SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:51 PM   #1
Seginaway
Seginaway will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default Favorite Segway thing . . .

For me, each Glide provides a new experience that continues to provide enjoyment and a new awareness of my surroundings. It also makes even more happy that I decided to become a Segway owner.

The number 1 enjoyment I get as a Glider is the freedom to meander and enjoy the environment around me. When I drive or ride a bike, I don't get to experience the environment around me, I'm just traveling through it. While a walking excursion allows one to experience the immediate environment, it also limits how far and how much you can experience.

Even in my everyday commuter Glides over the exact same path, I have a higher awarness of what is around me, the sounds, the smells, the sights as I need to be much more aware of what is happening around me as Gliding can be dangerous.

Just the other day as I came around a corner in the path there was a Red Tailed Hawk munching on its prey. The size of the bird was surprising and I spent a few moments watching a scene in nature from only a few yards away. Something I would never see while driving as the horns blowing from behind me suggest that I stop lingering and move on.

What are your favorite Segway things. . . .?
Seginaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:54 PM   #2
DaveA
DaveA is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Here's a note I wrote to my daughter a couple of weeks ago:
Quote:
I rise from a short noon nap, jump on the seg and scoot down the road, headed back to work. The sun is high overhead, mid-80s, and our subdivision is
deserted -- the kiddies haven't arrived yet from school.

Sucking on one of those strawberry Hall's thingamabobs, I approach the corner liquor store where a couple of birds are raising merry hell in the field to my left. I look to see a hawk come swooping down over the water, scattering two other little ones who were getting a drink.

(The field formerly occupied by the Christmas tree guys has become a lake in the last ten days. Boy have we had a lot of rain here.)

The hawk lands on the shore on my side of the "lake", fairly close by, so I detour into the parking lot and drive back to admire the hawk. It pays me no mind, and stands there about 20 feet away staring at me while I stare at it. The bird presently scratches behind its ear, and fluffs itself up, and I smile -- I like birds. Then it stretches its wings and gives one great lazy stroke, which takes it a hop of barely three feet.

But it's in the water now, its talons completely immersed. It bends over several times and thrusts its face into the lake, stretches up and swallows great gulps of water, again paying me no mind. Then it unhurriedly flies off, heading thataway, scattering the small birds again.

I continue on my own way, crossing the street at the Mobil station, then wait on the light to cross Mitchell Hammock. While standing there I feel the sun warm on my face. A grasshopper buzzes by, making an audible <tick> when it crash-lands on the concrete island. I can hear a lawn mower operating somewhere out of sight.

The slight breeze shifts and for a second I can smell the cut grass that the mower was producing.

A stream of cars passes by, each of them hermetically sealed against the environment, windows shut tight, playing their radios at sufficient volume to tune out the world. I might as well be the only person here.

The world is mine. The sun is mine. The hawk, the grasshopper, the smell of the grass -- all mine. The light changes to green, I head up the street toward my employer's office, and turning into the parking lot is hard, very hard.
DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:57 AM   #3
Seginaway

5 yr Member
Default Bobby Flay visits . . .

Another favorite on a Segway.

On the Glide home last night, I came across a delightful aroma eminating from a backyard BBQ. It was so good I reversed and floated around for a few minutes to enhale the sweet aroma thinking what I would be cooking on the barby later that night.

It was so good, it might have been Bobby Flay visiting the neighborhood.

Just another example of why I enjoy the Segway experience.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:20 PM   #4
DarthSegVator
DarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really nice

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default First-Timers

That look and Segway smile people get after a proper introduction to the machine. You can tell the exact moment when they "get it".

The awe and delight people display is almost child-like and quite contagious.

This type of response is further magnified with the Segs4Vets program. Watching recipients come to the realization that they can gain back freedoms thought to be gone forever is an experience you will never forget.

What a truly magnificent device!

PS - I hope more SegwayChat members can join us at future Segs4Vets ceremonies and experience this first-hand. We'd love to have you there.

Last edited by DarthSegVator; 06-11-2009 at 12:28 PM..
DarthSegVator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:26 PM   #5
segsurfer
segsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSegVator View Post
That look and Segway smile people get after a proper introduction to the machine. You can tell the exact moment when they "get it".

The awe and delight people dis play is almost child-like and quite contagious.

This type of response is further magnified with the Segs4Vets program. Watching recipients come to the realization that they can gain back freedoms thought to be gone forever is an experience you will never forget.

What a truly magnificient device!

PS - I hope more SegwayChat members can join us at future Segs4Vets ceremonies and experience this first-hand. We'd love to have you there.
Very well said Darth; I agree 100%.
-segsurfer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
segsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:36 PM   #6
Seginaway

5 yr Member

A smile, whether from a worthy vet or a child that points and gleefully tugs his parents arm to have them notice the gliding Segway, is one thing that you always get with a Segway.

Smiles abound when your on your Segway, whether they are the Glider's or from those all around.

Smiles, another of my favorite things about Segways. What's yours?
Old 06-11-2009, 11:29 PM   #7
SegwayDan
Advanced Member
SegwayDan has a spectacular aura aboutSegwayDan has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

All machines we make are controllable in some way, but the Segway PT control is unique. Not that I have experience with prosthetics, but being on the machine is almost like having one. It just responds so sensitively, proportionally, and reliably, you eventually almost forget it's there beneath you.

Dan Swanson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

727-403-2628
SegwayDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:56 PM   #8
PeaboJones
PeaboJones is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Wink What's not to like?

The gentle breeze. The quiet whir. The closeness to trees, wildlife, buildings, people. The smile from gliders young and old and those I pass by. The fasination. The sense of freedom. The simple feeling of the glide.
PeaboJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:11 PM   #9
bud01234
bud01234 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

My favorite (and frequent) dream as a child would find me gliding down a sidewalk; my feet not touching and the feeling of flight was delicious.

I recreate that dream every time I ride the Segway.
bud01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:03 PM   #10
Seginaway

5 yr Member
Default Raindrops keep fallin' on my head . . .

Definetly one of my favorites, happened just last night on my Glide home from work when I forgot to check the weather report and as the rain drops came down, I couldn't help but sing that B.J. Thomas / Burt Bacharach song . . .

Raindrops keep fallin' on my head, and just like the guy whose feet are too big for his bed . . .

Nothin' seeems to fit, those raindrops are fallin' on my head, they keep fallin' . . .

So I just did me some talkin' to the sun . . .

What's your favorite. . . ?