SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:19 AM   #21
drsmr2
drsmr2 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default 829 Miles

Both of my i2's are used. The dealer who sold it to me recently told me it had 814 miles on it, not higher. It appears to be in really good shape and runs fine. Could it honestly have over 10K and he not know it? The dealer is very reputable. Another thing to mention is on Saturday, we did a tour of DC, put the Segway's in the car & left them overnight, took them out in the morning, powered up and rode off for the 1-1 1/2 mile run. The battery showed 4 bars at that time and when we returned. I don't know if not being charged overnight for that time had any effect or not....just thought I would mention it. I really appreciate everyone's help. I hope to figure this out soon.

Denise
drsmr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:40 AM   #22
SegNerd
SegNerd will become famous soon enoughSegNerd will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

In my opinion, there is no question that the dealer gave you wrong info. However, I don't think there is any way for the people here to guess accurately whether it was an honest mistake or an intentional lie. I certainly hope it was an honest mistake, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was.

Did he tell you in writing that it has only 814 miles, or just verbally?

Do you still want the Segway now that you know its true mileage?
SegNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:03 AM   #23
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsmr2 View Post
Both of my i2's are used. The dealer who sold it to me recently told me it had 814 miles on it, not higher. It appears to be in really good shape and runs fine. Could it honestly have over 10K and he not know it? The dealer is very reputable. Another thing to mention is on Saturday, we did a tour of DC, put the Segway's in the car & left them overnight, took them out in the morning, powered up and rode off for the 1-1 1/2 mile run. The battery showed 4 bars at that time and when we returned. I don't know if not being charged overnight for that time had any effect or not....just thought I would mention it. I really appreciate everyone's help. I hope to figure this out soon.

Denise
I agree with SegNerd, any dealer should know about the blinking eye as being over 10K. I had forgotten, but I am not a dealer.

Segways are pretty robust, and 10K plus miles does not automatically mean it is on its way out. But it clearly is not a machine with only 800 plus miles.

It seems very clear that your machine was most likely modified to look newer than it is. 800 miles will cause a certain amount of wear, and will not look like 11000 miles. If the dealer knew and replaced fenders and tires and what not to make it look much newer, it also is suspect.

I believe the question asked previously, if you have paper that indicates that it has only 800 plus miles, or just his comment, is significant.

Good luck. Consider this well. A machine of any age with 11K miles has been used differently (commuter, tour machine) than a machine if the same age with less than 1 K miles. Some people buy ex-rental cars and love them, other refuse to ever buy an ex-rental car. This is the kind of consideration you need to make. (By the way, it is common for tour segways to be speed limited)

Glide more, have fun.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:03 PM   #24
SegNerd
SegNerd will become famous soon enoughSegNerd will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Right, what I was getting at is, the dealer misrepresented the Segway to you. Regardless of whether the misrepresentation was intentional, this gives you the right, if you want, to return the Segway for a refund, and to take the dealer to court if he refuses.

However, if you don't have anything in writing that says the mileage is 829 miles, the problem is that the dealer will probably just say "I never said that" in court, and you may lose your case. Verbal representations are still binding - but you have to prove that they happened, which is often impossible.

There is also a practical question involved. Most areas are lucky if they have even one Segway dealer nearby, and if you sue this dealer, he is under no obligation to ever do business with you again. (He could choose not to do business with you for any reason, except for race/religion/gender/etc.)

Like KSagal said, a Segway with high mileage is not necessarily a bad Segway, and if you are satisfied with the value you got out of this deal, even though the dealer misrepresented it, then you might be better off just keeping the Segway, especially if you have no written proof of the misrepresentation.
SegNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:11 PM   #25
Toto
Toto is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Blinking Eye on InfoKey

FYI the blinking eye stuff has also been discussed in the German SegForum incl. some illustration: Was passiert nach 9999 km bzw. Meilen ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Toto; 09-09-2013 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: typoo
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:17 PM   #26
Tritium
Tritium will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto View Post
FYI the blinking eye stuff has also been discussed in the http://www.segforum.de/index.php incl. some illustration: http://www.segforum.de/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7450
Wow, that's amazing.
Tritium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:20 PM   #27
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
FYI the blinking eye stuff has also been discussed in the Gernan SegForum incl. some illustration: Was passiert nach 9999 km bzw. Meilen ?
A bit easier to get there in KM, of course.

I had never asked about this, but from the discussion I now assume that the distance traveled is stored somewhere in the Segway, rather than in the Infokey?

Also, what happens if you have been using the KM setting, but change to Miles?
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:30 PM   #28
Tritium
Tritium will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale@thecoys.net View Post

I had never asked about this, but from the discussion I now assume that the distance traveled is stored somewhere in the Segway, rather than in the Infokey?

Yes, the mileage is stored in the Segway, this is supported by the fact that when you buy a new InfoKey programmed to the Segway, it will sync and update the mileage.
Tritium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:48 PM   #29
Toto
Toto is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Yes, x1.609 easier

Quote:
The InfoKey just displays the converted value.

Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:00 PM   #30
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritium View Post
Yes, the mileage is stored in the Segway, this is supported by the fact that when you buy a new InfoKey programmed to the Segway, it will sync and update the mileage.
Quote:
Yes, x1.609 easier
The InfoKey just displays the converted value.
That all makes perfect sense - I just wanted to get confirmation for the benefit of anyone who searches for this in the future.

Thanks
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote