SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 12-30-2015, 10:37 AM   #1
GregRice
GregRice will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default Flying With A Segway

Question for those of us who travel (fly) with our P133 Segways. Has anybody that does, flown since all the publicity about the Swegways catching fire? Seems Russell Crowe doesn’t keep up with what’s going on with the lithium batteries and the airlines banning them on planes. http://www.cnbc.com/2015/12/29/actor...is-segway.html . I haven’t had to fly since this started but I’ve flown for years with my P series for years now with little to no problems with the airlines. If you’ve flown in the last 4 to 6 weeks let me know what your experience has been. Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GregRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 01:38 PM   #2
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

I haven't flown, ever, with a Seg, but P133's have nickel metal hydride batteries, not lithium.

Whatever you had to do in the past to convince the airlines that your machine doesn't have lithium batteries will likely still work. You could call the airline(s) of interest to check their policies. Each airline could be different.
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 04:31 PM   #3
GregRice
GregRice will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

I've never had much of any problem flying with my Segways in the past. I've only had a few agents ask about the batteries. When they have I just told them they are nickel metal batteries and they never asked for any documentation. I asked the question now because of all the publicity surrounding the Swagways catching on fire.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GregRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:15 PM   #4
rotorblades
rotorblades is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregRice View Post
Question for those of us who travel (fly) with our P133 Segways. Has anybody that does, flown since all the publicity about the Swegways catching fire? Seems Russell Crowe doesn’t keep up with what’s going on with the lithium batteries and the airlines banning them on planes. http://www.cnbc.com/2015/12/29/actor...is-segway.html . I haven’t had to fly since this started but I’ve flown for years with my P series for years now with little to no problems with the airlines. If you’ve flown in the last 4 to 6 weeks let me know what your experience has been. Thanks!
i was turned away by united last year so i went by cruise ship it was fun even in 16ft swells
rotorblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 02:11 PM   #5
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Quote:
i was turned away by united last year ...
You have a P133 and you were turned away?

Or, you have a newer model with lithium ion batteries, which no passenger airline knowingly allows to fly?
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 04:16 PM   #6
rotorblades
rotorblades is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civicsman View Post
You have a P133 and you were turned away?

Or, you have a newer model with lithium ion batteries, which no passenger airline knowingly allows to fly?
sorry i should have been more specific i do have lithiums the FAAy is the one that says no im told
rotorblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 03:55 PM   #7
Nano-Oil.com
Nano-Oil.com is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default 20160429 Segway Lithium Airline hassle

Hello, I am new here and landed here because I was researching the rules on the Real Segways with Lithium/ so I will post here a statement and request that I just made to Dan Wood at www.IATA.org
here it is unedited (I hope it is OK):
Hello Mister Good

I am ADA and have to fly 7 days after a double hernia surgery starting June 2nd 2016.

Is a real US made Segway HT80 allowed,
I have traveled by Airlines, mainly Southwest since 2004 with my Segway with no problems what so ever,
Only last week in San Diego, a last minute double check brought me out of TSA check, back to Southwest counter where the manager was called in and went on his computer which brought up the file including pictures of battery for identification,
I did clear the inspection but I do not know if it was by oversight on his part or not, I would love to have been able to read the verbiage and have seen the pictures but I was so late by then that I almost missed the flight,
Is there any way that I can have access to the guideline file
I am ADA flying 7 days after double hernia surgery , OAK to ATL with Southwest then jump on Air France to CDG then back to ATL via Delta then back to OAK with Southwest all within a month.
Any comments or advice will be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

---
Best Regards, Christian StClaire 707 235-4029 eMail: StClaireUSA@gmail.com www.Nano-Oil.com
Quick Links: www.Nano-Oil.com/Products.html www.Nano-Oil.com/HappyCustomers.html www.Nano-Oil.com/Applications.html

GSA contract # GS-07F-0825N
- Defense Logistics/DIBBS - GSA - DoD eMall - GSA Advantage - AAFES Online Mall
- BSC’s (Base Supply Stores) - NATO & UN Procurement
Nano-Oil.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:04 AM   #8
Gimpy guy
Gimpy guy is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano-Oil.com View Post
Hello, I am new here and landed here because I was researching the rules on the Real Segways with Lithium/ so I will post here a statement and request that I just made to Dan Wood at www.IATA.org
here it is unedited (I hope it is OK):
Hello Mister Good

I am ADA and have to fly 7 days after a double hernia surgery starting June 2nd 2016.

Is a real US made Segway HT80 allowed,
I have traveled by Airlines, mainly Southwest since 2004 with my Segway with no problems what so ever,
Only last week in San Diego, a last minute double check brought me out of TSA check, back to Southwest counter where the manager was called in and went on his computer which brought up the file including pictures of battery for identification,
I did clear the inspection but I do not know if it was by oversight on his part or not, I would love to have been able to read the verbiage and have seen the pictures but I was so late by then that I almost missed the flight,
Is there any way that I can have access to the guideline file
I am ADA flying 7 days after double hernia surgery , OAK to ATL with Southwest then jump on Air France to CDG then back to ATL via Delta then back to OAK with Southwest all within a month.
Any comments or advice will be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

---
Best Regards, Christian StClaire 707 235-4029 eMail: StClaireUSA@gmail.com www.Nano-Oil.com
Quick Links: www.Nano-Oil.com/Products.html www.Nano-Oil.com/HappyCustomers.html www.Nano-Oil.com/Applications.html

GSA contract # GS-07F-0825N
- Defense Logistics/DIBBS - GSA - DoD eMall - GSA Advantage - AAFES Online Mall
- BSC’s (Base Supply Stores) - NATO & UN Procurement
Just a few things.

You have said a few times that you are "ADA". The ADA is a law not a description of a person. You would be a American with a disability.

When it comes to the airlines it's not the ADA that dictates policy it's the ACAA, Air Carriers access Act. The ADA is a moot point once your at the gate.

If you flew with Ninh batts southwest was correct to allow them. If they were lions they were in error and you could be liable for flying with Lions.

I've found that exact info is important when emailing people. Like is the mans name Wood or Good ? The Segway you mention doesn't exist. It would be an I180 not an HT80 and where it's made is of no matter.

Know the laws that protect your rights, and what laws are applicable to the situation.
Also be aware of those there to mitigate issues, such as a CRO.

Last edited by Gimpy guy; 06-07-2016 at 06:27 AM..
Gimpy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 01:36 AM   #9
segrick-ATL
segrick-ATL is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Just spent an hour putting together a reply - bam - gong. I'll try again later. But, I'll leave with this'

LithiumSegs can fly.
http://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=33527
You can get the feel from that and search other thread about hat time. I caught hell for saying that were OK - in some caxes-
Read - I'll post after sleep
Old 06-09-2016, 09:19 AM   #10
JW Hunter
JW Hunter is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Still a unresolved issue

This issue is far from resolved. There is no question that for a time Southwest Airlines and one or two others were allowing Segways with lithium-ion batteries to be transported.

it seems that after the hover board fiasco that all changed. Southwest Airlines at some point reversed the policy and did not allow Segways With lithium-ion batteries to be transported, claiming the watt hour in the batteries was too high.

Perhaps they have once again changed that policy but I can't confirm that.

What is true is that the IATA is not a regulatory agency but rather a trade association. However even under their guidance there is no requirement to transport but rather the option is given to each individual airline and to the pilot in command.

Of course this creates an issue in that you may be able to travel on one leg of a trip but find that you will be denied on another. Very challenging for a person with a disability.
JW Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote