
Tritium will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I had used the original Leansteer lock for a long time until it eventually frayed and started stabbing me.

The bic pen tubular key myth is a myth.

Now I carry a standard cable and go through the racks.

-Tritium
Tritium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 04:04 PM   #4
SegwayUtah
Advanced Member
SegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really nice

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'm nervous about locking up to something that's only attached by a few screws

Are there any dealers or stores out there that still have Segway-brand (leansteer) locks available for sale?
SegwayUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 05:31 PM   #5
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'm nervous about locking up to something that's only attached by a few screws

Are there any dealers or stores out there that still have Segway-brand (leansteer) locks available for sale?
I thought Segway stopped making them?
I have a brand new one I never used.....
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:03 AM   #6
Tritium

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:

So, if you can't find a Segway LS lock, I would recommend attaching the racks with two to three different heads. I.e. Torx, Hex, and Security Torx.

I don't think any thief carried three sets of bits LOL...
Old 12-12-2016, 04:37 AM   #7
rotorblades
rotorblades is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Default segvator info

i read you have a segvatormy gear is failing the threads need lube or something it gets stuck at the top and requires a yank on the hand crank
anyone know how to fix these or where to get parts?it looks like the lift motor is a standard 5th wheel electric lifti found some info i guess ill have to have the old screw jack cut off and a new one welded on=
Stromberg Carlson Electric A-Frame Tongue Jack - 18" Lift i guess this is the same onesegvator company is defunct or worse

Last edited by rotorblades; 12-12-2016 at 04:58 AM..
rotorblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:03 AM   #8
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorblades View Post
i read you have a segvatormy gear is failing the threads need lube or something it gets stuck at the top and requires a yank on the hand crank
anyone know how to fix these or where to get parts?it looks like the lift motor is a standard 5th wheel electric lifti found some info i guess ill have to have the old screw jack cut off and a new one welded on=
Stromberg Carlson Electric A-Frame Tongue Jack - 18" Lift i guess this is the same onesegvator company is defunct or worse
I had that problem, I stopped raising the SegVator to the very top where it stopped. It was then easier for it to lower and i didn't have that problem anymore. I would stop maybe 1 inch from the top. Find a reference mark on the beam to supports the part that raises up and only raise it up to that point. That worked for me.
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 07:15 AM   #9
Tritium

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

That^ is what we did.
It continually got worse until the entire unit eventually died.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:13 PM   #10
rotorblades
rotorblades is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Wink

thanks folks mine has the clicking clutch that tells u that the locking arms are tight enough that prevents over tightening i got the dual kit withcharging inverterattached
gees that has no rain protection at all for the inverter
rotorblades is offline   Reply With Quote