SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:28 PM   #21
Tritium
Tritium will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

If it's a female, I'll reply "How much do YOU cost baby?"
If it's a male, I'll reply "How much do YOU cost baby?"
Tritium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:38 AM   #22
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritium View Post
If it's a female, I'll reply "How much do YOU cost baby?"
If it's a male, I'll reply "How much do YOU cost baby?"
i like it. An equal opportunity offender...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:35 PM   #23
terryp
terryp has a spectacular aura aboutterryp has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I got the cost question yesterday from some teenagers - phrased as 'How much is it?'. That made my answer easy: 'It's not for sale.'
Old 05-05-2014, 12:43 AM   #24
Kirk
Kirk is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I usually tell people it's priceless- it's my 'green' transportation- that works most of the time...it changes their perception from 'rich person's toy' to 'clean environmental transporter'
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:11 AM   #25
Hans Willems
Hans Willems is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryp View Post
I got the cost question yesterday from some teenagers - phrased as 'How much is it?'. That made my answer easy: 'It's not for sale.'
What a very good answer, I am asked this question many times, it imbarres me, I normaly say, I dont know you must look for it on the internet.
Hans Willems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:26 PM   #26
hsvendsen
hsvendsen

5 yr Member
Default A Lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiem View Post
I glide all over my city, including some not-to-affluent areas, if you catch my drift, and wherever I go it's the same story. 80% of the people that make a comment ask how much it cost. I don't really want to share what I paid, and I don't want to advertise what they cost new. I don't want to be rude and tell them it's none of their business (despite the fact that they are being rude by asking), but I don't want to just ignore them either.

Today I insulted a kid with one of my standard responses of simply "too much". He thought I meant he couldn't afford one and started telling me he was wearing a $6k watch. What I meant by it is that I think they're overpriced for what they are but I didn't stick around to explain that to him.

Anyone come up with a clever retort? I've told some people I got it at the bottom of a CrackerJack box. I'm thinking of telling people it was awarded to me in a personal injury suit. I let people ride it wherever I go. I stop and answer questions all the time. I'm just tired of THIS question being the most common thing people ask.
I never take offence at this - very common - question. It is usually accompanied by "how fast will it go?" and "how far will it go?". All the questions indicate that the questioner does not know anything about Segways, and is genuinely fascinated with this unique mode of transportation.

I usually tell them that a new one will run between six and seven grand, but that a good used clunker (like the one I am driving) will run between one and two grand on eBay. It is when I tell them that a new set of batteries will run close to two grand that they pale.

I consider their interest in my Segway to be flattering, and that they would like to have one themselves - until they hear about the batteries! Assuming that the Li-Ions are good for - say - 5,000 miles, that's $0.40 per mile. Gas for a small car is a whole lot cheaper than that!!
Old 05-11-2014, 01:29 AM   #27
Tritium
Tritium will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsvendsen View Post
I never take offence at this - very common - question. It is usually accompanied by "how fast will it go?" and "how far will it go?". All the questions indicate that the questioner does not know anything about Segways, and is genuinely fascinated with this unique mode of transportation.

I usually tell them that a new one will run between six and seven grand, but that a good used clunker (like the one I am driving) will run between one and two grand on eBay. It is when I tell them that a new set of batteries will run close to two grand that they pale.

I consider their interest in my Segway to be flattering, and that they would like to have one themselves - until they hear about the batteries! Assuming that the Li-Ions are good for - say - 5,000 miles, that's $0.40 per mile. Gas for a small car is a whole lot cheaper than that!!
Some people have had their sets last 10,000+ miles
That's twenty cents per mile, and no maintenance (other than the occasional grip replacement or tyre change)
Many cars get only 20MPG, and in California, gas gets near $5 per gallon sometimes, which equates to about 25 cents per mile.
Not including $1000 tyre changes, $50 oil changes, $??? Brake pads, etc.
Tritium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:15 PM   #28
bud01234
bud01234 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

...and if you can find a good used I2 on ebay for 1 or 2 thousand (that's not a scam), then I've got some watches for you to look at.
bud01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:02 PM   #29
kendall69
kendall69 can only hope to improve

5 yr Member
Default Here's a concept....

Here's a concept....why not just tell them what it costs, what's the " big secret"

No one expects you to say it was free, and if you tell them it's 2K, 4K, 5K , 10K - like Hillary Clinton said " WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE ANY WAY.

There are many reasons someone one might ask the price. The may want to buy one and you got a great price like 1K then that may be their goal to find on at that price. If you paid 10K, then they might realize they can never afford that and move on.

So seriously asking a question on what to tell people what it costs is ludicrous. JUST TELL THEM .
kendall69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:03 AM   #30
jimmiem
jimmiem is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendall69 View Post
Here's a concept....why not just tell them what it costs, what's the " big secret"

So seriously asking a question on what to tell people what it costs is ludicrous. JUST TELL THEM .
I believe I addressed this in my OP. I'm not comfortable answering the question, and it's none of their business what I paid. Sometimes people say "that's totally worth it" and other times they look at me like I spent $20,000 on Jello Pudding Pops. I prefer not to have the price discussion. You are welcome to handle the situation however you like but I am looking for ways to make it less uncomfortable for me.
jimmiem is offline   Reply With Quote